The Implementing Guidelines on the Establishment of School Governance Council or DepEd Order 26, s. 2022 mandates all public schools to establish their respective SGCs to strengthen the role of school stakeholders as partners in providing learners accessible and quality education, upholding children’s rights, and promoting respect and well-being in the learning environment to ensure effective education service delivery.
The SGC shall function as a structure for shared governance and a feedback mechanism at the school level. It shall serve as an overarching consultative and coordinating body for all committees, associations, and organizations in schools.
To support the implementation of the policy, the Bureau of Human Resource and Organizational Development – School Effectiveness Division (BHROD-SED) has developed a tool that will assess SGC’s functionality using the indicators provided in the mentioned policy. The data gathered shall be used as baseline information in identifying the priority of areas that may need support and assistance from the different governance levels.
The SGC Functionality Assessment Tool consists of the following components:
SGC’s Main Purposes:
- To provide structure for shared governance
- To provide a feedback mechanism
SGC Functionality Indicators:
Functionality indicators are anchored on the main purpose of the SGC and can be found in Section VII of DO 26, s. 2022
SGC Functionality Sub-indicators:
The specific activities that shall enable the achievement of their corresponding functionality indicator
In view of the foregoing, the following enclosed documents are issued for guidance and reference:
For School Year 2022-2023, the SGC Functionality Tool shall be rolled-out to public secondary schools only. Public Elementary Schools may use the tool for self-assessment in preparation for the roll-out next school year but are NOT REQUIRED to accomplish the tool via Google Forms.
For queries and concerns, kindly contact Ms. Marian Efondo of BHROD-SED through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the dissemination and appropriate action.
Table of Contents
SGC Functionality Assessment Tool
In relation to the mandate of DO. 26, s. 2022 on the establishment of School Governance Council (SGC) and to ensure that all public schools are able to establish functional SGCs, the Bureau of Human Resource and Organizational Development – School Effectiveness Division (BHROD-SED) shall conduct a monitoring and evaluation of SGCs using the SGC Functionality Assessment Tool (“Tool”).
The SGC Functionality Assessment Tool (“Tool”) aims to initially assess the functionality of SGCs in secondary schools. The Tool consists of the following components:
Two (2) Main Purposes
(1) To provide structure for shared governance, and (2) to provide a feedback mechanism
Twelve (12) Functionality Indicators
Functionality indicators are anchored on the two main purposes of the SGC and can be found in Section VII of DO 26, s. 2022. In the Tool, these indicators are grouped according to the functions per purpose. Additionally, a brief description on how the Functionality Indicator can be observed is also included to provide schools with further guidance in establishing functional SGCs.
Nineteen (19) Functionality Sub-indicators
These are the specific activities that enable the achievement of their corresponding functionality indicator. In the Tool, seven (7) functionality indicators have sub-indicators. These sub-indicators are divided into:
- Primary Sub-Indicators, which are the sub-indicators that determine the achievement of their corresponding Functionality Indicators, and thus must be met; and
- Other Sub-Indicators, which are the sub-indicators that SGCs may comply with only when applicable.
The results of the assessment shall be used as information in identifying priority areas that may need support and assistance from the different governance levels.
Accomplishing the Sgc Functionality Assessment Tool
- The SGC Functionality Assessment Tool must be accomplished ONLINE. To assist the SGC in their preparation for the accomplishment of the online SGC Functionality Assessment Tool, the Council may use this printable Tool.
- The Designated Co-Chairperson shall lead the accomplishment of the online SGC Functionality Assessment Tool. He/she must consult with the Council the data to be submitted via the online version of the Tool.
- Complete the following sections:
- School Profile: The SGC shall provide information about the school.
- SGC Functionality Indicators for Shared Governance: The SGC shall assess its functionality as a structure for shared governance based on the eight (8) functionality indicators.
- SGC Functionality Indicators for Feedback Mechanism: The SGC shall assess its functionality as a feedback mechanism based on the four (4) functionality indicators.
Determining a Functional Sgc Through the Sgc Functionality Assessment Tool
For an SGC to be considered functional, the Council must be able to comply with at least 10 out of the 12 (at least 80%) Functionality Indicators based on the minimum MOVs submitted. Thus, at a minimum, a functional SGC complies with the following requirements:
- Functionality Indicators without sub-indicators are observed (Yes to the Functionality Indicators without sub-indicators).
- Primary Sub-Indicators, under Functionality Indicators with sub-indicators, are observed (Yes to the Primary SubIndicators).
- Minimum MOVs are submitted.
Other Sub-Indicators are also recommended to be attained to further strengthen the SGC’s functionality. Further, Additional MOVs may be submitted when available to showcase its advanced practices.