2018 National Literacy Awards Guidelines on the Selection Process
A Regional Selection Committee (RSC) shall be organized composed of the following:
Regional Director, Department of Education (DepEd)
Regional Director, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)
Regional Director, Philippine Information Agency (PIA)
Regional Director, National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA)
President, Academe (State University/ College)
ALS Focal Person, President
The Literacy Coordinating Council shall provide information on the functions and responsibilities of the RSC. This shall be discussed by the RSC chairperson with the members. The chairperson shall give background information on the criteria for selection and the timetable of activities.
IN THE ABSENCE OF THE CHAIRPERSON, ANY MEMBER OF THE RSC MAY PRESIDE OVER THE MEETINGS.
Nominees for the National Literacy Awards must submit the following documents:
- a clear, simple and straightforward Executive Summary of not more than five pages in A4 bond size, double-spaced, describing the nominated program/s or local government unit based on the set criteria, and highlighting the winning literacy component of the program for validation;
- three copies of the nominee’s portfolio of not more than fifty pages in A4 bond size, double-spaced, containing only related documents and data including photographs (size: 3”x 5”, not to exceed 20 pieces; video documentation is not encouraged) in accordance with the category and criteria but limited to those in effect within three years prior to the date of entry;
- electronic copy (in CD or USB) of the nominee’s portfolio including photographs for possible uploading in the LCC website.
- individual score sheets of the Regional Selection Committee (RSC) members duly signed by the rater and countersigned by the RSC Chairperson;
- comprehensive documentation report of the selection process signed by the Coordinator and countersigned by the Chairperson.
All submitted documents shall become the property of LCC.
Entries / Nominees
To qualify as nominee for the National Literacy Awards, entries in all categories must already be in existence for at least three (3) years. The categories are literacy program and local government units.
Only literacy programs initiated by civil society organizations, private organizations or private educational/academic institutions may be nominated.
Local Government Units
The local government unit (LGU) shall be the nominee. The leadership of the local chief executive may be duly noted and recognized, but the efforts of the LGU are the main consideration. Other government organizations involved in the LGU program/project shall act as support agencies to the LGU.
Focus should be on the literacy development efforts of the various sectors: agriculture, social services, environment, and other groups such as youth, elderly, women, IPs, and PWDs.
The assessment of the LGUs’ efforts in promoting literacy and continuing education shall be sub-categorized as follows:
1. Highly Urbanized City
2. Component/Independent Component City
3. First to Third Class Municipality
4. Fourth to Sixth Class Municipality
Hall of Fame
First place winners that maintain the rank for three (3) years, consecutive or non-consecutive, shall be eligible for the Hall of Fame Awards. Subsequently, Hall of Fame awardees will no longer be eligible to join the regular search.
Hall of Fame contenders shall be subject to monitoring and evaluation by the Council a year after the last first place award was received.
Special Award of Excellence in Literacy
A Special Award of Excellence in Literacy shall be extended to Hall of Fame awardees three years after receiving the said award. The LCC team shall conduct an onsite validation of the literacy programs/projects based on the guidelines set for the Special Award of Excellence in Literacy category.
UNESCO Literacy Prize
Any outstanding literacy program implemented by NLA awardees for not less than three consecutive years may be recommended by LCC to the UNESCO International Literacy Prize, depending on the category the literacy program would fit, and based on assessment of the program.
LCC shall provide technical assistance to the program implementer in the preparation of the required documents.
2018 NATIONAL LITERACY AWARDS OUTSTANDING LOCAL GOVERNMENT UNIT CATEGORY NOMINATION FORM
2018 NATIONAL LITERACY AWARDS OUTSTANDING LITERACY PROGRAM CATEGORY NOMINATION FORM
2018 NATIONAL LITERACY AWARDS SCORE SHEET OUTSTANDING LOCAL GOVERNMENT UNIT (LGU)
Highly Urbanized City
Component/lndependent Component City
1st to 3rd Class Municipality
4th to 6th Class Municipality