As mandated by the CSC No. 19, s. 2012 in pursuant to Section 10 of Republic Act No. 8491, otherwise known as the Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines requires all government offices and educational institutions to observe the flag-raising and flag-lowering ceremonies. The same law reiterates the proper way of conducting these ceremonies and other guidelines related to the use of our national symbols.
Despite the existence of this law for almost 20 years, many government agencies, private agencies, and most importantly educational institutions and ordinary Filipinos are unaware that they are not complying with what the law requires. Many of these non-compliance happen especially in the conduct of Flag Ceremonies. This could be due to misinformation, wrong instruction, or simple ignorance of the law.
The Department of Education (DepEd) has also issued several orders and memoranda related to the conduct of flag ceremonies, proper use and handling of the flag, and the singing of the national anthem.
To ensure that school heads, teachers, and students/pupils regularly accord respect to the Philippine flag and be reminded of how they must conduct themselves during flag ceremonies, TeacherPH reiterates the following DepEd Order on the Observance/Conduct of Flag Raising and Lowering Ceremonies.
DepEd Order No. 50, s. 2012
Table of Contents
OBSERVANCE/CONDUCT OF FLAG RAISING AND LOWERING CEREMONIES AND PROPER SEQUENCE IN OFFICIAL DEPED PROGRAMS INVOLVING THE SINGING OF THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Section 18 of Republic Act (RA) No. 8491, otherwise known as the Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines, all government offices and educational institutions are required to participate in the Observance/Conduct of Flag Raising Ceremonies every Monday morning and Flag Lowering Ceremonies every Friday afternoon.
2. While there is no law categorically stating the order of a public ceremony, specifically, whether the singing of the Philippine National Anthem should come before or after the invocation, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) Protocol on the Observance of Commemorative Events provides that the singing of the Philippine National Anthem should come before the invocation in officral government functions. However, this may be distinguished from programs or gatherings that are religious in nature or are sponsored by or conducted in private schools or in “faithbased” institutions.
3. In view of this, the following guidelines are hereby issued in the Observance/Conduct of Flag Raising and Lowering Ceremonies and Proper Sequence in Official DepEd Programs Involving the Singing of the Philippine National Anthem:
SEQUENCE OF FLAG RAISING CEREMONY IN THE PHILIPPINES
a. Flag Raising Ceremonies
1. All officials and employees from the central, regional, schools division offices and public schools nationwide, including all public school learners who have morning classes, are required to join the conduct of Flag Raising Ceremonies with the following sequence:
i. Singing of Lupang Hinirang;
ii. Interfaith Prayers;
iii. Recitation of Panunumpa ng Katapatan sa Watawat ng Pilipinas; and
iv. Recitation of Panunumpa ng Lingkod Bayan by all Department officials and employees only.
2. In the conduct of Flag Raising Ceremonies in private schools or “faith-based” learning institutions, however, the foregoing sequence with respect to the singing of the Philippine National Anthem and Invocation need not be observed. Thus, the invocation is optional or may be done prior to the singing of the Philippine National Anthem. In either case, the recitation of the Panunumpa ng Katapatan sa Watawat ng Pilipinas should follow.
3. The flag shall be raised in strict compliance with Section 21 of RA 8491 which provides:
Section 21. During the flag raising ceremony, the assembly shall stand in formation facing the flag. At the moment the first note of the anthem is heard, everyone in the premises shall come to attention; moving vehicles shall stop. All persons present shall place their right palms over their chests, those with hats shall uncover, while those in military, scouting, security guard, and citizens military training uniforms shall give salute prescribed by their regulations, which salute shall be completed upon the last note of the anthem.
The assembly shall sing the Philippine National Anthem, accompanied by a band, if available, and at the first note, the flag shall be raised briskly.
The same procedure shall be observed when the flag is passing in review or in parade.
b. Official Programs Involving the Singing of the Philippine National Anthem
1. In case of official DepEd programs conducted in the central, regional, schools division offices and public schools nationwide involving the singing of the Philippine National Anthem, the singing of the Lupang Hinirang should be done before the Invocation at the start of the program proper. The Panunumpa ng Katapatan sa Watawat ng Pilipinas and the Panunumpa ng Lingkod Bay an need not be recited.
2. In programs held in private schools, “faith-based” learning instutions, and other gatherings religious in nature, however, the invocation is optional or may be done prior to the singing of the Philippine National Anthem at the start of the program proper.
c. Flag Lowering Ceremonies
Consistent with Section 18 of RA 8491, all central, regional, schools division offices and public and private schools nationwide shall henceforth observe the Flag Lowering Ceremonies every Friday afternoon. The Ceremony shall be simple and dignified and shall include the playing or singing of the Philippine National Anthem. The flag shall be lowered in strict compliance with Section 22 of the same law which provides:
Section 22. During the flag lowering, the flag shall be lowered solemnly and slowly so that the flag shall be down the mast at the sound of the last note of the anthem. Those in the assembly shall observe the same deportment or shall observe the same behavior as for the flag-raising ceremony.
4. A copy of the Panunumpa ng Katapatan sa Watawat ng Pilipinas is contained in Enclosure No. 1, and of the Panunumpa ng Lingkod Bayan in Enclosure No. 2 for reference and guidance in the recitation thereof.
5. This DepEd Order (DO) shall take effect immediately. All provisions in DOs and other related issuances, which are inconsistent with these guidelines are hereby repealed, rescinded, or modified accordingly.
6. All regional directors, schools division superintendents, heads of public and private elementary and secondary schools are enjoined to extend full administrative support to ensure the appropriate observance/conduct of Flag Ceremonies in their respective areas.
7. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO, FSC
PANUNUMPA NG KATAPATAN SA WATAWAT NG PILIPINAS AKO AY PILIPINO
BUONG KATAPATANG NANUNUMPA
SA WATAWAT NG PILIPINAS
AT SA BANSANG KANYANG SINASAGISAG
NA MAY DANGAL, KATARUNGAN AT KALAYAAN
NA PINAKIKILOS NG SAMBAYANANG
MAKA-DIYOS, MAKA-TAO MAKAKALIKASAN, AT MAKABANSA
PANUNUMPA NG LINGKOD BAYAN
AKOY ISANG LINGKOD BAYAN
KATUNGKULAN KO ANG MAGLINGKOD / NANG BUONG KATAPATAN AT KAHUSAYAN / AT MAKATULONG SA KATATAGAN AT KAUNLARAN NG AKING BAYAN.
SISIKAPIN KONG PATULOY NA MARAGDAGAN / ANG AKING KAALAMAN.
MAGIGING BAHAGI AKO / NG KAAYUSAN AT KAPAYAPAAN SA PAMAHALAAN / SUSUNOD AT TUTULONG AKO / SA PAGPAPATUPAD NG MGA UMIIRAL NA BATAS AT ALITUNTUNIN / NANG WALANG KINIKILINGAN.
ISASAALANG-ALANG KO ANG INTERES NG NAKARARAMI / BAGO ANG PANSARILI KONG KAPAKANAN.
ISUSULONG KO ANG MGA PROGRAMANG MAG-AANGAT / SA ANTAS NG KABUHAYAN NG MAMAMAYAN. / AKTIBO AKONG MAKIKIBAHAGI / SA MGA DAKILANG LAYUNIN SA LIPUNAN.
HINDI AKO MAGIGING BAHAGI / AT ISISIWALAT KO ANG ANUMANG KATIWALIAN / NA MAKAKAABOT SA AKING KAALAMAN.
GAGAWIN KONG KAPAKI-PAKINABANG ANG BAWAT SANDALI. / SA LAHAT NG PANAHON, / SISIKAPIN KONG MAKATUGON / SA MGA HAMON SA LINGKOD BAYAN.
ANG LAHAT NG ITO / PARA SA ATING DAKILANG LUMIKHA / AT SA ATING BAYAN.
KASIHAN NAWA AKO NG MAYKAPAL.
Download DepEd Order No. 50, s. 2015
DepEd Order No. 50, s. 2015
DepEd-SDO of Bataan
DepEd-SDO of Iloilo