The Department of Education (DepEd) Philippines announced the School Calendar for School Year 2019-2020. The opening day of all public schools nationwide will be on June 3, 2019.
The School Year (SY) 2019-2020 shall formally open on Monday, June 3, 2019 and shall end on (To be announced). It shall consist of (To be announced) school days inclusive of the five-day In-Service Training and the three days for the Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC) conducted within the school year. However, learners are expected to be in school for a total of (To be announced) class days as shown in Enclosure No. 2.
Private schools may deviate from this School Calendar. However, they may not start classes earlier than the first Monday of June and not later than the last day of August, as provided in Republic Act (RA) No. 7797, entitled An Act to Lengthen the School Calendar from Two Hundred (200) Days to Not More than Two Hundred Twenty (220) Class Days. Said schools should notify in advance their respective regional offices (ROs) regarding any deviation from the school calendar.
The Implementing Guidelines on the SY 2019-2020 Calendar of Activities are provided in Enclosure No. 1 to enable the schools to effectively and efficiently implement the school events and activities. Likewise, the guidelines shall allow the ROs and the schools division offices to provide support to schools, particularly in the areas of instruction, and progress monitoring and evaluation.
Schools may observe national and local celebrations/activities and holidays other than those indicated in Enclosure Nos. 2 and 3, provided that the activities are beneficial to the teaching-learning process, and that the total number of class days shall not be compromised.
Make-up classes are recommended in lieu of class cancellations due to celebrations and holidays, as well as natural and man-made calamities. Mechanism for the conduct of make-up classes must be agreed upon by school heads and the Parent-Teacher Associations. In this regard, the ROs may issue a regional school calendar to announce and reflect their concerned events.
IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES ON THE DEPED SCHOOL CALENDAR FOR SCHOOL YEAR (SY) 2019-2020
1) The school year (SY) shall formally open on Monday, June 3, 2019 and shall end on (To be announced). It shall consist of (To be announced) school days inclusive of the five-day In-Service Training and three days of Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC).
2) Learners are expected to be in school for a total of (To be announced) class days for this SY. To ensure quality in the school operation and actual teaching learning, the (To be announced) contact time for teachers and learners is non-negotiable. The physical presence of school heads in schools shall also be enforced.
3) Local activities and observances that involve student participation, such as competitions, festivities, press conferences, culminating activities, and field demonstrations must be regulated so as not to cause disruption of classes and to ensure that the required contact time or number of teaching-learning days is met. Regions, Divisions and Schools are encouraged to plan and implement these activities once in a school year or after each quarter. There shall be no co-curricular and extra-curricular activities two weeks before the quarterly examinations.
4) A general assembly shall be conducted by all schools to orient stakeholders on the curriculum, co-curricular programs and ancillary services to support learner development and the continuous improvement of school outcomes. The assembly shall be done at least a week before the school opening to ensure that the conduct of classes is done on the formal opening of classes on June 3.
5) Parent-teacher conferences shall be done to apprise the parents on the performance of their children and ensure their involvement in school activities. These conferences shall be conducted back-to-back with the General Assembly and every second Saturday after the Quarterly Examinations except on the last conference in April 2020.
6) All elementary schools shall administer the Philippine Early Childhood Development (ECD) Checklist for Kindergarten Children during the opening of classes, midyear, and end of school year. The result will be used as basis for planning and formulating appropriate interventions for children.
7) Deworming of children in school shall be conducted within the months of July 2019 and January 2020.
9) At the end of the Second Quarter, a semestral break for learners shall be observed to evaluate individual teachers and their collective performance, to conduct the In-Service Training (INSET) activities, and to prepare their Instructional Materials (IMs) for their continuing professional development.
10) The Christmas break shall begin on (to be announced). Classes shall resume on (to be announced).
11) To assure quality of learning, formative assessments shall be regularly conducted by the teachers. On the national level, the Bureau of Education Assessment (BEA) shall administer the National Career Assessment Examination (NCAE) to assess the aptitude and interest of students and provide them with relevant information on their skills, abilities, and readiness for academic and non-academic courses, the Early Language Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (ELLNA) to measure the literacy skills of the learners in their respective Mother Tongues, Filipino and English and the National Achievement Test (NAT) to measure what learners in Grade 6 and Grade 10 know and can do in five learning areas.
The summer/remedial classes shall begin on (To be announced) and end on (To be announced).
12) Learner deliberation may be conducted two weeks before the graduation or moving up ceremonies for the following:
a. Learners who will receive recognition and awards; and
b. Learners who are candidates for graduation. They shall accomplish their clearance on the week prior to date of graduation.
13) In preparation for the opening of classes for SY 2020-2021, the schools shall conduct the following activities:
a. Early Registration of learners, beginning on (To be announced) in the schools where they wish to study;
b. Brigada Eskwela from (To be announced) to enable the community and the school to prepare their facilities before the start of another school year;
c. Oplan Balik Eskwela from (To be announced) to facilitate the enrolment of learners; and
d. In-Service Training (INSET) activities for teachers from (To be announced), a week before the opening of classes.
14) In Enclosure No. 2, a calendar is presented with specific markings:
a. Declared holidays and weekdays with no classes are crossed out (X).
b. Days with school activities for teachers, personnel and other stakeholders (e.g. PTC, general assemblies, PEPT for out-of-school learners) are boxed (□).
c. Days with student activities or activities that involve student participation (e.g. NFOT, NSPC, deworming of school children) are encircled (O). These activities are conducted on class days and may or may not disrupt classes. If the date for a student activity in a specific month is still tentative, the last school day may be temporarily marked as alternate day for said activity.
d. School activities conducted for several weeks (i.e. Early Registration) are no longer reflected in the actual calendar.
DEPED SCHOOL CALENDAR FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2019–2020
|May 27 to June 7, 2019||Oplan Balik Eskwela|
|May 20-25, 2019||Brigada Eskwela|
|1st General Assembly and Parent-Teacher Conference|
|Beginning of classes|
|Independence Day (regular holiday)|
|Eid’l Fitr (regular holiday)|
|Early Language Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (ELLNA)|
|Special Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT for Independence Day)|
|Deworming of School Children|
|First Quarter Examinations|
|Distribution of Report Cards and 2nd Parent-Teacher Conference|
|21||Ninoy Aquino Day (special nonworking holiday)|
|Eid’l Adha (regular holiday)|
|27||National Heroes Day (regular holiday)|
|National Career Assessment Examination for Grade 9|
|5||World Teachers’ Day|
|Second Quarter Examinations|
|Start of Sembreak|
|In-Service Training for Teachers|
|Distribution of Report Cards and 3rd Parent-Teacher Conference|
|Resumption of Classes|
|Accreditation and Equivalency Test (A&E)|
|1||All Saints Day (special non-working holiday)|
|2||All Souls Day (special non-working holiday)|
|Administration of PEPT (regular)|
|Basic Education Exit Assessment for Grade 12|
|30||Bonifacio Day (regular holiday)|
|Start of Christmas Break|
|30||Rizal Day (regular holiday)|
|Entire Month||Deworming of school children|
|Resumption of classes|
|Third Quarter Examinations|
|Distribution of Cards (Parent-Teacher) Conference|
|Early Registration for Kindergarten to Grade 12|
|National School Press Conference (NSPC)|
|National Festival of Talents (NFOT)|
|25||Chinese Lunar New Year’s Day (Special non-working holiday)|
|Supreme-Pupil Government/Supreme-Student Government Election (First to Second Week)|
|Fourth Quarter Examinations for Grades 6 and 12|
|Fourth Quarter for Grades 1-5 & 7-11|
|National Achievement Test (NAT) for Grade 6 and 10|
|End of School Year Rites|
|Last Day of Classes for SY 2019-2020|
|9||Araw ng Kagitingan (regular holiday)|
|Distribution of Report Cards and 5th Parent-Teacher Conference|
|Start of Summer Classes|
|Maundy Thursday and Good Friday|
|1||Labor Day (regular holiday)|
|Tentative||Oplan Balik Eskwela|
|End of Summer Classes|
|TOTAL NUMBER OF SCHOOL DAYS|
|TOTAL NUMBER OF CLASS DAYS|