Today, the development of society goes in parallel with the informatization. This is reflected in all spheres of life and professional activity of people. As technology plays an important part in modern social life, higher education institutions provide the use of computers in higher education, which is called to ensure computer literacy and information culture of students. Vip-Writers prepared an overview of how modern technologies help students to improve writing skills.
Table of Contents
Applications and games to improve grammar.
Gadgets have become an integral part of young people lives, which made it possible to use them to improve students’ knowledge. All you need is to download specific applications to your computer. Applications such as Lingualeo, Duolingo or Speak Up from Google Play will become good helpers in writing improving.
The World Wide Web is a place for numerous thematic sites dedicated to learning and improving a language. Different services offer different techniques for mastering the material. They all have a different structure, approach to learning and exercises. But they are united by the fact that regular classes on such services will definitely bear fruit. Therefore, whatever grammar site you choose, in any case, you will achieve a result. All sorts of tests and online exercises give students a unique opportunity to test themselves and discover weak points in their grammar knowledge.
Those who have difficulties in placing punctuation marks can not only read but also listen to books. Audiobooks with high-quality recording, with correctly delivered speech and beautiful pronunciation, will help to improve punctuation. For this reason, students use records of fiction to listen, which also improves their cultural development and horizons. However, this does not mean that books of a teaching nature should not be listened to. It’s still worth it! And it’s better to listen and take notes.
Knowledge delivery to e-mail – subscriptions.
Another way that will be quite interesting for students is electronic subscriptions. They can be used to upgrade their skills.
Making research on a complex specific topic is difficult to do without a dictionary. Using online reference books you can learn the spelling of the desired word or phrase as well as where they are used.
Transcription is the recording of an audio or video file in text format. Speech to text transcription is useful for:
- students to translate recorded audio or video lectures into text,
- bloggers, leading websites and blogs,
- writers, journalists for writing books and texts,
- info-businessmen who need a text after a webinar they held, a speech, etc.,
- people who find it difficult to print – they can dictate a letter and send it to relatives or friends.
It is obvious that no program can completely replace the manual work of deciphering the recorded speech. However, there are programs such as dictation.io, RealSpeaker, Speechlogger and Dragon Dictation, which can significantly speed up and facilitate the translation of speech into text, that is, to simplify the transcription.
If you set a goal and do everything to achieve it, you will achieve increased literacy and see the first results in the foreseeable future. The level of writing skills for each person is different, someone needs a month, week, six months to improve. The main thing is systematic exercising.
We suggest sticking to the following writing technology, consisted of three main stages.
- “Work” – the search for information is also a reading of various sources. This is a constant practice. Constant writing of texts also stimulates skills, because one way or another, the text is recorded on the “paper” or screen.
- “Edit” (correct) – it’s impossible to create the text without proofreading and mistakes checking. Any student is interested in receiving feedbacks with words about a variety of errors.
- “Develop” – this part is not obligatory, but it is very useful and pleasant. The more you delve into the secrets of writing, the more you expand your knowledge and professional skills. That is when books (the most diverse and interesting). thematic sites, video, and audio come to the rescue. At least 10 minutes a day will make your knowledge better.
We can continue to talk for a long time about how technology helps us in self-development, but there are also negative sides. It should be noted that the use of information sources published on the Internet by students often results in negative consequences. Most often, when using such sources, students are copying ready-made abstracts, projects, reports, and solutions to various tasks from school manuals, which does not contribute to improving the efficiency of education. Also, the high level of technology use in schools results in students’ superficial knowledge. For many students, the computer can remain just an exciting toy.