2017 National Heroes Day
Enclosed is Unnumbered Memorandum entitled: 2017 National Heroes Day, for information and guidance of all concerned.
Attention is particularly invited to paragraph nos. 3, 4 and 5 of the said Memorandum.
Immediate and wide dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
Tanggapan ng Kawaksing Kalihim
Office of the Assistant Secretary
Legal and Legislative Affairs/Partnerships and External Linkages
2017 NATIONAL HEROES DAY
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Regional and Division Special Events Coordinators
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Administrative Order No. 23, s. 2011, and by virtue of Act No. 3827, the nation will celebrate the National Heroes Day on the last Monday of August. This is in commemoration of the known and unknown heroes of the Philippine Revolution, the Philippine-American War and World War II. The National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP), in cooperation and in coordination with other government agencies and non-government organizations/associations, will lead the undertaking of various activities to observe this event.
2. This significant occasion in Philippine history will be highlighted by the wreath-laying ceremonies to be held on August 28, 2017, 8:00am at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (LNMB), Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City. The wreath-laying ceremonies will also be replicated in different cities and municipalities nationwide to be spearheaded by the local government units (LGU’s).
3. In support of the celebration, the Department of Education (DepEd) will join in the commemorative program and activities at the LNMB. The DepEd National Capital Region (NCR)-Division of Taguig-Pateros shall be the lead division.
4. To make this year’s celebration more meaningful, all public and private schools are encouraged to carry out activities integrated into related subject areas, such as Sibika at Kultura, Hekasi, Araling Panlipunan, Values Education, Music, Arts, Physical Education and Health (MAPE/MAPEH), Filipino and English, during classroom discussions to highlight the courage and patriotism of these national heroes.
5. Likewise, on August 17-28, teachers may conduct classroom essay writing, drawing, storytelling, debate on the values, heroism, nationalism, patriotism and love of country, that were exhibited by the heroes during the trying periods of this country. To end the week, the Social Studies Department may spearhead the conduct of a simple campus program to be participated on by the students.
6. Further information may be obtained from the External Partnerships Service (EPS) Special Events Unit (SEU), located at M-125 Mabini Bldg. DepEd Central Office, DepEd Complex, MEralco Ave., Pasig City with the following tel. nos. (02) 637 5832/34 or mobile nos. 09224636626, 09295989089, 09186983153, 09174604388.
7. Immediate and wide dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
TONISITO M.C. UMALI, Esq.
Legislative Affairs/Partnerships and External Linkages and School Sports