Reply To: Is Bonifacio Global City Truly Photo Friendly?
From: Nicco Valenzuela
Had a very fruitful meeting this afternoon with Mr. Marc Buencamino, Mr. Manny Blas of Fort Bonifacio Development Corporation (FDBC), the governing body over Bonifacio Global City (BGC) and of course Jay Jallorina about the issue regarding the sign that says “BGC is Photo-friendly” and the incident yesterday with the BGC marshals.
Here are the points discussed:
1. FBDC is very much apologetic for the incident. Mr. Blas said that they “blew it” by not being able to communicate the details of the policy about doing photography in BGC to their security personnel.
2. FBDC posted the “Photo-friendly” sign with the intention of telling photographers that photography is indeed allowed (and even embraced) in BGC with very few exceptions.
BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE POLICY:
– ALL CAMERAS ARE ALLOWED (even the professional/sophisticated looking ones)
– ON CAMERA FLASH UNITS are allowed
– TRIPODS are allowed
THINGS THAT REQUIRE A PERMIT:
– Use of lightstands/umbrellas/softboxes (they may be obstructive to the walkways)
– shoots for commercial purposes
– shoots for weddings/debut
– Film shoots
PLACES NOT ALLOWED:
– Utility areas
ALL KINDS OF PHOTOGRAPHY ARE ALLOWED.
SOME REQUIRE A PERMIT. SOME AREAS ARE OFF LIMITS.
3. The flaw was that the Marshals who are in charge of security in the common areas in BGC (Streets, parks, etc) were not properly oriented regarding the “Photo-friendly” policy. The Bonifacio High Street guards were. FBDC has promised to ensure more effective dissemination of the policy to their security personnel.
4. FBDC apologizes for the rude behavior of some of their marshals and promise that they be told to give more respect when talking to anyone.
QUICK GUIDE WHEN SHOOTING:
1. Follow policy. Secure permits if indicated.
2. Do not obstruct the walkways
3. You may still be approached about the nature of your shoot but once the security personnel have been oriented, proper communication with them will suffice.
4. Converse with the guards with respect in the same way you would like to be respected.
5. Have fun!
Kudos to BGC and FBDC for seeking to resolve the issue very quickly!