The Department of Education (DepEd) releases the JOINT IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES ON THE 2020 BRIGADA ESKWELA AND OPLAN BALIK ESKWELA RELATIVE TO THE COVID-19 SITUATION dated May 28, 2020 amending thereby Deped Memorandum No. 032. S. 2020 titled 2020 Brigada Eskwela Program Implementing Guidelines, and Deped Memorandum No. 014. S. 2020 titled 2020 Oplan Balik Eskwela. For your information and guidance.
May 28, 2020
DepEd Memorandum No. 53, s. 2020
Table of Contents
JOINT IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES ON THE 2020 BRIGADA ESKWELA AND OPLAN BALIK ESKWELA RELATIVE TO THE COVID-19 SITUATION
Minister. Basic. Higher, and Technical Education. BARMM
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
- Relative to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak, the Office of the President has issued Presidential Proclamation No. 922. s. 2020 declaring a state of public health emergency throughout the Philippines. In response to the public health emergency, and guided by the issuances on the management of COVID-19 by the Office of the President, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases in the Philippines (IATF-EID). and the Department of Health (DOH). the Department of Education (DepEd) developed a Basic Education Learning Continuity Plan (BE-LCP) for the guidance of all DepEd units. Titled Learning Opportunities Shall be Available: The Basic Education Learning Continuity Plan in the Time of COVID-19. the BE-LCP lays down the direction for basic education in the coming school year, and shall be operationalized on a rolling basis through implementing issuances, programs, and activities at all governance levels of DepEd.
- As articulated in the BE-LCP. Brigada Eskwela (BE) and Oplan Balik Eskwela (OBE), the annual activities of DepEd to prepare for the school opening shall be reconfigured to fully assist the preparation of stakeholders for the coming school year. Brigada Eskwela and Oplan Balik Eskwela will be undertaken from June 1, 2020 to August 29, 2020.
- Pursuant to this and in consideration of the relevant regulations for the management of COVID-19. DepEd issues this Joint Implementing Guidelines on the 2020 Brigada Eskwela and Oplan Balik E^skwela Relative to the COVID-19 Situation (copy enclosed) which amends relevant provisions of DepEd Memorandum (DM) No. 032. s. 2020 titled 2020 Brigada Eskwela Program Implementing Guidelines, and DM No. 014. s. 2020 titled 2020 Oplan Balik Eskwela.
- The approved theme for the 2020 Brigada Eskwela as provided under DM No. 032. s. 2020, Pagpapanatili ng Bayanihan Tungo sa Kalidad na Edukasyon para sa Kabataan shall now be the theme for the joint implementation of the 2020 Brigada Eskwela and Oplan Balik Eskwela. The slogan for this year’s conduct of BE and OBE shall be. Bayanihan sa Paaralan. With the aim of promoting sustainable and safe living, the slogan highlights the application of knowledge and convergence of efforts to address the required health standards and social issues at home, in school, and in the community in the context of COVID-19.
- The required health standards involve following social distancing measures and practicing proper hygiene consistent with the IATF health protocols. DOH health standards, local and national quarantine rules, and all other relevant protocols as detailed in Dep Ed and DepEd Task Force COVID-19 issuances. To date, the latest applicable national guidelines are contained in DOH Administrative Order No. 2020-0015 dated April 27, 2020. providing for the Risk-Based Public Health Standards for COVID-19 Mitigation, and the Amended Omnibus Guidelines on the Implementation of Community Quarantine in the Philippines, as approved by the IATF at its 39th Meeting held on May 22. 2020. Copies of the Guidelines are attached as Annex A and B. respectively.
- The implementation of BE and OBE includes the engagement of stakeholders and addressing problems, queries, and other concerns in preparation for the start of classes. The specific amendments and implementation adjustments and plan of action of Brigada Eskwela and Oplan Balik Eskwela are provided in Enclosure No. 1 in Items A and B. respectively.
- The traditional concept of Brigada Eskwela. which involves physical cleaning, painting, repainting, and doing minor repairs will no longer happen in May. Unless otherwise provided by another DepEd issuance, it may still be done during the two weeks before the opening of classes in public schools on August 24. 2020. depending on the prevailing local risk classification and community quarantine guidelines. If allowed, schools shall strictly comply with protocols on social distancing and implement precautionary measures consistent with the IATF health protocols, DOH protection protocols, local quarantine rules and all other relevant protocols provided in DepEd and DepEd Task Force COVID-19 issuances.
- The new concept of Brigada Eskwela shall focus on preparations and strengthening partnership engagement to ensure that learning continues even in the time of COVID-19. The activities shall highlight partnership initiatives that complement the Department’s efforts to ensure that quality basic education will continue despite the challenges posed by COVID-19. and to implement the BE-LCP. Details of the mandated partnership activities and stakeholders engagement are provided in Enclosure No. 2.
- Under Oplan Balik Eskwela, DepEd shall set up the Public Assistance Command Center (PACC) at the Central Office, with its counterparts at the regional and schools division offices through its Public Affairs Unit (PAU). Oplan Balik Eskwela shall continue to address frequently asked questions by parents and learners in relation to enrollment, attendance, and other relevant DepEd policies, rules, and regulations on class opening.
- In partnership with Brigada Eskwela, Oplan Balik Eskwela shall focus on an information campaign on the implementation of the LCP. The National Brigada Eskwela and Oplan Balik Eskwela Media/Online Kick-Off Program, which shall be hosted by DepEd Region VI, shall be held on June 1, 2020. The details of the Kick-Off Program shall be the subject of a separate DepEd issuance.
- All other provisions stated in DM No. 032, s. 2020 and DM No. 014, s. 2020 shall remain in full force and effect, unless otherwise amended or rescinded.
- For more information, please contact the following:
External Partnerships Sendee
Ground Floor. Mabini Bldg.
Department of Education Central Office
DepEd Complex. Meralco Avenue. Pasig City
Telephone Nos.: (02) 8638-8637, (02) 8638-8639
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oplan Balik Eskwela
Office of the Secretary-Public Affairs Service
Department of Education Central Office
DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City
Telephone Nos.: (02) 8636-1663, (02) 8633-1942
Email Address: email@example.com
13. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
(Enclosure No. 1 to DepEd Memorandum No. 053 , s. 2020)
JOINT IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES ON THE 2020 BRIGADA ESKWELA AND OPLAN BALIK ESKWELA RELATIVE TO COVID-19 SITUATION
A. Specific Amendments to DepEd Memorandum No. 032, s. 2020 (2020 Brigada Eskwela Program Implementing Guidelines)
1. The schedule of the 2020 Brigada Eskwela Week on May 18-23. 2020 as stipulated in DM No. 032, s. 2020. is postponed. DepEd through the External Partnerships Service (EPS) shall now be implementing a longer national schools’ preparation through Brigada Eskwela from June 1 to August 29, 2020. However, under the Brigada Eskwela Plus, the partnership initiatives shall be implemented throughout the school year. This will ensure readiness not only of the school facilities but also the learners, teaching and non-teaching personnel, school administrators, and the community. Social distancing measures and regulated gathering of people/volunteers in schools shall be strictly implemented.
2. The national schools’ maintenance week, which includes cleaning, minor repairs, repainting, beautification, landscaping, electrical works and installations, and other activities may still be done during the two weeks before the opening of classes in public schools on August 24. 2020 but only in areas allowed by the local risk classification and applicable quarantine guidelines by that time. If allowed, schools shall strictly comply with protocols on social distancing and implement precautionary measures consistent with the IATF health protocols. DOH protection protocols, local quarantine rules, and all other relevant protocols outlined in DepEd and DepEd Task Force COVID-19 issuances.
3. Item No. 3 of DM No. 032. s. 2020 shall be amended to read as:
“The National Brigada Eskwela Media/Online Kick-off Program shall be held online on June 1, 2020 via MS Teams and/or other media platforms. DepEd Region VI shall host the national kick-off which shall be participated virtually by all regions and selected stakeholders. ROs and SDOs may hold their own virtual kick-off ceremonies during the Brigada Eskwela Kick-Off Week from June 1 to 6. 2020 to launch the Brigada Eskwela in their respective areas after the national kick-off program. If ROs and SDOs opt to hold their virtual kick-off. it shall be conducted as an online Brigada Eskwela Forum which may involve the following activities:
a. Orientation on the COVID-19 situation and scenarios;
b. Discussion of the Learning Continuity Plan (LCP);
d. One major Brigada Eskwela activity to be adopted by RO/SDO;
e. Conduct of Psychological First Aid (PFA) and PFA training;
f. Discussion on the basic roles and responsibilities of different sectors, including parents; and
g. Debriefing of learners, among others.”
4. All Regional Directors (RDs) and Schools Division Superintendents (SDSs) shall mobilize their Partnerships Focal Persons to effectively implement Brigada Eskwela in all public elementary and secondary schools. Partnership engagement activities, if face-to-face is allowed, shall strictly comply with protocols on social distancing, and implement precautionary measures consistent with the IATF health protocols. DOH protection protocols, local quarantine rules, and all other relevant protocols outlined in DepEd and DepEd Task Force COVID-19 issuances.
5. The schedule of activities for the 2020 Brigada Eskwela under Item No. 11 of DM No. 032. s. 2020 shall be modified as follows:
|National Brigada Eskwela Media/ Online Kick-off Program||June 1, 2020|
|Regional/Division Kick-off Program (Optional)||During BE Kick-off Week from June 1-6. 2020|
|Brigada Eskwela Implementation and Monitoring of Schools||June 1-August 29. 2020|
|Submission of Brigada Eskwela Accomplishment Reports||By Schools Divisions: September 24, 2020|
By Regions: October 30, 2020
6. In addition to DM No. 032. s. 2020. the School Heads shall take the lead in planning the activities geared on making schools virus-free, ecologically conscious, resilient, clean, safe, and conducive to learning. School Heads are encouraged to take into account the engagement of partners the way as stipulated in the 4th pillar of Sulong EduKALIDAD of DepEd in their school’s Learning Continuity Plan.
7. The schools are encouraged to document all their efforts to implement the new way of conducting Brigada Eskwela. The usual reporting format shall be adopted with highlights on the effort in line with the COVID-19 recovery initiatives.
8. The External Partnerships Sendee (EPS) at the central office shall lead in the conduct of an appreciation program for all the partners in this endeavor. The schools and SDOs are highly encouraged to conduct their own recognition program for partners, and award a certificate of recognition in appreciation of their contribution and initiative to ensure the continuation of learning.
B. Specific Amendments to DepEd Memorandum No. 014, s. 2020 (2020 Oplan Balik Eskwela)
The conduct of the 2020 Oplan Balik Eskwela scheduled to start on May 25 as stipulated in DM No. 014. s. 2020 was postponed due to COVID-19. The DepEd through the Public Affairs Service (PAS) shall formally implement the activity starting June 1 to August 29, 2020.
1. Oplan Balik Eskwela is part of the Department’s effort to ensure that learners are properly informed of the learning opportunities amidst COVID-19 as part of BE-LCP. It aims to address enrollment-related problems, queries, and other concerns commonly encountered by the public. Oplan Balik Eskwela shall strengthen its synergy with the Department’s Brigada Eskwela for this school year to engage agencies, organizations, and other stakeholders in contributing to educational needs, especially at this critical time.
2. The Oplan Balik Eskwela-Inter-Agency Task Force (OBE-IATF) shall again be activated, with the following membership:
a. Department of Health (DOH)
b. Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)
c. Department of Transportation (DOTr)
d. Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)
e. National Telecommunications Commission (NTC)
f. Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT)
g. Philippine Atmospheric. Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA)
h. Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA)
i. Department of Energy (DOE)
j. Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
k. Manila Electric Company (MERALCO)
l. Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS)
m. Philippine National Police (PNP)
n. Department of National Defense (DND)
o. National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC)
p. Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO)
3. The member agencies will perform a critical role by providing guidelines on health and safety, peace and order, and transportation in the context of COVID-19 to ensure the safe conduct of any allowed face-to-face pre-opening and opening school activities.
4. The DepEd Central Office shall set up an OBE-Public Assistance Command Center (PACC) to be led by the PAS at the national level. This will also be established at the Regional and Division levels to expedite and facilitate the resolution of issues and concerns. The simultaneous conduct of Oplan Balik Eskwela ensures that issues and concerns are immediately addressed in their respective areas.
5. Other functions of the Command Center are the following:
a. Receive, process, and respond to simple queries, information requests, and grievances from the general public. Complex issues and complaints shall be referred to Legal Officers.
b. Assist in the dissemination and clarification of DepEd policies, programs, projects, and processes, particularly those relevant to enrollment issues:
c. Monitor, document, and submit daily reports on all issues and concerns received daily including the action taken to the OBE-PACC Central Office at 3:00 p.m.
6. The composition of OBE committees in the region and schools division offices are the following:
7. The composition and contact information of the Regional and Division OBE committee members (e.g. names, designation and contact details such as landline, mobile, email, social media account) shall be submitted immediately to the Central Office through the PAS-Public Assistance Action Center (PAAC).
8. The central, regional, and division office shall use any available online means of communications that are accessible to the public: hotlines, emails, Short Messaging System (SMS), and social media accounts (Facebook. Twitter. Instagram. Viber).
(Enclosure No. 2 to DepEd Memorandum No. 053 s, 2020)
2020 BRIGADA ESKWELA MANDATED PARTNERSHIP ACTIVITIES AND STAKEHOLDERS ENGAGEMENT UNDER THE NEW NORMAL FOR SCHOOLS
1. Brigada Eskwela champions the spirit of volunteerism in DepEd. It is not only the program of DepEd but also that of education stakeholders.
2. In light of the current COVID-19 situation, this year’s Brigada Eskwela shall ensure that support for the provision of learning opportunities while ensuring that the health, safety, and well-being of learners, teachers, and personnel are protected. Brigada Eskwela shall play an important mechanism to enable schools to catch up with the expectations for multiple learning delivery modalities.
3. Aside from the usual activities conducted in the past Brigada Eskwela. School Heads must ensure the following among other related initiatives:
a. Coordinate with the Local Government Units or other non-government organizations and volunteers to clean and disinfect school buildings, classrooms, and other school facilities.
b. School Heads shall engage partners to raise the availability of the following items in school during Brigada Eskwela:
i. Thermal scanners:
ii. Hand sanitizing materials, such as rubbing alcohol, antibacterial, or germicidal soap:
iii. Cleaning tools, materials or disinfectants that may be used to disinfect the learning areas, such as spray tank, disinfectant spray or disinfecting bleach, foot bath:
iv. Washable face mask, surgical face mask, face shield, and surgical gloves:
v. Multivitamins capsules, tablets, or syrups for DepEd personnel and learners:
vi. Printing of COVID-19 and sanitation/proper hand washing hygiene information materials: and
vii. Printing of materials and provision of supplies for distance learning for the learners, teachers, and parents (i.e. bond papers, worksheets, notebooks, pad paper, ball pens, pencils, crayons, coloring materials, and others).
c. The School Heads shall ensure that psychological first aid or other psychological interventions and debriefing are conducted in partnership with stakeholders during the implementation of Brigada Eskwela.
d. Orientation activities with teachers, partners, PTA, and learners on DepEd’s Learning Continuity Plan, with special focus on the implementation of DepEd’s multiple learning delivery modalities. The use of computer-mediated communication strategy in conducting the above-cited activities is highly encouraged.
i. Encourage parents through the Parents-Teachers Associations (PTA) on possible collaborations with the schools to provide support for the continuation of learning opportunities.
ii. Engage parents in the promotion of the new school system. The new role and increased involvement of the parents in the learning of their children are essential to augment available resources and technology in the community.
iii Engage partners in the promotion and provision of distance learning delivery modalities such as local radio/TV stations and other available media as a form of Brigada Eskwela and partnership initiative to deliver the curriculum. The School Heads may identify resources and partnerships necessary for High Tech, Low Tech or No Tech aide for learning.
e. Coordinate with the concerned DepEd units on the possible implementation of Gulayan sa Tahanan or Urban Vegetable Gardening at Home as part of Brigada Eskwela and School-Family-Community partnerships to promote sustainable food supply at homes, as well as on communicating to stakeholders on how they can support the school emergency and contingency to ensure resiliency.
f. Collaborate with various stakeholders to support the implementation of the Learning Continuity Plan.
g. Strengthen Brigada Pagbasa in their Learning Continuity Plan.
h. Partnership appreciation and other school-based initiatives.