May 2, 2019
DepEd Memorandum 53, s. 2019
121st ANNIVERSARY OF THE PROCLAMATION OF PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENCE
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 110, s. 1963 entitled Declaring June 12 as Philippine Independence Day, the 121st Anniversary of the Proclamation of Philippine Independence will be commemorated from May 28 to June 30, 2019 with the theme Kalayaan 2019: Pagbabagong Ipinaglaban, Alay sa Masaganang Kinabukasan. All departments, bureaus, offices, government agencies and government owned and controlled corporations are required to give full support, assistance and cooperation to the National Steering Committee (NSC), chaired by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP), in the exercise of its responsibilities and functions to achieve the objectives of the celebration.
2. This year’s celebration aims to:
1. commemorate the heroism, patriotism, nationalism and self-sacrifice of the Filipinos’ forefathers in the struggle for independence;
2. instill in the hearts and minds of the youth the greatness of the Filipino race, the legacy of their national heroes and the ideals of their nationhood; and
3. show unity and strength during challenging times.
3. The exhibit on Pampamahalaang Programa at Serbisyo, an activity that will showcase the programs and services by different government offices, will be held from June 10 to 12, 2019, at the Rizal Park, Roxas Blvd., Manila from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Department of Education offices invited to participate are the following:
2. Public Assistance Action Center (PAAC),
3. Public Affairs Service (PAS),
4. Administrative Service (AS), General Services Division and Security Division,
5. Special Events Unit (EPS), National Technical Working Group (TWG)/Coordinator, and
6. DepEd-National Capital Region.
4. To commemorate the 121st Anniversary of Philippine Independence and observe the National Flag Day, the central office (CO), regional offices (ROs), school division offices (SDOs), and schools are required to conduct the following activities:
a. Simultaneous flag raising in schools or historical sites on June 12, 2019;
b. Display of the Philippine Flag in the respective classrooms (charge to MOOE), offices, and residences of all teaching and nonteaching personnel from May 15 to June 30, 2019;
c. Special discussions on the Philippine Flag for continuous flag awareness and discuss significant events in history, which led to the Proclamation of Philippine Independence, especially in Sibika at Kultura, HEKASI, Araling Panlipunart, Values Education, Music, Arts, Physical Education and Health (MAPEH), Filipino, and English at least once a week, for the whole school year;
d. Submission of school work related to the celebration of the Independence Day: Kindergarten to Grade 3 students will submit a drawing of the Philippine flag, while the higher grades will submit a one-page reflection paper on what they did during Independence Day or share experiences on what the Philippine Independence means to them to be collected by their respective faculty members and to be submitted to their division offices for filing;
e. Conduct of inter-school campus essay writing, drawing, storytelling, debate, and oratorical contest;
f. Conduct of symposium and/or round table discussion to raise awareness on the event and propagate values like nationalism, patriotism, and love of the country that were exhibited by the Filipinos during the trying periods of the country;
g. Conduct of a simple campus program to be participated in by the students and to be spearheaded by the Social Studies Department;
h. Putting up of a bulletin board or a venue within the campus where informative materials concerning the commemorative event may be displayed;
i. A month-long sharing of insights on the same topic is encouraged during the flag ceremony at the ROs, SDOs, and schools to be spearheaded by the Araling Panliptinan supervisors;
j. Joining military or civic parade; and
k. Other creative and fitting activities.
5. All DepEd officials, teachers, and students at the national, regional, division and school levels are required to actively participate in the scheduled activities.
6. DepEd requests the support, assistance and cooperation of the regions stated in the enclosure on the Simultaneous Flag Raising and Wreath-Laying Ceremonies on June 12, 2019, 7:00 a.m. at the different historical sites and venues. Cabinet Secretaries and/or their representatives (Undersecretary or Assistant Secretary level) are enjoined to attend the Flag Raising and Wreath-Laying Ceremonies with the President of the Republic of the Philippines.
7. Teachers shall receive appropriate service credits as stipulated in DepEd Order (DO) No. 53, s. 2003 entitled Updated Guidelines on Grant of Vacation Service Credits to Teachers, and DO 84, s. 2003 entitled Addendum to DepEd Order No. 53, s. 2003 (Updated Guidelines on Grant of Vacation Service Credits to Teachers), while nonteaching personnel should attend programs and activities on official time only.
8. Travel expenses (transportation and per diem) of the technical working group, meals, communication, documentation, supplies and carpentry materials, preparatory and other incidental expenses from May 28 to June 30, 2019 shall be charged to 2019 Building Partnerships and Linkages Program (BPLP) current funds, while the travel expenses of the exhibitors from different and other materials shall be charged to local funds, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
9. For more information, please contact Mr. Romeo B. Parayno, Unit Head, External Partnerships Service-Special Events Unit (EPS-SEU), Ground Floor, Mabini Building, Department of Education Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City through telephone nos. (02) 637-5832, (02) 637-5834 or mobile phone nos. 0922-463-6626, 0995-911-0429, 0929-598-9089 and 0917-460-4388.
10. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
Download DepEd Memorandum 53, s. 2019