March 14, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 36 s. 2016
Table of Contents
SEVENTH ASEAN QUIZ NATIONAL COMPETITION
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The People’s Television Network (PTV), in partnership with the Department of Education (DepEd), Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), Presidential Communication Operations Office (PCOO), Philippine Information Agency (PIA), and Philippine Broadcasting Service (PBS), will conduct the Seventh ASEAN Quiz National Competition from April 5 to 8, 2016 at the PTV Inc., Visayas Avenue, Quezon City.
2. The ASEAN Quiz is a continuing project of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Committee on Culture and Information, which aims to foster the spirit of healthy competition among ASEAN youth in a friendly quiz on ASEAN cultural, political, economic and social information.
3. The ASEAN Quiz (Regional Level) participated in by the ten ASEAN member countries (previously held in Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam and Thailand) shall be preceded by the National Competition.
4. The National Competition to be held in Quezon City will be participated by the regional winners. The three winners in the National Competition shall be the Philippine representatives to the Seventh ASEAN Quiz to be held in Lao Peoples Democratic Republic (PDR) between September and October 2016.
5. In connection with the National Competition to be held from April 5 to 8, 2016 in Quezon City, the DepEd regional and schools division offices are encouraged to conduct the search in March 2016 for one student who shall represent the region and compete in the National Competition. The name of the winner will be submitted to the Office of the Director, Bureau of Curriculum Development, Attention: Dr. Rosalie B. Masilang at telefax nos. (02) 632-7746; (02) 632-7586 or through email at email@example.com not later than March 23, 2016.
6. The participants in the National Competition must:
a. be currently enroled Grade 9, between 15 to 17 years old and not be 18 years old by the time of the Regional Competition in Lao PDR;
b. come from either a public or private school;
c. be proficient in the English language, both oral and written;
d. have a grade of at least 85 in Araling Panlipunan during the first quarter of School Year 2015-2016;
e. be physically fit;
f. have good interpersonal skills and be a good team player;
g. be willing (with parental consent) to travel to Quezon City for the National Competition as well as for the Regional Competition in Lao PDR in 2016; and
h. meet other criteria which may be deemed necessary by the ASEAN Quiz Organizing Committee Philippines.
7. Expenses to be incurred during the DepEd regional and schools division search shall be charged to their respective local funds, subject to availability, and the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
8. For the National Competition in Quezon City, airfare, accommodation, food and local transportation of participants from each of the 18 regions shall be covered by the project fund, while all expenses of their teacher-coaches shall be charged to local or other sources of funds.
9. For the three winners in the National Competition who will represent the Philippines in the Seventh ASEAN Quiz in Lao PDR 2016, airfare, accommodation, food and local transportation shall be covered by the project fund.
10. The following are the enclosures to this Memorandum:
Enclosure No. 1 – The Seventh ASEAN Quiz National Competition Implementation Guidelines
Enclosure No. 2 – Student Information Sheet
Enclosure No. 3 – The Seventh ASEAN Quiz Mechanics
Enclosure No. 4 – Program of Activities
11. For further information, all concerned may contact Dr. Rosalie B. Masilang, DepEd Focal Person or Ms. Elenita L. Directo, Coordinating Officer, Special Committee on International Relations, People’s Television Network, telefax nos. (02) 455-9785; (02) 820-4389 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
(Enclosure No. 1 to DepEd Memorandum No. 36, s.2016)
THE SEVENTH ASEAN QUIZ NATIONAL COMPETITION IMPLEMENTATION GUIDELINES
April 5-8, 2016
The ASEAN Quiz, a project of the ASEAN Committee on Culture and Information (ASEAN-COCI), is a competition on knowledge of ASEAN participated in by students from public and private high schools in the 10 ASEAN Member States (AMS). The Quiz aims to elicit the spirit of healthy competition among ASEAN youth in a friendly quiz game that exposes them to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations or ASEAN – its history as well as the social, cultural, political and economic developments in the region.
Now on its seventh round of implementation, the ASEAN Quiz has been recognized as an effective project for the promotion of ASEAN among the ASEAN youth. Thus, it is being given continuing support by the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community, ASEAN Committee on Culture and Information, and ASEAN Member States.
The ASEAN Quiz consists of two levels – the Regional Competition participated in the 10 ASEAN Member States and the National Competition conducted by each Member State prior to the Regional Competition.
The ASEAN Quiz Regional Competitions are being hosted on rotation by the AMS. The first Regional Competition was hosted by Thailand in 2002, the second by Brunei Darussalam in 2004, the third by Malaysia in 2006, the fourth by the Philippines in 2009, the fifth by Cambodia in 2012, and the sixth by Vietnam in 2014.
The ASEAN Quiz National Competition is conducted in each AMS to choose the country representatives in the Regional Competition.
The implementing agency for the seventh ASEAN Quiz in the Philippines is the People’s Television Network Inc. (PTV). It will have as partner agencies the Department of Education (DepEd), Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), Presidential Communication Operations Office (PCOO), Philippine Information Agency (PIA), and Philippine Broadcasting Service (PBS).
The seventh ASEAN Quiz National Competition, Philippines shall be held on April 5-8, 2016. The venue is the PTV Broadcast Center, Visayas Avenue, Quezon City. The top three winners in the National Competition will represent the Philippines in the seventh ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition to be hosted by Lao PDR between September and October 2016.
II. ORGANIZATIONAL SET UP
As in the previous implementation of ASEAN Quiz National Competition, PTV, as the implementing agency, created an Inter-agency Organizing Committee composed of representatives from its partner agencies – DepEd, DFA, PCOO, PIA, and PBS. The Organizing Committee oversees the project implementation, formulates the necessary policies, and approves the plans and activities pre-, during, and post-implementation of the National Competition.
III. THE SEARCH FOR THE PARTICIPANTS IN THE NATIONAL COMPETITION
Following the guidelines set by the Project Organizing Committee, the Department of Education directly handles the search for the participants. The search is done on three levels: schools, schools division, and region. The first placers during the regional level contests conducted in each of the 18 DepEd regional offices are sent to compete in the National Competition.
The DepEd Regional Offices shall submit the name of the regional winner, together with the accomplished student information sheet attached in Enclosure No. 2 to the Bureau of Curriculum Development (BCD) on or before March 18, 2016 through:
Bureau of Curriculum Development (BCD)
3rd Floor Bonifacio Bldg. DepEd Complex Meralco Ave. Pasig City
Telefax Nos;: (02) 632-7746 / (02) 632-7586
Dr. Rosalie B. Masilang
National Focal Person
Mobile Phone Nos.: 0908-935-5937; 0919-999-6703
The DepEd BCD will subsequently transmit the names of the regional student-participants to the PTV Network as the implementing agency.
IV. CRITERIA FOR THE SELECTION OF PARTICIPANTS
The participants for the National Competition must:
a. be in Grade 9, between 15 to 17 years old and must not be 18 years old by the time of the Regional Competition which will be held between September and October 2016;
b. come from either a public or private school;
c. be proficient in the English language, both oral and written;
d. have a grade of at least 85 in Araling Panlipunan in the first quarter of School Year 2015-2016;
e. have good interpersonal skills and be a good team player;
f. be physically fit;
g. be willing (with parental consent) to travel to Quezon City for the National Competition, as well as to Lao PDR for the Regional Competition if he/she is declared one of the top three (3) winners in the National Competition;
h. meet other criteria that may be deemed necessary by the ASEAN Quiz Organizing Committee Philippines.
Relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity of the employees of the implementing and partner agencies of the project shall not be allowed to participate in the National Competition.
V. NATIONAL COMPETITION (APRIL 5-8, 2016)
A. Dates and Venue
The participants will compete in the National Competition to be held in Quezon City on April 5-8, 2016. The venue of the competition will be the People’s Television Network Inc., Visayas Avenue, Quezon City.
B. Quiz Mechanics
The format for the Seventh ASEAN Quiz National Competition will simulate, using the manual process, the new live quiz format used by Vietnam in the Sixth ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition in 2014. The Quiz Mechanics for the Competition Proper is indicated in Enclosure No. 3.
C. Programme of Activities
The National Competition will follow a four-day schedule. The Programme of Activities is found in Enclosure No. 4
D. Development of Test Questions
A Test Development Sub-Committee of the Seventh ASEAN National Competition Organizing Committee to be composed of representatives from PTV, DFA-ASEAN, DepEd, PIA and PCOO shall formulate the questions. The Organizing Committee may also invite representatives from pertinent institutions as may be deemed necessary.
As agreed upon by the Project Organizing Committee at its first meeting on October 23, 2015, the test questions shall cover the three ASEAN Community Pillars (i.e. Political Security, Economic, and Socio-Cultural), ASEAN in general and ASEAN Member States or AMS-specific.
Suggested reference materials include, among others, official ASEAN publications from the ASEAN Secretariat in Jakarta, Indonesia and the Department of Foreign Affairs Philippines, the ASEAN websites (e.g. ASEAN Secretariat, ASEAN Communities, ASEAN Centers, etc.), website of the ASEAN Committee on Culture and Information, websites of all 10 ASEAN Member States, and other relevant official websites.
E. Board of Judges
The Board of Judges for the National Competition shall be composed of three (3) members representing ASEAN Philippines, DepEd, and an academic institution that has an ASEAN Studies Program. The Board of Judges shall elect among themselves the Chairperson.
F. Selection of Winners
The three participants with the highest scores shall be declared as the first, second, and third place winners, respectively. The fourth placer shall be declared as an alternate participant in case any of the three winners will not be able to participate in the Regional Competition.
The first, second, and third place winners shall compete in the Seventh ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition that will be held in Lao PDR to be conducted between September and October 2016.
G. Awarding Ceremony
The Awarding Ceremony for the winners will be led by Secretary Sonny Coloma, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) to be assisted by the members of the Board of Judges, PTV Network General Manager and representatives from the partner agencies.
Prizes for the Seventh ASEAN Quiz National Competition are:
First Prize P 20,000.00 cash and a Medal of Recognition for the winner, a trophy for the school, and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach
Second Prize P 15,000.00 cash and a Medal of Recognition for the winner, a trophy for the school, and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach
Third Prize P 10,000.00 cash and a Medal of Recognition for the winner, a trophy for the school, and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach
VI. ADMINISTRATIVE AND LOGISTICAL ARRANGEMENTS
A. For the Participants
- The travel expenses, board and lodging of the 18 DepEd participants shall be shouldered by the National Competition Project Funds.
- The 18 participants shall stay in Quezon City throughout the four days of the National Competition.
- During the Quiz Proper, the participants shall wear the recognized/accepted regional dress.
B. For the Coaches
- Each participant shall be accompanied by one coach during the Quiz period.
- The 18 coaches will be provided meals and transportation while in Quezon City during the Quiz period, but accommodation venue and travelling expenses from place of origin to Quezon City and back shall be charged to local funds and other sources of funds subject to the usual auditing rules and regulations.
- The 18 coaches will be billeted with the participants in the same hotel. Booking assistance will be provided to the coaches by the Quiz Secretariat.
- During the Quiz Proper, the coaches are requested to also wear the recognized/accepted regional dress.
VII. PROMOTIONS AND PUBLICITY OF THE SEVENTH ASEAN QUIZ NATIONAL COMPETITION
- The ASEAN Quiz shall be given maximum publicity through print (press releases), radio (plugs), TV (TV guestings and plugs), online (official websites and social media accounts) and mobile (SMS blasts).
- The websites of PTV, DFA, DepEd, PCOO, PIA, and PBS will be used for the promotion of the ASEAN Quiz.
- A Souvenir Program will be developed for the Seventh ASEAN Quiz National Competition.
VIII. AIRING OF THE SEVENTH ASEAN QUIZ NATIONAL COMPETITION
The National Competition shall be broadcast on PTV Channel 4.
IX. THE SEVENTH ASEAN QUIZ REGIONAL COMPETITION
- The Seventh ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition will be held in Lao PDR between September and October 2016.
- The top three winners in the National Competition shall represent the Philippines in the Regional Competition.
- The travel expenses, accommodation, and meals of the three representatives shall be shouldered by Lao PDR through the Seventh ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition project fund.
- Coaches of the national winners, DepEd National focal person, and other DepEd officials, who might wish to join the Philippine delegates in Lao PDR in 2016, shall charge their travel and other incidental expenses to the local funds or other sources of funds, subject to the usual auditing rules and regulations.
- The Project Organizing Committee will prepare a briefing/review session for the Philippine participants prior to their departure for the Regional Competition in Lao PDR. The coaches are expected to join participants in the Regional Competition.
Seventh ASEAN Quiz Mechanics
07 April 2016
Studio A, PTV-4, Quezon City
- The 18 participants from DepEd’s 18 regions shall compete individually in two segments.
- The Quiz format will use the manual process to stimulate the new live quiz format used by Vietnam in the 6th ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition in 2014.
- The two (2) segments are as follows: Segment 1: True or False and Multiple Choice / Segment 2: Fill-in-the-Blanks or Completion
- Segment 1: The True or False part will have 25 questions. Each correct answer will be given 1 point. The Multiple Choice part will have 15 questions. Each correct answer will be given 1 point. Total score is 40 points.
- Segment 2: The Fill-in-the-Blanks or Completion will have 20 questions. Each correct answer will be given 3 points. Total score is 60 points.
- The total points for the Competition is 100.
- The participants shall be seated in individual chairs with armrest.
- Each participant shall be provided a white board, marker and an eraser to be used in answering the questions for Segments 1 and 2. Participants will write their answers on the whiteboard.
- For Segment 1 (True or False and Multiple Choice), participants will write the word True or False for the True or False questions and write the letter of the correct answer for the Multiple Choice questions. Participants will be given 10 seconds to write down their answer.
- For Segment 2 (Fill-in-the-Blanks or Completion), participants will be given 15 seconds to write down their answers. A buzzer shall indicate that the time is up. Answers should be written in full; with no abbreviations or acronyms. Articles and prepositions should be correct. Answers with incorrect spelling will be considered wrong. Corrections may be made by the participants, but the previous answers must be fully erased or fully crossed out within the given time.
- Each question in Segments 1 and 2 will be read twice. Only after the Quizmaster reads the question for the second time, and says ‘GO’ should the participants write their answer. When the time is up, the Quizmaster will say “Markers Up”. Participants will then hold up their markers and whiteboards to show their answers. The Quizmaster will read aloud the answer of each participant. The scorers will record the answers accordingly. A cumulative score per participant will be announced by the Quizmaster after each round before moving on to the next segment.
- The Organizing Committee and the Sub-Committee on Test Development and Quiz Mechanics shall provide technical support and clarifications the Quiz.
- Scoring Systems. There will be two scoring systems to ensure correctness of tabulations, to be handled by a PTV Scoring Team designated by the Organizing Committee. These two scoring systems are: (1) computerized, and (2) manual, using scoring sheets and a tabulation board prominently displayed for the reference of the 18 participants, the Board of Judges, the Seventh ASEAN Quiz National Competition Organizing Committee, the Sub-Committee on Test Development and Quiz Mechanics, coaches, and other guests.
- After the completion of Segment 2, the cumulative points earned by each participant in the two segments will be tabulated. The results will be examined and verified by the Seventh ASEAN Quiz Organizing Committee. When the results have been verified, these will be submitted to the Board of Judges and announced accordingly by the Quizmaster.
- The Chairperson of the Board of Judges shall declare the First, Second, and Third Place Winners. The three highest pointers shall represent the Philippines in the Seventh ASEAN Quiz Regional Competition in September or October of 2016 in Lao PDR. The Fourth place winner shall be declared as the alternate team member in case anyone of the three winners will be unable to go to Lao PDR for the Regional Competition.
- In case of a tie, scores will go back to zero. Tiebreaker question/s shall then be asked until definite winners for First, Second, and Third Placer emerge.
- Should there be questions or protests, the Board of Judges shall decide on the matter. Their decision is final.
[scribd id=304633061 key=key-wOSqqPn4Fi4rsC2e8zvv mode=scroll]