July 31, 2017
DepEd Memorandum No. 132, s. 2017
2017 International Humanitarian Law Month
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. In compliance with Executive Order No. 134, s. 1999, declaring the 12th day of August of every year as International Humanitarian Law Day (copy enclosed), the Department of Education (DepEd) joins the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and other government agencies in celebrating the 18th Anniversary of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Day and the 2nd International Humanitarian Law Month. The theme for this year’s Celebration is IHL: Mga Aral ng Nakaraan, Hamon sa Kasalukuyan (IHL: Lessons from the Past, Challenges of the Present).
2. This Commemoration aims to raise the people’s consciousness and promote greater awareness of the principles of IHL.
3. In this regard, the regional and schools division offices, including schools are encouraged to support the said observance and undertake related activities such as the following:
a. Hoisting streamers depicting this year’s theme and logo;
b. Integrating the celebration in the different subject areas;
c. Discussing current issues involving children on how to protect themselves during armed conflict, in appropriate subject areas; and
d. Organizing child-friendly activities such as art contest, poster-and slogan-making, children’s fair and/or photo exhibit of child-friendly IHL materials.
4. Expenses incurred relative to the conduct of activities for the said celebration shall be charged to local funds, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
5. For more information, all concerned may contact the members of the Technical Working Committee, Atty. Andrea G. Silva, and Atty. Clifford C. Chan, Legal Service, Department of Education (DepEd), DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone nos.: (02) 631-5773 and (02) 533-7247.
6. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES