April 26, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 65, s. 2016
Establishment of the 2016 Department of Education Task Force Operation Center in the Central, Regional and Schools Division Offices in Connection with the May 9, 2016 National and Local Elections
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
All Others Concerned
- Pursuant to Article IX-C Section 2 (4) 1987 Philippine Constitution, the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) has the power to deputize law enforcement agencies and instrumentalities of the government for the exclusive purpose of ensuring free, orderly, honest, peaceful and credible elections.
- The Department of Education (DepEd) is one of the national agencies deputized by COMELEC to ensure free, orderly, honest, peaceful and credible elections through the appointment of public school teachers to serve as chairmen and members of the Board of Election Inspectors (BEIs) for National and Local Elections.
- By virtue of the abovementioned authority granted by COMELEC to DepEd to ensure compliance with and enforcement of all orders and instructions relative to the election duties of the latter’s personnel to ensure free, orderly, honest, peaceful and credible elections, the 2016 DepEd Election Task Force (ETF) Operation Center will be established in the Bulwagan ng Karunungan, DepEd Central Office (CO), Meralco Avenue, Pasig City starting 1:00 P.M. of May 8, 2016 and ends at 6:00 P.M. of May 10, 2016.
- Likewise all regional offices (ROs) and schools division offices (SDOs) of the Department are hereby authorized to create their respective ETF Operation Centers on the same dates and schedule mentioned above.
- The DepEd ETF will ensure that teachers shall be provided with adequate information, technical and legal assistance in the course of the performance of their duties as members of the Board of Election Inspectors (BEIs), as well as school principals, supervisors, schools division superintendents and other employees of DepEd who will serve during the May 9, 2016 Automated National and Local Elections.
- The DepEd ETF Operation Center shall also serve as DepEd’s institutional link to volunteer organizations, individuals, as well as partner agencies involved in the 2016 Automated National and Local Elections.
- All DepEd officials and personnel, being in the civil service, are reminded not to intervene directly or indirectly, in any election campaign or engage in any partisan political activity, except to vote.
- Please be reminded that the Commission on Audit (COA) does not allow the grant of honoraria to the officials and personnel who will render their services in their respective ETFs. Payments of overtime pay to qualified personnel in the ROs and SDOs who will compose the DepEd ETF are hereby authorized, subject to availability of funds and existing auditing rules and regulations.
- DepEd officials and personnel in the CO who shall render invaluable services to the ETF Operation Center shall be entitled to leave credits in accordance with DepEd Order No. 53, s. 2003 entitled Updated Guidelines on the Grant of Vacation Service Credits to Teachers.
- Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC