Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd), through the Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE) and the Bureau of Secondary Education (BSE), announces the conduct of the 2016 National Schools Press Conference (NSPC) with the theme The Role of 21st Century Campus Journalists in Upholding Good Governance, Leadership and Transparency from February 22 to 26, 2016 in Koronadal City, South Cotabato. The host region is Region XII, and the host schools division is the Division of Koronadal City.
2. This is pursuant to Republic Act (RA) No. 7079, also known as the Campus Journalism Act of 1991, and in compliance to DepEd Order No. 47, s. 2010, entitled Guidelines on Financial Subsidy for the Conduct of the National Schools Press Conference (NSPC), its implementing rules and regulations (IRR) specifically Rule IX of Section 1.
3. The Conference aims to:
a. demonstrate understanding of the importance of journalism by expressing it through different journalistic endeavors and approaches;
b. sustain advocacy on social consciousness and environmental awareness;
c. provide a venue for an enriching learning experience for students interested in Journalism as a career or those who intend to use skill sets learned through campus journalism to give them a better edge in their chosen careers;
d. promote responsible journalism and fair and ethical use of social media; and
e. enhance journalistic competence through healthy and friendly competitions.
4. The Conference activities shall include the following:
a. Individual Contests;
b. Radio Script Writing and Broadcasting Contests;
c. Collaborative Desktop Publishing (CDP) Contest;
d. CDP with Online Application (OA) (exhibition);
e. TV Script Writing and Broadcasting (exhibition);
f. Concurrent Sessions with Workshops; and
g. Awarding of the Winners and Outstanding School Paper Advisers (SPAs) and Campus Journalists (CJs), among others.
5. Recognizing and respecting Intellectual Property Rights, the Department adheres to the rule concerning plagiarism. DepEd reiterates its stand to disqualify campus publications found to have copied and published texts, graphics and other materials without duly acknowledging their sources. The disqualification covers all sections of the campus publications whether they are published in print or online.
6. In order to clarify issues and concerns regarding the conduct of the Schools Press Conferences, concerned officials, officers-in-charge of NSPC, personnel and staff, learner-participants are advised to refer to the implementing guidelines stipulated in DepEd Order No. 47, s. 2010. Below is the list of enclosures on the changes and inclusions made on the guidelines of the individual and group contests:
|3||General Guidelines for the Selection of Winners in the Different Individual Writing Contests|
|3a||Score Sheet for Editorial Writing|
|3b||Score Sheet for News Writing|
|3c||Score Sheet for Feature Writing|
|3d||Score Sheet for Sports Writing|
|3e||Score Sheet for Editorial Cartooning|
|3f||Score Sheet for Photojournalism|
|3g||Score Sheet for Science and Technology Writing|
|4||General Guidelines for the Group Contests (School Paper, E-Document and E-Publication)|
|4a||General Guidelines for the Selection of the Best Sections and Layout and Page Design Category|
|4b||Score Sheet for the Editorial Section|
|4c||Score Sheet for the News Section|
|4d||Score Sheet for the Features Section|
|4e||Score Sheet for the Sports Section|
|4f||Score Sheet for Layout and Page Design Category|
|4g||Score Sheet for the Science and Technology Section|
|4h||Score Sheet for the Best E-Publication|
|4i||Score Sheet for Selecting the Best School Paper|
|5||Guidelines for the Collaborative Publishing Contest|
|5a||Score Sheet for Collaborative Publishing|
|6||Guidelines for Radio Broadcasting and Script Writing Contests (Filipino and English)|
|6a||Score Sheet for Radio Broadcasting and Scriptwriting|
|7||Guidelines for TV Script Writing and Broadcasting Contests (Filipino and English)|
|7a||Score Sheet for TV Script Writing and Broadcasting|
|8||How to Compute for the Overall Scores|
9. The seven outstanding teams from the CDP OA and TV Script Writing events shall be recognized but their scores shall not be included in the computation of the over-all scores of their regions.
10. Guidelines for CDP OA shall be released after the consulted experts have provided their final inputs. The said guidelines shall be released through a DepEd advisory.
11. All schools divisions and regions should strictly follow the No School Paper, No Student Contestant Policy.
12. Schools which have collected journalism or subscription fees from their learners should submit school paper entries and not e-document entries in PDF files.
13. Each region is expected to submit the required documents using the format provided in the following enclosures:
(See Download Section)
14. Any violation of the stipulated guidelines is subject for disqualification.
15. The Official Regional Delegation shall consist of 282 participants. The delegates are expected to be at the venue on February 22 (Monday). The first meal shall be dinner on February 21 and the last meal shall be lunch on February 26, 2016.
16. Regions and schools divisions, which shall request their participants to be fetched from the airport upon arrival, are advised to coordinate with Ms. Zorayda Abubacar, Education Program Specialist-Division of Koronadal City at mobile phone nos. 0921-967-0670 and 0918-738-6939. Likewise, regions and schools divisions, which wish to organize their own educational tour to the cultural sites within Koronadal City are advised to coordinate with Ms. Suzettte Anne Mirasol of the Office of the International Council of Folkloric Festival at the Office of the Mayor of the City of Koronadal through mobile phone no. 0922-396-6212.
17. The learners intending to join the tour shall need to secure a separate Parent’s Permit. No Parent’s Permit. No Educational Tour.
18. Non-contestants, parents and other school officials who are not part of the official regional delegation are required to seek their own accommodation and contact the host region/schools division for assistance. They can contact either Ms. Luz Lalli L. Ferrer, Chief-QAD, In-charge of Journalism (English) at mobile phone no. 0908-873-4046 or through email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, or Ms. Josenette P. Brana, Regional Supervisor In-charge of Journalism (Filipino) at mobile phone no. 0999-999-0609 or through email address: email@example.com.
19. Each participant from public and private schools, included in the official list of delegation, shall pay a registration fee of Four Thousand Pesos (P 4,000.00) charged to school Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses/local/regional funds/Special Education Fund or the School Campus Journalism Fund, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations. The registration fee shall cover the costs of board and lodging, kits, including conference materials, rental of equipment/vehicle, payment for utilities, contingency and other related expenses incurred in the conduct of NSPC. Advance payment in checks shall be addressed to the host region/schools division while on-site registration shall be paid in cash.
20. Check payments may be deposited to Region XII’s account at Veterans Bank, Koronadal City with Account Name: DEPEDRO XII Deduction Account No. 0059-009233-001.
21. The fund transfer in the amount of Two Million Five Hundred Thousand Pesos (P 2,500,000.00) shall be downloaded to the host region to cover the costs of trophies, medals, certificates, supplies and materials, rehabilitation of the billeting quarters, honoraria and transportation of the local judges, board and lodging of NTWG, resource speakers of concurrent sessions and judges (local and national). Statement of Expenditures audited by the local Commission on Audit and noted by the RD shall be submitted to the Chief of Accounting Division, DepEd CO a month after the conduct of the activity.
22. The conduct of the other major activities listed in Enclosure No. 9 and the honoraria of the national judges shall be charged to the OSEC Campus Journalism Funds, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
23. For further information and clarifications, all concerned individuals may contact or visit any of the following:
Attention: Ms. Lea D. Estuye
Bureau of Elementary Education
2nd Floor, Bonifacio Building
DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue Pasig City
Telefax No.: (02) 638-4700
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Ms. Anna Marie Baligod-San Diego
Bureau of Secondary Education 3rd Floor, Bonifacio Building
DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue Pasig City
Telefax Nos.: (02) 632-7586; (02) 636-5172
Email Address: email@example.com
Bro. Armin A. Luistro FSC