June 16, 2016
DepEd Order No. 40, s. 2016
Approval and Implementation of the Revised Rationalized Staffing Pattern for the School Health and Nutrition Units of the Department of Education
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
All Others Concerned
1. In December 2014, the Department of Education (DepEd) issued DepEd Order (DO) No. 49, s. 2014 Guidelines on the Functions and Assignment of School Health and Nutrition Personnel in the Implementation of the DepEd Rationalization Program, which emphasized the moratorium on the implementation of plantilla and personnel actions for the School Health and Nutrition (SHN) units and personnel.
2. With the approval from the Department of Budget and Management, this Department issues the enclosed Guidelines on the Implementation of the Revised Rationalized Staffing Pattern for the School Health and Nutrition (SHN) Units.
3. This Order also lifts the moratorium on the temporary deferment of plantilla actions and personnel movements relevant to the SHN personnel.
4. The provisions stipulated in DO 53, s. 2013 entitled Approval and Implementation of the 2013 DepEd Rationalization Program; and DO 27, s. 2014 entitled Corrigendum to DepEd Order No. 53, s. 2013 on the Implementation of the DepEd Rationalization Plan; and DO 49, s. 2014; and other previous issuances which are inconsistent with this Order, are hereby repealed and superceded accordingly.
5. This policy shall take effect upon its approval.
6. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
(Sgd) BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
(Enclosure to DepEd Order No. 40, s. 2016)
GUIDELINES ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE REVISED RATIONALIZED STAFFING PATTERN FOR THE SCHOOL HEALTH AND NUTRITION UNITS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
1. On November 15, 2013, the Rationalization Plan (RP) of the Department of Education (DepEd) was approved by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). The approval included the rationalized structure and staffing pattern of offices at the central, regional and schools division levels.
a. As provided in the approval, the school health and nutrition personnel occupying medical and allied-medical items who opted to convert their items from regular to co-terminus with the incumbent (CTI) shall be “transferred only to DepEd-supervised priority schools to cater to the needs of the school children. Nothwithstanding this arrangement, in the exigency of the service, the medical/allied-medical personnel concerned could be required by their supervisors to provide health-related services to other schools near to where they are reassigned”.
2. In October 2014, a joint proposal on adjustments in the staffing pattern for the regions and schools divisions was submitted to the DBM for evaluation. The proposed positions and allocations were based on the study of the functions and programs of school health and nutrition (SHN), and aligned with the guidelines and principles of the new organizational structure and staffing of the Department.
3. In December 2014, DepEd Order No. (DO) 49 s. 2014 was issued. The guidelines emphasized the moratorium on the implementation of plantilla and personnel actions for the SHN personnel until DBM released their decision on the staffing pattern adjustments.
4. On March 18, 2016, the DBM approved the revised staffing pattern of the SHN Units in the DepEd regional offices (ROs) and schools division offices (SDOs).
II. Scope of the Policy
5. The scope of this issuance covers all the DepEd SHN plantilla from the ROs and SDOs. This does not include the SHN personnel: a) whose plantilla items are in the Central Office or schools; b) who have opted to avail of the retirement/ separation package under EO 366, s. 2004; or c) who have opted to transfer to agencies/offices outside of DepEd as part of the rationalization efforts.
6. The medical and allied-medical positions that will be covered in this issuance are the following:
a. Medical Officers I, II, III, and IV;
b. Dentists I, II, and III;
c. Nurse II;
d. Nutritionist-Dietitians I and II;
e. Dental Aide; and
f. Health Education Promotion Officers II and III.
III. Policy Statement
7. This Department Order is being issued to provide guidelines in the implementation of the approved staffing pattern for the SHN units in the DepEd regional offices and SDOs.
8. This Order also lifts the moratorium on the temporary deferment of plantilla actions and personnel movements relevant to the SHN personnel.
These actions may include, but not limited to conversion of items to CTI, movements, transfers, hiring and appointments of SHN personnel.
IV. Structure and Roles of the DepEd SHN Units
9. As indicated in DO 52 s. 2015 on the new DepEd organizational structures, the SHN units in the various DepEd levels shall be organized as follows:
a. Central Office – School Health Division as part of the Bureau of Learner Support Services;
b. Regional Office – SHN Unit as part of the Education Support Services Division; and
c. Schools Division Office – SHN Unit as part of the School Governance and Operations Division.
10. The SHN personnel in the DepEd shall primarily focus on the following to ensure the efficient and effective management and implementation of the SHN programs for the Filipino learners:
a. As an additional function, the SHN personnel may provide psychosocial services (e.g. individual/group counseling, debriefing) during emergency situations such as disasters, calamities, conflicts, among others. They may also conduct medical-dental examinations and services for the learners and teachers especially those without direct access to other basic health services;
b. In support of other DepEd programs, the SHN personnel may be given additional tasks and functions as may be assigned by the Secretary/Regional Director/Schools Division Superintendent;
c. In the exigency of service to meet the high demand for the health and nutrition programs and services performed by the limited number of SHN personnel, the SHN personnel may be deployed as shared services to support a cluster of schools or districts; and
d. The SHN personnel shall continue to be entitled to the allowable benefits and allowances attached to the performance of their functions, subject to existing DepEd and government rules and regulations.
11. New DepEd ROs and SDOs shall follow the approved organization and staffing standards agreed upon by DepEd and DBM.
IV. Major Provisions in the Implementation
12. The timetable for the implementation shall be agreed upon by DepEd and DBM.
13. As an amendment to DO 53 s. 2013 and 27, s. 2014, the implementation teams shall be as follows:
a. The Bureau of Human Resource and Organization Development (BHROD), in coordination with the Bureau of Learner Support Services, shall take the lead in managing the implementation by the ROs and SDOs, and ensure the complete submission of requirements to DBM.
b. The School Health and Nutrition Placement Team (SHNPT) shall take the place of the Sub-Change Management Team in managing the implementation for the SHN group in the respective ROs and SDOs;
c. The SHNPT of the RO shall be comprised of the following members:
i. Regional Director;
ii. Assistant Regional Director;
iii. Chief, Education Support Services Division;
iv. Chief, Human Resource Development Division; and
v. President or authorized representative of the National Employees’ Union
d. The SHNPT of the SDO shall be comprised of the following members:
i. Schools Division Superintendent;
ii. Assistant Schools Division Superintendent/s;
iii. Chief, School Governance and Operations Division;
iv. Authorized representative of the Human Resource Development Section/Unit; and
v. President or authorized representative of the National Employees’ Union.
14. All concerned SHN personnel shall go through the following placement process and the guidelines stipulated in DO 53, s. 2013 and 27, s. 2014:
a. Affected personnel who cannot be placed in the approved staffing pattern and wish to remain in government service shall have their plantilla items converted to CTI status;
b. The option for retirement/separation with the applicable incentives is no longer available. This option was only applicable during the specific period given by DBM in the overall approval of the DepEd Rationalization Plan in 2013.
15. All plantilla actions and personnel movements shall take effect upon approval and release of the respective Notice of Organization, Staffing and Compensation Action (NOSCA) by DBM. All concerned shall observe the following guidelines:
a. Upon the issuance of the NOSCA, the DepEd offices shall ensure that the appropriate plantilla placement notices are completed and issued first before issuing appointments related to filling up of the vacant positions.
b. The filling up of vacant positions shall be done following the provisions of DO 50, s. 2014 and other existing guidelines on the recruitment and selection process.
V. Monitoring and Evaluation
16. BHROD Organization Effectiveness Division shall continuously provide support and gather feedback from the implementing offices to ensure proper implementation and complete submission of documents to DBM. This will also include tracking of the release of NOSCAs for the regional and schools division offices, including checking for accuracy and completeness.
17. BHROD shall also establish an appeals mechanism to address the concerns and issues that may be raised by the personnel. The process shall adhere to the pertinent guidelines of Rule IX in the implementing rules and regulations of EO 366, s. 2004 and existing DepEd guidelines on grievances.
18. Provisions stipulated in DO 53, s. 2013, and 49, s. 2014, and other previous issuances which are inconsistent with this Order, are hereby repealed and superceded accordingly.
19. This Order shall take effect immediately upon its approval.