June 19, 2017
DepEd Order No. 31, s. 2017
Prescribed Timelines for the Processing of Requests, Documents and Applications from the General Public
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
- For the information and guidance of all concerned, enclosed is a copy of Presidential Directive No. 2017-0086-0087, directing all Cabinet Secretaries and Heads of Agencies to process all requests and/or applications within a maximum period of one month, regardless if this merits approval or not.
- As a general rule, all Department Directors are likewise directed to process requests, licenses, and permits within 15 working days, regardless if this merits approval or not.
- The abovementioned directive shall cover requests, which can be disposed of promptly, and expeditiously, communications or requests within the jurisdiction of the office or agency, and matters, which are routinary, or the action desired may be acted upon in the ordinary course of business of the office or agency.
- Excluded from this directive are requests for investigation, resolution of administrative complaints, grievance machinery, and alternative dispute resolution, subject to disciplinary and administrative proceedings of the Department, which shall be resolved within a reasonable period.
- Further, this is to reiterate that the same is provided under Section 5 (a), (b), and (c) of Republic Act No. 6713, otherwise known as the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees:
SECTION 5. Duties of Public Officials and Employees. In the performance of their duties, all public officials and employees are under obligation to:
Act promptly on letters and requests.— All public officials and employees, shall, within fifteen (15) working days from receipt thereof, respond to letters, telegrams or other means of communication sent by the public. The reply must contain the action taken on the request.
Submit annual performance reports.— All heads or other responsible officers of offices and agencies of the government and of government-owned or controlled corporations shall, within forty-five (45) working days from the end of the year, render a performance report of the agency or office or corporation concerned. Such report shall be open and available to the public within regular office hours.
Process documents and papers expeditiously.— All official papers and documents must be processed and completed within a reasonable time from the preparation thereof and must contain, as far as practicable, not more than three (3) signatories therein. In the absence of duly authorized signatories, the official next-in-rank or officer–in-charge shall sign for and in their behalf.
6. DepEd officials and personnel determined to have violated this Order, after due process, shall be dealt with administratively. Furthermore, under the Revised Rules on Administrative Cases in the Civil Service promulgated on November 8, 2011, violation of this 15-day to respond requirement is a light offense punishable by reprimand for the first offense; suspension of one to 30 days for the second offense; and dismissal from service for the third offense.
7. All DepEd issuances, including provisions in the Citizen’s Charter, not otherwise inconsistent with this guidelines, shall remain in full force and effect.
8. This Order shall take effect within 15 days after its publication in the Official Gazette or in two newspapers of official circulation.
9. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
(Sgd)LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES