December 09, 2019
DepEd Memorandum No. 180, s. 2019
Table of Contents
HOSTING OF THE 12th ASEAN SCHOOLS GAMES
Bureau and Service Directors
Minister, Basic, Higher, and Technical Education, BARMM
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
- The Department of Education (DepEd) announces the Philippines’ hosting of the 12th ASEAN Schools Games (ASG) with the theme, Inspire, Play and Experience from November 7 to 15, 2020 in Dumaguete City. The event shall be hosted by the local governments of Dumaguete City and the Province of Negros Oriental, and DepEd Region VII.
- The ASG is an annual sports competition among secondary students, organized under the ASEAN School Sports Council (ASSC). The event aims to provide ASEAN solidarity in the youth through school sports, opportunities for school athletes to benchmark their sporting talents, and to interact and engage in cultural exchanges within ASEAN.
- The participating countries are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- The following sports events shall be conducted: archery, athletics, badminton, basketball, sepak takraw, swimming, table tennis, and volleyball. Competitions shall be governed by their respective international rules and regulations unless otherwise amended by the organizing committee, with concurrence of the participating ASEAN countries.
- In line with this, a National Executive Committee (NEC) and different technical working committees are constituted to ensure the successful conduct of the ASG. The composition of the NEC and the technical working committees, including their terms of references, are provided in the enclosure.
- The committee chairpersons shall convene regular meetings and provide feedback to the head of the Steering Committee, who shall then report to the NEC.
- The 12th ASG Overall Secretariat shall act on daily operations and preparations, provide support to the different working committees, and exercise other functions as may be directed by the Secretary of Education. The Secretariat shall report directly to the NEC.
- All expenses relative to the conduct of the 12th ASG shall be charged to the 2020 NEP Physical Fitness and School Sports Fund, subject to the usual auditing and accounting rules and regulations.
- For more information, contact the 12th ASEAN Schools Games Secretariat, DepEd Sub-Regional Office 7, Jose Pro Teves Street, Dumaguete City through email at 12thASGSecretariat@gmail.com or telephone no. +63 35 422-1579.
- Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
(Enclosure to DepEd Memorandum No. 180, s. 2019)