July 29, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 116, s. 2016
DESIGNATION OF DR. NELIA V. BENITO AS NATIONAL RESEARCH COORDINATOR OF TRENDS IN INTERNATIONAL MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE STUDY
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
All Others Concerned
1. To provide the Department of Education (DepEd) with an additional tool in measuring the effectiveness of the Enhanced Basic Education Curriculum and its delivery systems, the Philippines will participate in the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) in 2019. TIMSS is an international large-scale assessment conducted in a four-year cycle to Grades 4, 8 and 12.
2. It aims to measure the skills and knowledge of learners in reading, numeracy and science.This is administered into two categories: TIMSS Studies, and TIMSS Advanced. The DepEd believes that through its participation in TIMSS 2019, reliable and timely data on the Filipino learners’ level of academic achievements in the fields of Mathematics and Science across the country will be established. Further, by having a comprehensive picture of how learners perform and progress in these subject areas, appropriate, relevant and better policy reforms to further improve teaching and learning approaches which are aligned to international standards will be formulated.
3. In view of this, Dr. Nelia V. Benito, Director IV of Bureau of Education Assessment (BEA) has been designated by the undersigned as TIMSS National Research Coordinator effective June 7, 2016.
4. As TIMSS National Research Coordinator, Dr. Benito is responsible for undertaking all tasks related to the development and implementation of TIMSS in the country.
5. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES