June 05, 2017
DepEd Memorandum No. 104, s. 2017
2017 National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation Week
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education through the Bureau of Learning Delivery-Student Inclusion Division (BLD-SID), will celebrate the 2017 National Disability Prevention and Rehabilitation (NDPR) Week with the theme Karapatan at Pribelehiyo ng Maykapansanan: Isakatuparan at Ipaglaban from July 17 to 23, 2017. The theme focuses on the realization of the fundamental freedom and rights of persons with disabilities as provided for in existing international mandates and national laws.
2. The NDPR Week, which started in 2000, culminates on the birthdate of Apolinario Mabini, the Sublime Paralytic on July 23 of every year.
3. The Celebration aims to stimulate public awareness on the issues and problems of disability. Hence, everyone is encouraged to take an active role in the upliftment of the economic and social conditions of persons with disabilities (PWDs) in the country.
4. As a member of the Governing Board created by the National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA), the DepEd supports the observance of said Celebration by undertaking the following activities:
a. Hanging of advocacy streamers (format is provided in Enclosure No. 1) in conspicuous places of schools/offices and wearing of prescribed t-shirts when attending to activities during the Celebration. The design may be downloaded from the NCDA Facebook page: http://facebook.com/nationalcouncilondisabilityaffairs; and
b. Submission of Feedback Report upon culmination of the Celebration. The template is provided in Enclosure No. 2 for ready reference.
5. The schools can select appropriate school activities which can be conducted at the school and/or schools division levels. The Special Education (SPED) centers, public and private schools with SPED programs are encouraged to undertake activities relevant to the theme of this year’s Celebration. However, all activities to be undertaken should not disrupt classes nor compromise their supervision pursuant to DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005 entitled Instituting Measures to Increase Engaged Time-on-Task and Ensuring Compliance Therewith.
6. For more information, all concerned may contact either Mr. Rizalino R. Sanchez or Ms. Delfina J. Baquir of National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA), NCDA Building, Isidora Street, Barangay Holy Spirit, Quezon City through mobile phone nos.: 0920-906-2306 and 0920-906-2286, or through telephone nos.: (02) 951-5013; (02) 932-6422 local 111, or through email address: [email protected]
7. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES