Business Mathematics: Senior High School SHS Teaching Guide
This course will provide an understanding of the basic concepts of mathematics as applied in business. It includes a review of the fundamental mathematics operations using decimals, fractions, percent, ratio and proportion; mathematics concepts and skills in buying and selling, computing gross and net earnings, overtime and business data presentation, analysis and interpretation. The use of computer and software applications for computation and data presentation is encouraged.
This Teaching Guide is mapped and aligned to the DepEd SHS Curriculum, designed to be highly usable for teachers. It contains classroom activities and pedagogical notes, and is integrated with innovative pedagogies. All of these elements are presented in the following parts:
- Highlight key concepts and identify the essential questions
- Show the big picture
- Connect and/or review prerequisite knowledge
- Clearly communicate learning competencies and objectives
- Motivate through applications and connections to real-life
- Give local examples and applications
- Engage in a game or movement activity
- Provide a hands-on/laboratory activity
- Connect to a real-life problem
- Give a demonstration/lecture/simulation/hands-on activity
- Show step-by-step solutions to sample problems
- Give applications of the theory
- Connect to a real-life problem if applicable
- Discuss worked-out examples
- Provide easy-medium-hard questions
- Give time for hands-on unguided classroom work and discovery
- Use formative assessment to give feedback
- Provide additional examples and applications
- Introduce extensions or generalisations of concepts
- Engage in reflection questions
- Encourage analysis through higher order thinking prompts
- Supply a diverse question bank for written work and exercises
- Provide alternative formats for student work: written homework, journal, portfolio, group/individual projects, student-directed research project
On DepEd Functional Skills and CHED College Readiness Standards
As Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) welcome the graduates of the Senior High School program, it is of paramount importance to align Functional Skills set by DepEd with the College Readiness Standards stated by CHED.
The DepEd articulated a set of 21st century skills that should be embedded in the SHS curriculum across various subjects and tracks. These skills are desired outcomes that K to 12 graduates should possess in order to proceed to either higher education, employment, entrepreneurship, or middle-level skills development.
On the other hand, the Commission declared the College Readiness Standards that consist of the combination of knowledge, skills, and reflective thinking necessary to participate and succeed – without remediation – in entry-level undergraduate courses in college.
The alignment of both standards, shown below, is also presented in this Teaching Guide – prepares Senior High School graduates to the revised college curriculum which will initially be implemented by AY 2018-2019.
Download Business Mathematics: Senior High School SHS Teaching Guide
- General Mathematics: Senior High School SHS Teaching Guide
- Pre-Calculus: Senior High School SHS Teaching Guide
- Basic Calculus: Senior High School SHS Teaching Guide
- Statistics and Probability: Senior High School SHS Teaching Guide
- Physical Science: Senior High School SHS Teaching Guide
- Media and Information Literacy: Senior High School Teaching Guide