September 01, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 140, s. 2016
Creation of Records Management Improvement Committee
1. Pursuant to Paragraph 3.4, Article III of the National Archives of the Philippines (NAP) Circular No. 1 dated January 20, 2009, which states that Each agency shall create a Records Management Improvement Committee (RMIC) as an advisory body on the development of records management, the Chairman and members of which shall be designated by the Head of the Agency.
2. The Committee shall, among others, perform the following functions:
a. Implement a systematic Records Management Program in all phases of records management, i.e. creation, maintenance and disposition;
b. Identify and preserve documents which are of continuing value and promptly dispose of those which are of temporary upon the expiration of a predetermined period;
c. Determine the retention period of the agency’s records and formulate the Records Disposition Schedule, subject to the approval of the agency head and the final approval of the Executive Director of the NAP;
d. Develop policies and techniques for repairing damaged records and take positive steps to prevent loss and unauthorized destruction of records; and
e. Establish a repository for the storage of records which are no longer needed by the agency, but which are not yet ready for disposal or a program to transfer the records to the Records Management and Archives Office.
3. The composition of the RMIC is found in the enclosure.
4. For more information, all concerned may contact the Administrative Service-Records Division, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone nos. (02) 687-1449 and (02) 633-7218.
5. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES