A classroom is a place where students go to learn and grow. But for students to feel comfortable and thrive in this environment, there must be a sense of safety and orderliness.
The following pillars can serve as a guide for teachers working to create a safe and orderly learning environment in their classrooms.
Table of Contents
Pillar 1: Classroom Rules
One of the most important things in creating a safe and orderly classroom environment is that everyone must follow the rules. These rules should be fair and reasonable and should be communicated to all students. When students know the rules and understand why they are in place, they are more likely to follow them.
Pillar 2: Consequences for Breaking Rules
Maintaining a safe and orderly classroom environment is critical to having fair and consistent consequences for students who break the rules. Students should know the consequences in advance, knowing what to expect if they break the rules.
Pillar 3: Positive Reinforcement
It is essential to use positive reinforcement to encourage students to follow the rules and have rules and consequences in place. This can be in the form of verbal praise, stickers, or other rewards. Students are more likely to continue following the rules when they feel they are being recognized for their good behavior.
Pillar 4: Clear Expectations
To create a safe and orderly classroom environment, set clear expectations for student behavior. Be specific about what is expected regarding conduct, work, and participation. When students know what is expected, they are more likely to meet those expectations.
Pillar 5: Consistency
It is essential to be consistent with your students’ expectations and consequences. This means that you should not make exceptions for certain students or situations. Students who see you being consistent are more likely to trust and respect you.
Pillar 6: Positive Relationships
One of the essential pillars of a safe and orderly classroom environment is having positive relationships with your students. Students are more likely to behave when they feel respected and valued. Therefore, taking the time to get to know your students and build positive relationships is crucial.
When all six pillars are in place, they can create a safe and orderly classroom environment where students feel comfortable and thrive.
What are other strategies essential for creating a safe and orderly classroom environment? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
HOW TO CITE THIS ARTICLE
Llego, M. A. (2022, September 16). 6 Pillars That Create a Safe and Orderly Classroom Environment. TeacherPH. Retrieved September 16, 2022 from, https://www.teacherph.com/safe-orderly-classroom-environment/
- The Impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) on the Future of Education
- Reflective Practice for Teachers: Why It Matters
- 10 Pillars of Outstanding Classroom Management
- How to Support LGBTQIA+ Students in the Classroom
- How to Stop Procrastinating: A Simple Guide for Students
- The Importance of Parental Involvement in Education
- 21st-Century Learning: What It Is and Why It’s Important
- Why Schools Should Encourage Parental Involvement in Education
- 50 Tips for Parents to Get More Involved in Their Child’s Education
- How to Create a Student-Centered Classroom
- Reading Intervention Strategies for Teachers: Detailed Guide
- How to Develop Effective Study Habits: A Step-by-Step Guide for Students
- How to Help Students Who Struggle With Reading Comprehension
- Differentiated Instruction: A How-To Guide for Teachers
- Benefits of Inclusive Education for All Students