76th Araw ng Kagitingan and Philippine Veterans Week Celebration
March 6, 2018
DepEd Memorandum No. 042, s. 2018
76th ARAW NG KAGITINGAN AND PHILIPPINE VETERANS WEEK CELEBRATION
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) announces the celebration of the 76th Araw ng Kagitingan, and Philippine Veterans Week. These celebrations are pursuant to Executive Order No. 203, s. 1987 entitled Providing a List of Regular Holidays and Special Days To Be Observed Throughout the Philippines and For Other Purposes, and Presidential Proclamation No. 466, s. 1989 entitled Declaring the Period April 5 to 11 of Every Year as Philippine Veterans Week
2. All government agencies including government-owned and controlled corporations, nongovernmental organizations, private associations and institutions, and individuals are enjoined to assist, cooperate, and participate in this historic commemoration.
3. The celebration aims to instill in the minds and hearts of the Filipino people especially the youth that the freedom the Filipinos enjoy today was nourished by the blood and sacrifices of the veteran forefathers.
4. To make this year’s celebration more meaningful, officials of the regional office, schools division, and schools are encouraged to discuss the significance of the Araw ng Kagitingan and Philippine Veterans Week every Monday from March 5 to April 2, 2018 during the flag raising ceremony. Likewise, the said officials are enjoined to conduct the following:
a. integrate activities into related subjects: (i) Sibika at Kultura; (ii) Heograpiya, Kasaysayan at Sining (HEKASI); (iii) Araling Panlipunan; (iv) Values Education; (v) Music, Arts, Physical Education and Health (MAPEH); (vi) Filipino; and (vii) English during classroom discussions to highlight the courage and patriotism of the veterans;
b. inter-school campus essay writing, drawing, storytelling, debate and oratorical contests;
c. symposium or round table discussion to raise awareness on the event, and learn the values, nationalism, patriotism and love of country which were exhibited by the veterans during the trying periods of this country;
d. simple campus program to be participated in by the learners, and to be spearheaded by the Social Studies Department; and
e. putting up of bulletin board within the campus and displaying informative materials concerning the commemorative events.
5. Expenses incurred relative to the conduct of the activities during the celebration shall be charged to local funds, regional/division/school Parent-Teacher Community Associations (PTCA), School Board Funds and other sources.
6. The travel allowance and per diem of the DepEd Central Office (CO) Technical Working Group members shall be charged to 2018 General Administrative and Support Service (GASS) Funds, subject to its availability. All expenses shall be subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
7. The Social Studies Department heads and the Division Special Events Office shall submit a report/documentation on the activities undertaken by the schools relative to the said celebration addressed to (copy furnished the regional director and schools division superintendent):
Tonisito M. C. Umali Esq.
Legislative Affairs/External Partnerships/School Sports
Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office
DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City
Mr. Romeo B. Parayno
External Partnerships Service-Special Events Unit
8. For more information, contact the External Partnerships Service-Special Events Unit (EPS-SEU), M-125 Mabini Building, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone nos. (02) 637-5832 or (02) 637-5834.
9. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES