July 27, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 114, s. 2016
2016 WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY
Bureau and Service Directors
ARMM DepEd Secretary
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Republic Act (RA) No. 6759, Declaring August 1 of Every Year as White Cane Safety Day, the Department of Education (DepEd), through the Bureau of Learning Delivery-Student Inclusion Division (BLD-SID), will celebrate the 2016 White Cane Safety Day to support the efforts of the present administration in promoting good governance through respect and realization of all human rights. This year’s theme is Puting Baston: Matibay na Gabay Tungo sa Sama-samang Pag-angat at Pagkakapantay-pantay ng Lahat.
2. The Celebration will commence with the activities celebrating Sight Saving Month in August. The activities aim to:
a. stimulate public awareness on the rights and welfare of people who are blind and with low vision;
b. promote recognition and acceptance of the white cane as symbol of mobility and safety for people who are blind and with low vision;
c. strengthen and protect the physical, moral and social well-being of people who are blind and with low vision; and
d. serve as vehicle of information on the continuing development of programs being implemented through partnerships between public and private sectors to realize the rights and fundamental freedom of people who are blind and with low vision.
3. The following relevant activities may be conducted at the regional level through the initiative of the Special Education (SPED) regional supervisor or focal person, in cooperation with other government organizations (GOs), nongovernment organizations (NGOs), civic organizations (COs), and white cane interagency committee throughout the month of August and beyond:
a. showcasing of talents of blind and low vision learners;
b. sharing of information on best practices concerning the education of the visually impaired by inviting blind learners or educators as resource persons and other professionals working for people who are blind and with low vision;
c. inviting either opthalmologists or optometrists to conduct free eye examination and screening to visually
d. holding of symposia, fora, workshops, panel discussions and sports, arts and cultural activities relevant to the prevention and rehabilitation of blindness; and
e. holding of academic contests in Braille reading and writing, quiz bee, and other activities which highlight the talents, skills and rights of the visually impaired learners.
4. All SPED centers, and public and private schools with SPED programs are encouraged to observe the White Cane Safety Day with appropriate activities. However, activities to be undertaken should not disrupt classes as stipulated in DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005 entitled Instituting Measures to Increase Engaged Time-on-Task and Ensuring Compliance Therewith.
5. Every region shall submit a brief narrative with pictorial report on the Celebration to BLD-SID, Department of Education Central Office (DepEd CO), 2nd Floor, Bonifacio Building, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
6. More details may be inquired from BLD-SID at telephone no. (02) 631-9993.
7. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES