May 24, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 86, s. 2016
2016 PHILIPPINE YOUTH GAMES-BATANG PINOY
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Philippine Sports Commission (PSC), in partnership with the Department of Education (DepEd) will hold its 2016 Philippine Youth Games (PYGs)-Batang Pinoy by cluster on the following dates with respective venues:
|Northern Luzon Qualifying Leg
|June 6-11, 2016
|Southern Luzon Qualifying Leg
|July 25-30, 2016
|Lipa City, Batangas
|Visayas Qualiying Leg
|August 22-27, 2016
|Mindanao Qualifying Leg
|September 26-October 1, 2016
|October 24-29, 2016
2. The PYGs-Batang Pinoy aims to address the country’s need for a comprehensive grassroots program centered on values formation inherent in the practice of sports and play such as patriotism, nationalism, self-discipline, respect for the law and order, hard work, teamwork, camaraderie, sportsmanship, and fair play. Thus, these games may minimize if not eliminate the child’s chances of becoming a juvenile delinquent.
3. The DepEd, through its regional and schools division offices, shall extend its support to the successful conduct of the 2016 PYGs-Batang Pinoy.
4. The guidelines on the participation of public elementary and secondary school learners as athletes, and the involvement of school officials and personnel, teachers, as well as coaches and officiating officials are as follows:
a. Expenses of the learner-athletes and school coaches relative to their participation in the 2016 PYGs-Batang Pinoy activities shall be shouldered by the local government units (LGUs), which they represent. No funds coming from the DepEd shall be used for the said event. There shall be no fund raising activity by field officials, public school administrators or teachers for the same purpose;
b. The LGUs shall coordinate with the schools division physical education and school sports (PESS) supervisors regarding the identification, recruitment, and participation of the learner-athletes, and the designation of coaches. It is desired that they shall be guided by the performance standards set in their last district or division athletic meets on deciding the events in which their athletes can compete;
c. Physical Education and other public school teachers and nonteaching employees selected by the National Sports Associations (NSAs), as confirmed by the PSC and approved by the DepEd, through their respective schools division superintendents or heads of offices, shall serve as officiating officials in the 2016 PYGs-Batang Pinoy and they shall attend on official time only;
d. Make-up classes which shall be held after each cluster and the national championships for all participating learner-athletes shall be arranged accordingly by their respective class advisers and school principals;
e. PSC shall allocate funds for the 2016 PYGs-Batang Pinoy which shall include, but not limited to food, accommodations, honoraria, and transportation expenses of all DepEd technical officials to and from the host city; and
f. Public school premises shall not be used as sports competition venues, billeting areas, and other related purposes; unless otherwise approved by DepEd through the Office of the Undersecretary for Governance and Operations.
5. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC