Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd), in partnership with the Philippine Commission on Women (PCW) and the Inter-Agency Council on Violence Against Women and Their Children (IACVAWC), will conduct the 2015 18-Day Campaign to End Violence Against Women and Children (VAWC) with the theme End VAWC Now! It is our Duty!: Gains and Ways Forward. This is pursuant to Republic Act (RA) No. 10398 entitled Declaring November 25 of Every Year as the National Consciousness Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women and Children (VAWC) and Presidential Proclamation No. 1172, s. 2006 entitled Declaring November 25 to December 12 of Every Year as the 18-Day Campaign to End Violence Against Women.
2. The Campaign aims to give emphasis on how far government agencies and other stakeholders have gone in terms of programs and projects which address violence against women and children.
3. All DepEd offices, including regional offices (ROs), schools division offices (SDOs), and schools, are encouraged to undertake the following or similar activities during the campaign period:
a. Participation in the following activities led by PCW:
i. November 25 – Kick-off Activity: Assembly of Anti-VAWC Advocacy Supporters (The guidelines for agency participation will be issued by PCW.)
ii. December 1 – Promoting Safe Communities: A Forum with Male Advocates Against Violence Everywhere, to be held at the AFP Theater, Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City (This is open to all male officials, students, faculty, and employees.)
iii. December 8-10 – CineJuana 2015 Film Festival (This is open to the public, free admission; PCW will issue announcement on films and screening schedules.)
b. Participation in the Orange Your Icon for 18-Days advocacy (The briefer is detailed in Enclosure No. 1.);
c. Hanging of streamers announcing participation in the Campaign posted on PCW website for specifications/ design of the streamer;
d. Participation in the online campaign thread about the observance by uploading the official logo and campaign information on the website, facebook and twitter pages (official hashtag #endVAWph) of the office or school;
e. Inclusion of the 18-Day Campaign and other VAWC information, education, and communications (IEC) materials in the office or school publication or newsletter; and
f. Conduct of advocacy campaigns, production and dissemination of IEC materials about VAWC to employees, learners, clients, and other stakeholders.
4. In order to map out various campaign activities throughout the country, DepEd offices and schools are requested to provide the PCW with information on 18-Day Campaign to End VAWC activities. To facilitate this, heads of offices and school heads are advised to feature or upload announcements, reports, photos and videos of their campaign activities on their official websites, and send a link to the PCW site through [email protected] Offices and schools that wish to have their major activities included in the national 18-Day Campaign to End VAWC Calendar to be featured in the PCW website are requested to submit to PCW information about their activities using the form contained in Enclosure No. 2.
5. All expenses relative to the Campaign shall be charged to the Gender and Development (GAD) Funds, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
6. All ROs are expected to submit a consolidated report of all the activities conducted during the campaign period on or before December 21, 2015 to the GAD Focal Point System (GFPS) Secretariat, Attention: Director John Arnold Siena, National Educators Academy of the Philippines (NEAP), Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, Room 217, Mabini Building, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
7. All concerned may obtain more information posted on: http://www.pcw.gov.ph.
8. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
Bro. Armin A. Luistro
You are Invited to Orange Your Icon for 18 Days!
In support of the 18-Day Campaign to End Violence Against Women
25 November to 12 December 2015
In solidarity with the United Nations’ UNiTE to End Violence Against Women Campaign, the Philippine Commission on Women (PCW) calls on all stakeholders to participate in the ORANGE YOUR ICON for 1 8 Days as part of the 2015 18 Day Campaign to End Violence Against Women and Children.
ORANGE YOUR ICON for 18 Days aims to strengthen the anti-VAW advocacy by enjoining new audiences to join our cause. The idea is to attract the public’s curiosity on why major landmarks or icons nationwide are colored orange, thereby providing opportunities for advocates to explain the Anti-VAW advocacy. This way, we can raise the awareness and consciousness of a wider audience in taking action on VAW as a public issue.
By participating in this initiative, your organization is declaring your support to the anti-VAW advocacy and bringing the message of zero-tolerance for VAW to the public’s attention.
As a bright and optimistic color, orange represents hope and a future free from violence against women and girls.
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE?
- Find major landmarks or icons in your area or community. Your icon can be historical places, statues, monuments or buildings.
- Talk to heads of your agency, local government, corporate heads or building administrators to get support and ensure that they are willing to join this global activity for a cause.
- Put orange decorations on your chosen icon. You can use flags, streamers or banners. You can even paint your landmark into orange if possible or use orange spotlights during the night! Be creative!
- Put orange lights around your landmark/icon and light them up in the evening. Last year, major landmarks around the world were lit orange to draw attention to the issue including the Empire State Building, UN Headquarters and large screens in Times Square, the Angel of Independence in Mexico City, the Palace of the President of the Republic of Ecuador, the Torre Futura in San Salvador, the Administration Building of the Panama Canal, and the Sphinx and the Pyramids at Giza in Egypt.
- We’d love to know how you ORANGEd YOUR ICON for 18 Days! Upload photos, videos and reports featuring your oranged icons and other 18-Day Campaign to End VAW activities to your official websites for everyone to know that you are part of this global campaign. Please send us a link to your site ([email protected]) so we check them out! Creative “orange” photos and relevant j campaign activities will be featured in the PCW website and social media accounts.