25th National Children’s Month Celebration
October 18, 2017
DepEd Memorandum No. 167, s.2017
25th NATIONAL CHILDREN’S MONTH CELEBRATION
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) joins the Council for the Welfare of Children (CWC) and other government agencies in celebrating the 25th National Children’s Month with the theme Bata Rigtas sa Droga! This is pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 10661 entitled An Act Declaring the Month of November of Every Year as the National Children’s Month.
2. The declaration commemorates the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child by the United Nations General Assembly on November 20, 1989 and seeks to instill its significance in the Filipino consciousness.
3. In view of this, all regional and schools division offices, and schools are encouraged to undertake the following child-related activities from November 1 to 30, 2017:
a. Hoisting of a streamer depicting this year’s theme;
b. Giving of recognition or awards to the learners who have made significant contributions in their respective schools or in their communities;
c. Discussion on current issues involving children in education, in the appropriate subject areas; and
d. Conduct of child-friendly activities, such as art contests, poster and slogan-making contests, children’s fair, and/or photo exhibit in relation to the theme.
4. In addition, all DepEd central, regional and schools division offices and schools are informed of the following major activities of the National Children’s Month:
a. Press Conference on November 3, 2017;
b. Liturgical Celebration with Archbishop Valles as main celebrant on November 5, 2017;
c. Kids Festival on November 13-17, 2017 at the Rizal Park Open Air Auditorium, Ermita, Manila in partnership with the National Library of the Philippines;
d. Dikit-a-Sticker Campaign on November 16, 2017 in Quezon City, showcasing messages on drug awareness in partnership with the National Youth Commission, Safe Kids Philippines, Land Transportation Office, Department of Transportation, Integrated Metropolitan Bus Operators Association, PJG-Pasang Masa, Federation of Jeepney Operators and Drivers Association and Pinagkaisang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operator Nationwide, Tricycle Transport-TODA, and Philippine Motorbike Association; and
e. Mga Kwento ni Lolo Digong sa mga Bata on November 21, 2017 at the Malacahang Palace, in partnership with the National Library of the Philippines. Additional activities on the same date and venue include:
i. Initial Turn-Over of 10,000 pieces of whistle for the Pito Bata, Pito Project, in partnership with Rotary International; and
ii. Giving of Presidential Award for Child Friendly Municipalities and Cities (PACMFC) for 2016.
5. School heads are requested to submit a report or documentation of the activities undertaken by the school in relation to the aforementioned activities. The electronic copy of the said report or documentation must be submitted on or before December 15, 2017 to Dir. Mary Mitzi Cajayon-Uy, Executive Director V, Council for the Welfare of Children, No. 10 Apo Street, Sta. Mesa Heights, Quezon City at telephone nos. (02) 781-1039 locals 1005 and 1006 or through e-mail address: [email protected] gov. ph.
6. Expenses incurred related to the conduct of the activities in celebrating the National Children’s Month shall be charged to local funds, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
7. For more information, all concerned may contact either Ms. Edna Fe Ramirez, Office of the Undersecretary for Legal Affairs at telephone no. (02) 633-7205
8. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES