June 17, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 98, s. 2016
2016 NO SMOKING MONTH CELEBRATION
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 183, s. 1993, Declaring the Month of June of Every Year as National No Smoking Month, the Department of Education (DepEd), shall observe the 2016 National No Smoking Month.
2. The theme for this year’s celebration, as announced by the Department of Health (DOH), is Graphic Health Warnings: Full Blast Na Sa November! Alamin. Unawain. Bantayan Natin.
3. The Graphic Health Warnings (GHWs) Law requires all tobacco products manufactured or imported for sale in the Philippines to cany GHWs. The implementing rules and regulations of the law specify that all tobacco products shall carry graphic health warnings by November 4, 2016.
4. As per the GHWs Law, it is the DepEd’s mandate to use the GHWs templates to educate children on the ill-effects of tobacco use and to include these in relevant subject areas under the K to 12 Curriculum.
5. All public and private elementary and secondary schools are enjoined to organize educational and social activities particularly on the last Monday of the month, June 27, to disseminate information on the harmful effects of tobacco use, among its students, teaching and nonteaching personnel, and other stakeholders, such as parents and school guests and visitors. The activities shall make use of the GHWs templates. The GHWs templates may be downloaded from the DepEd website via www.deped.gov.ph/others.
6. In addition, schools may also focus their information dissemination activities on the following:
a. Prohibition of smoking among minors;
b. Prohibition of smoking in school and government premises;
c. Prohibition of selling of cigarettes within the 100-meter parameter of schools;
d. Prohibition of selling of cigarettes to minors everywhere; and
e. Prohibition among government offices, including schools, to receive any form of donation from tobacco companies.
7. Several activities to be conducted are as follows:
a. Inclusion of the GHWs templates in relevant subject areas to educate children on the ill-effects of tobacco use;
b. Reiteration among the students of the harmful effects of tobacco use, during the flag ceremony;
c. Reiteration among stakeholders of the absolute smoking ban in school premises;
d. Putting up of No Smoking signs in conspicuous places around the school compound;
e. Displaying of signs bearing You Are Entering A No Smoking Area in entiy points such us gates and side entrances (a sample of this sign may be downloaded from the DepEd website via www.deped.gov.ph/others); and
f. Inclusion of the Civil Service Commission (CSC) Memorandum Circular No. 17, s. 2009, and the CSC-DOH Joint Memorandum Circular 2010-01 among the agenda during personnel meetings.
8. Suggested activities to be conducted are as follows:
a. Printing and posting of the GHWs templates beside No Smoking Signs;
b. Conduct of poster-making and similar activities;
c. Holding of parade within the 100-meter parameter of the school to increase awareness about tobacco control policies, the harmful effects of tobacco use, and the graphic health warning templates;
d. Coordination with other government agencies and nongovernment organizations in the conduct of advocacy activities within the schools and communities; and
e. Participation in the online campaign of CSC titled, GHWs, Nandito Na (details may be found at facebook.com/smokefree.civilservice).
9. However, it is emphasized, that the Engaged Time-on-Task policy of the DepEd should be observed as stipulated in DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005.
10. Regional directors and schools division superintendents are encouraged to support similar activities. The regional/ schools division health and nutrition units/ sections, in coordination with other government organizations and nongovernment organizations, shall take the lead in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of the activities in their respective areas of coverage.
11. It is expected that narrative and pictorial reports concerning the observance of the National No Smoking Month be incorporated in the quarterly report on the Integrated School Health and Nutrition Program, submitted to the Office of the Secretary: Attention: School Health Division, Bureau of Leaner Support Services, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
12. Soft copies of the pictures of the school activities, with proper and complete captions or descriptions, are also encouraged to be sent in advance to [email protected] as soon as possible.
13. Any inquiries or concerns related to these activities may be addressed to Mr. Gian Erik Adao of the DepEd-Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund Project at mobile phone no. 0995-976-5927, telephone nos. (02) 632-9935 or (02) 636-3602, or through e-mail address [email protected] ph.
14. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
[scribd id=316247730 key=key-FJ8Nq36dPIkmJGzUJa92 mode=scroll]