March 14, 2016
DepEd MEMORANDUM No. 40, s. 2016
MANDATORY CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION (MCLE) FEES OF DEPED LAWYERS IN THE CENTRAL, REGIONAL AND SCHOOLS DIVISION OFFICES
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Section 1 of Bar Matter 850 dated October 2, 2001 issued by the Supreme Court, Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) is required of members of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) to ensure that throughout their career, they keep abreast with law and jurisprudence, to maintain the ethics of the profession and to enhance the standards of the practice of law.
2. In view of this, the Department of Education (DepEd) recognizes the need of its lawyers employed in the Central Office (CO), regional offices (ROs) and schools division offices (SDOs) to continue to educate themselves in the study of law in order to efficiently and effectively resolve the legal issues and concerns which confront this Department.
3. In this connection, the DepEd supports their attendance to the MCLE, through the grant of financial assistance for payment of the registration fee or charge for participation therein, subject to the limitations set by the enclosed National Budget Circular No. 486 s. 2003 entitled Amending National Budget Circular (NBC) No. 442, dated March 29, 1995 Relative to the Cost of Participation of Government Officials and Employees in Conventions, Seminars, Conferences, Symposia and Similar Non-Training Gatherings Sponsored by Non-Govemment Organizations or Private Institutions.
Specifically, Paragraph 3.2 states that,
“The registration fee or charge for participation in said convention, seminar, etc. shall not exceed P 1,200 per day per participant. Any amount in excess of the prescribed rate shall be at the expense of the participant.”
Further, Paragraph 3.5 of the same Circular reads,
“All expenditures for the purpose shall not exceed the annual appropriation for training and seminar expenses of agencies concerned and shall be subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations. ”
4. The registration of the participants shall be charged to local funds, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
5. This Memorandum shall cover all DepEd lawyers employed in the CO, ROs, and SDOs.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
[scribd id=304641701 key=key-eT60geTTBTBMp6Y86vXd mode=scroll]