2017 Philippine National Games and Batang Pinoy
June 27, 2017
DepEd Memorandum No. 113, s. 2017
2017 PHILIPPINE NATIONAL GAMES AND BATANG PINOY
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Philippine Sports Commission (PSC), in partnership with the Department of Education (DepEd), will hold the 2017 Philippine National Games (PNG) and Batang Pinoy (BP) by leg on the following dates with respective venues:
|Leg||Batang Pinoy||Philippine National Games|
|Mindanao Games||July 9-15, 2017 Oroquieta City||-|
|Visayas Games||September 23-29, 2017 Dumaguete City||-|
|Luzon Games||October 22-28, 2017 Venue to be announced||-|
|National Championships||February 18-24, 2018 Venue to be announced||December 3-9, 2017 Cebu City|
2. The PNG serves as the final tryout or qualifying tournament for the selection of the national pool of athletes to represent the Philippines in international competitions. The BP, on the other hand, provides a significant avenue for the in-school and out-of-school children to get involved in sports. It harnesses athletic skills at an early age, offers opportunities for social integration, and develops admirable values through sports. High-performing athletes discovered in this event may also be considered to participate in the national developmental pool.
3. The DepEd, through its regional and schools division offices, shall extend its support to the successful conduct of the 2017 PNG and BP.
4. The guidelines on the participation of public elementary and secondary school learners as athletes, and the involvement of school officials and personnel, teachers, as well as coaches and officiating officials are as follows:
a. Expenses of the learner-athletes and school coaches relative to their participation in the 2017 PNG and BP activities shall be shouldered by the local government units (LGUs), which they represent. No funds coming from the DepEd shall be used for the said event. There shall be no fund raising activity by field officials, public school administrators or teachers for the some purpose;
b. The LGUs shall coordinate with the schools division physical education and school sports (PESS) supervisors regarding the identification, recruitment, and participation of the learner-athletes, and the designation of coaches. It is desired that they shall be guided by the performance standards set in their last district or division athletic meets on deciding the events in which their athletes can compete;
c. Physical Education and other public school teachers and nonteaching employees selected by the National Sports Associations (NSAs), as confirmed by the PSC and approved by the DepEd, through their respective schools division superintendents or heads of offices, shall serve as officiating officials in the 2017 PNG and BP and they shall attend on official time only;
d. Participation of learner-athletes in any PSC-sponsored activities contributes to the total development of the child and their attendance is encouraged, thus make-up classes, which shall be held after each cluster and the national championships for all participating learner-athletes shall be arranged accordingly by their respective class advisers and school principals;
e. PSC shall allocate funds for the 2017 PNG and BP, which shall include, but not limited to, food, accommodations, honoraria, and transportation expenses of all DepEd technical officials to and from the host city; and
f. Public school premises shall not be used as sports competition venues, billeting areas, and other related purposes; unless otherwise approved by DepEd through the Office of the Undersecretary for Governance and Operations.
5. For more information, all concerned may contact either Mr. Ronnel O. Abrenica or Ms. Alona Quintos, Philippine Sports Commission at telephone nos. (02) 525-0808 or (02) 521-2364 locals 888 and 168, or mobile phone nos. 0916-423-6494 or 0919-545-7252.
6. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES