September 28, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 158, s. 2016
World Rabies Day Celebration 2016
1. The Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Animal Industry (DA-BAI), through the National Rabies Prevention and Control Committee (NRPCC), created pursuant to Republic Act No. 9482 entitled Anti-Rabies Act of 2007, will spearhead the World Rabies Day (WRD) Celebration on September 28, 2016. This year’s celebration carries the theme Rabies: Educate. Vaccinate. Eliminate., in conjunction with the Celebration of the Animal Welfare Week.
2. In this connection, all public and private elementary and secondary schools are enjoined to participate in the WRD Celebration to strengthen rabies prevention education and disseminate information on animal bite prevention/management and responsible pet ownership. Some suggested activities are as follows:
a. Hanging of streamers/tarpaulins with rabies prevention messages in strategic places within the school;
b. Mobilizing school health personnel by conducting seminars/fora for teachers and parents to strengthen rabies education;
c. Disseminating rabies awareness information materials;
d. Organizing educational and social activities such as poster/slogan-making contest, AVP-making contest, song-writing contest, essaywriting contest in schools to create greater awareness about rabies control and prevention and responsible pet owernship; and
e. Coordinating with other government agencies and the private sector in conducting rabies awareness activities within schools and communities.
3. In line with the government support to the Global Alliance for Rabies Control (GARC), all public and private elementary and secondary schools and DepEd units / sectors are also encouraged to share and register their WRD events on the GARC facebook page:
a. Like /follow the GARC facebook page: https: / /www.facebook.com/GlobalAllianceforRabiesControl/;
b. Create a public event or facebook;
c. Share the event on your timeline (choose the share with public setting); and
d. Invite GARC to your WRD event by tagging @GlobalAllianceforRabiesControl and using the hashtag #WorldRabiesDay.
4. For online resources on rabies, all concerned may visit the GARC (https://rabiesalliance.org/world-rabies-day/event-resources) and Blueprint for Canine Rabies Prevention and Control (http://caninerabiesblueprint.org/) Websites to help you in organizing your activities.
5. To know more about the WRD Celebration and other concerns, all concerned may coordinate with Dr. Noverlee Calub, Animal Health and Welfare Division, Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Animal Industry (DA-BAI) at telephone no. (02) 928-2836; mobile phone no. 0917-556-3964 or email address: email@example.com.
6. Regional directors and schools division superintendents are encouraged to support rabies awareness and prevention education.
7. For more information, all concerned may contact the Office of the Director, Bureau of Learner Support Services (BLSS), Attention: Chief of School Health Division (SHD), Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone nos. (02) 635-3768 or (02) 636-3602.
8. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES