September 22, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 151, s. 2016
Reconstitution of a Technical Working Group for the Education of Undocumented Filipino Children in Sabah, Malaysia
1. Pursuant to Article VI of the Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Philippines and the Government of Malaysia on Education and Cooperation, a Joint Working Group (composed of delegates from both governments) convened on April 16, 2015, the Philippine delegation last year was composed of the following:
Chair: Undersecretary for Partnerships and External Linkages
Alternate Chair: Undersecretary for Programs and Projects
Members: Director, Bureau of Elementary Education Director, Bureau of Secondary Education Director, Bureau of Alternative Learning System Director, National Educational Testing and Research Secretary, DepEd ARMM Head of Project Management Division, CFO Representatives from ASPAC-DFA/PH Embassy in KL Technical Secretariat: International Cooperation Office
2. In view of the change in the administration and in the efforts to continuously address the education concerns of undocumented Filipino children, among others, in Sabah, Malaysia, a Technical Working Group (TWG) is reconstituted. The reconstituted TWG shall represent the Philippines in the 2nd meeting of the Joint Working Group this year which will be held in Malaysia.
3. This TWG shall have the following functions and responsibilities:
a. study the issues and concerns relating to the education of undocumented children in Sabah, Malaysia;
b. identify solutions to address the issues and concerns for recommendation to the DepEd Secretary;
c. establish a strategic plan, which includes short and long-term plans, to address the issues and concerns relating to the education of the undocumented children in Sabah, Malaysia;
d. implement, monitor and evaluate, in coordination with offices concerned, the strategic plan for the undocumented children;
e. incorporate the budgetary requirements of the strategic plan in the respective office budget of each TWG member;
f. establish partnerships and linkages with the Malaysian Government;
g. harness the support of other Philippine Government agencies to address the issues and concerns;
h. coordinate with the Philippine Embassy in Malaysia;
i. propose to the DepEd Secretary policy and legislative recommendations to address the education of the undocumented children in Sabah; and
j. submit reports to the DepEd Secretary.
4. The TWG shall be composed of the following:
Assistant Secretary Tonisito M. C. Umali, Esq. Assistant Secretary G.H. S. Ambat
Director Margarita Consolacion C. Ballesteros
Director Jocelyn DR. Andaya
Director Nelia V. Benito
Director Marilette R. Almayda
Director Edel B. Carag
Director Roger B. Masapol
Mr. Myron Gil D. Talosig
Technical Secretariat: International Cooperation Office Staff
5. All expenses relative to the conduct of TWG meetings shall be charged to OSEC funds, subject to accounting rules and regulations.
6. For queries/concerns on the matter, all concerned may contact the International Cooperation Office at telephone no. (02) 637-6463 or through email address: email@example.com.
7. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES