Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 683 dated January 28, 1991, entitled Declaring the Month of February of Every Year as National Arts Month, the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) will lead the 25th National Arts Month Celebration.
2. The Celebration aims to harvest the diversity of expressions that can be part of values education for patriotism, cultural identity, and love of country. Specifically, this event has the following objectives:
a. promote and popularize the outstanding creations of Filipino artists in the seven arts for all sectors both local and international;
b. promote the integration of arts in community life;
c. underscore the significant role of art, the artist and other stakeholders in uplifting the nation’s spirit; and
d. utilize art as a catalyst for values education.
3. For the year 2016, the National Arts Month hopes to encourage promotion of the local culture and arts scene through a festive showcase in the regions. Activities such as music, dance or theater performances, film or visual arts exhibits, visits to museums or cultural sites, and other forms relevant to the theme and selected sub-theme may be undertaken by the agency or institution in accordance with its own capabilities. The following are some of the suggested activities:
a. Contemporary creative expression of the local artists through productions, exhibitions, film screenings, book launching, and poetry readings, among other activities;
b. Cultural exchange/artist interaction with the general public;
c. Recognition of local artists;
d. Feature works of the national artists (downloadable from www.ncca.gov.ph);
e. Feature the works of a local Ani ng Dangal Awardee (also downloadable from www.ncca.gov.ph);
f. Exhibitions of local creative industries;
g. Promotion of local art practices/tradition unique to the region;
h. Art workshop or Art appreciation activities;
i. Interaction of various art forms;
j. Showcase of the creative efforts of the past year (restaging of past production, exhibitions, film screening, among other efforts);
k. Promotion of local cultural icons based on NCCA’s Sagisag Kultura ng Filipinas;
l. Cultural awareness seminar workshop for local artists, art organizations, leaders and local government units; and
m. Special art program for the marginalized group in the community (out-of-school youth, persons with disabilities, senior citizens, indigenous peoples, women and children).
4. For more information, all concerned may contact Ms. Vanessa M. Marquez-Nicolas, National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA), No. 633 General Luna Street, Intramuros Manila at telefax no. (02) 527-2192 local 302 or through email at email@example.com.
5. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC