June 27, 2016
DepEd Order No. 46, s. 2016
Table of Contents
Implementing Rules and Regulation of Republic Act No. 10743 (An Act Declaring the Fifth Day of October of Every Year as the National Teachers’ Day otherwise known as the National Teachers’ Day)
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) issues the enclosed Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act No. 10743 entitled An Act Declaring the Fifth Day of October of Every Year as the National Teachers’ Day otherwise known as the National Teachers’ Day.
2. This IRR shall provide the concerned national government agencies, local government units, other public institutions, nongovernment organizations and private institutions with adequate guidelines in celebrating the National Teachers’ Day.
3. This IRR shall take effect 15 days after its publication in the Official Gazette or in a newspaper of general circulation. For this purpose, the Public Affairs Service Publications Division (PAS PD) is directed to facilitate such publication and immediately register this IRR with the Office of the National Administrative Register (ONAR) at the University of the Philippines, Quezon City.
4. All DepEd Orders and other related issuances, rules and regulations and provisions which are inconsistent with these guidelines are hereby repealed, rescinded, or modified accordingly.
5. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
(Sgd)BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
(Enclosure to DepEd Order No. 46, s. 2016)
IMPLEMENTING RULES AND REGULATIONS OF REPUBLIC ACT NO. 10743 ENTITLED AN ACT DECLARING THE FIFTH DAY OF OCTOBER OF EVERY YEAR AS THE NATIONAL TEACHERS’ DAY
Section 1. Title. This rules and regulations shall be known as the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act No. 10743 entitled, “An Act Declaring the Fifth Day of October of Every Year as the National Teachers’ Day”(NTD) otherwise known as the National Teachers Day.
Section 2. Purpose. This IRR shall provide the concerned national government agencies, local government units, other public institutions, nongovernment organizations and private institutions with adequate guidelines in celebrating the National Teachers’ Day.
Section 3. General Policy. The State recognizes the international observance of World Teachers’ Day which was first observed in 1994 by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to commemorate the signing on October 5, 1966 of the Joint UNESCO-International Labor Organization Recommendation Concerning the Status of Teachers, a landmark document that sought to establish international standards as bases to promote and protect the teaching profession.
It is also the policy of the State, by virtue of Presidential Proclamation No. 242 (s. 2011), declaring the period 05 September to 05 October of every year as “National Teachers’ Month” (NTM). All concerned departments, agencies, and instrumentalities of the national government, the various local government units, the private sector and the public at large are enjoined to actively participate and support activities and programs for the celebration thereof.
Towards this end, as the culminating activity of the National Teachers’ Month and to ensure a meaningful observance of this special working holiday, all heads of government agencies and instrumentalities, including government-owned and controlled corporations especially those that are directly dealing with the teachers, including local government units, and employers in the private sector, shall encourage and afford sufficient time and opportunities for their employees to engage and participate in any activity conducted within the premises of their offices or establishments in the celebration of the National Teachers’ Day.
Section 4. Establishment of National Teachers’ Day Coordinating Council.
There shall be established a National Teachers’ Day Coordinating Council (NTDCC). It shall be composed of the heads of the Department of Education, Commission on Higher Education and Technical Education Skills and Development Authority, Department of Interior and Local Government, Government Service Insurance System, Social Security System, Home Development Mutual Fund, LandBank of the Philippines and other government owned and controlled corporations, and private companies and organizations.
The Secretary of Education shall serve as the Chairperson of the Council. NTDCC members may nominate one representative from the private sector to act as cochairperson of the Council.
Members from the Private Sector are encouraged to develop programs and activities intended to contribute to the growth and development of the teaching profession in the country as well as to publicly express appreciation to teachers, both active and retired. The Members shall encourage other private entities to participate in the observance of the NTD and in the conduct of programs, projects and activities prior to the NTD.
Section 5. Roles and Responsibilities of NTDCC. The following shall be the roles and responsibilities of the NTDCC:
- Develop the strategic plan in the observance of the National Teachers’ Day and monitor progress of its implementation;
- Ensure the alignment of the National Teachers’ Day celebration with government priorities;
- Ensure the implementation of activities for this observance;
- Approve the annual budget plan for National Teachers’ Day;
- Coordinate with private sector groups to ensure alignment of activities for the entire National Teachers’ Month;
- Nominate from among its members staff and personnel to serve as the NTDCC Secretariat;
- Promote cooperation and solidarity among the Members of the Council; and
- Promote nationwide information and education campaigns for the National Teachers’ Day.
Section 6. Secretariat. The DepEd Secretary shall designate from its ranks an official to serve as head of the Secretariat. The Secretariat shall serve as the coordinating body of the DepEd with other Council Members.
Section 7. Meetings. The Council shall meet at least twice a year. Special meetings may be called for by the Chairperson at the request of any Member of the Council.
Section 8. Commitment of Members. The members shall adhere to the agreements of the NTDCC and shall carry out activities for the observance of the National Teachers’ Day.
1. All members shall have equal rights to participate in all NTDCC activities.
2. To ensure effective collaboration, members shall endeavor to implement the following measures in the best possible manner:
a. Provide funding on a cost-sharing basis or other modes of arrangement, including but not limited to, the availment of the provisions of Republic Act 8525 otherwise known as the Adopt-a-School Program Act, and other public- private partnerships, for collaborative projects either with government or private entities;
b. Generate funds from other sources to support NTDCC projects;
c. Allocate funding, as may be applicable, from its budget to support or’ initiate activities for the NTD and NTM celebrations;
3. Each Member may authorize its staff or personnel to serve in the NTDCC Secretariat; and
4. Each Member shall promote nationwide information and education campaigns within its ranks and networks.
Section 9. Amendments. A request for amendment of this IRR may be initiated by any Member of the Council and presented as an agenda at the NTDCC meeting for endorsement to the Secretary of Education for his consideration.
Section 10. Separability Clause. If any provision in this IRR, or application of such provision to any circumstance, is declared invalid or unconstitutional, the other provisions not affected thereby shall remain valid and subsisting.
Section 11. Effectivity Clause. This IRR shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication in the Official Gazette or in a national newspaper of general circulation.
This IRR shall be registered with the Office of the National Administrative Register at the University of the Philippines Law Center, UP Diliman, Quezon City.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
Secretary, Department of Education
- DO 49, s. 2016 – Guidelines on the Hiring of Contractual (Full-time and Part-time) Teachers in Senior High School
- DO 45, s. 2016 – High School Graduates who are Eligible to Enrol in Higher Education Institution in School Year 2017-2018
- DO 47, s. 2016 – Omnibus Policy on Kindergarten Education
- DO 48, s. 2016 – Policy and Guidelines on Comprehensive Tobacco Control
[scribd id=316926597 key=key-C3GBhLMluNnMDNnoPw5X mode=scroll]