Attached is a copy of DepEd Memorandum No. 177, s. 2019 dated November 23, 2019, from DepEd Undersecretary Annalyn M. Sevilla, Officer-in-Charge, DepEd-Central Office entitled “29th National Arts Month”, the contents of which are self-explanatory, for information and strict compliance.
November 23, 2019
DepEd Memorandum No. 177, s. 2019
Table of Contents
29TH National Arts Month Celebration
Bureau and Service Directors
Minister, Basic, Higher, and Technical Education, BARMM
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) will lead the celebration of the 29th National Arts Month with the theme, Ani ng Sining: Philippine Arts Festival, in February 2020. The celebration is pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 683 dated January 28, 1991 titled Declaring the Month of February of Every Year as National Arts Month.
2. The celebration aims to
a. showcase excellent artistic expressions and works of local communities,
b. promote unique identity and values of the community,
c. rally local government support for arts community and cultural programs,
d. provide opportunities that harness and strengthen local artists, and
e. document excellent artistic works and expressions of local communities.
3. This year’s theme underscores art as a right and responsibility, its integral role in community life, and contribution to the strengthening of national pride. It also highlights the fruits of creative efforts for the past year and looks forward to a richer, more fertile ground in the coming years for the evolution of artistic modes of expression available to the Filipino creative imagination.
4. Activities may be undertaken by an agency or institution in accordance with its own capabilities. The following are the suggested activities:
a. Participation in National Arts Month activities nationwide (calendar of events will be posted at the NCCA website: www.ncca.gov.ph and other social media accounts in November 2019),
b. Display of National Arts Month promotional materials in agency premises and regional/field offices (materials will be posted at the NCCA website), and
c. Organization of creative activities (e.g. music, dance, theater, performances, film screenings, or visual arts exhibits, museum visits or cultural sites) related to this year’s theme.
5. The calendar of events, promotional materials, list of National Artists, Ani ng Dangal awardees, and Sagisag Kultura ng Filipinas are available for download at www.ncca.gov.ph.
6. It is encouraged that the venue of the organized creative activities would be in a public space or would have both external and internal stakeholders as participants.
7. Agencies/offices in the Greater Manila Area are requested to send 20 delegates to the Opening Ceremony to be held at the Rizal Park, Luneta, Manila from February 3 to 4, 2020 from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
8. Agencies/institutions can submit their calendar of events and documentation to the NCCA for integration in the National Arts Month Calendar of Events. The NCCA can also assist in the promotion of the local National Arts Month celebration, through social media visibility, print media through the Manila Times’ Arts Awake page and Agung, the official newsletter of the NCCA. Deadline of submission of all project details is on the fourth week of January.
9. For more information, contact Ms. Krystal Morfe, National Commission for Culture and the Arts, No. 633 General Luna Street, Intramuros, Manila through email at email@example.com or at telefax no. (02) 8527-2192 local 302.
10. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
ANNALYN M. SEVILLA