April 20, 2018
DepEd Memorandum No. 77, s. 2018
DEPED-MTAP SCHOLARSHIP GRADUATE SCHOOL PROGRAM IN SECONDARY MATHEMATICS
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) and the Mathematics Teachers Association of the Philippines (MTAP) offer the DepEd-MTAP Scholarship Graduate School Program in Secondary Mathematics starting June 2018 to the end of May 2019.
2. The MTAP scholarship includes the following provisions:
a. schooling expenses such as tuition and miscellaneous fees and thesis writing for the 32 qualified public secondary Mathematics teachers (preferably one female and one male per region) for the Master of Arts in Curriculum Design Development and Supervision, Major in Mathematics (MACDDS). This is in consortium with St. Paul University Manila, located at 680 Pedro Gil St., Malate, Manila to prepare the Grades 11 and 12 Mathematics teachers to teach the K to 12 Basic Education Curriculum;
b. transportation fare of the scholars from the airport to the training center; and
c. board and lodging at the MTAP Training Center located at 039 Oxford St., corner Columbia St., Cubao, Qjiezon City.
3. The regional offices are requested to assist in the selection of the 32 qualified scholars. The details for the selection are found in Enclosure No. 1.
4. The details for the qualifications/requirements, schedules of screening at the different levels, and submission of documents to the MTAP Office are contained in Enclosure No. 2.
5. For further details, contact Sr. Iluminada C. Coronel FMM., President, Mathematics Teachers Association of the Philippines, 039 Oxford St., corner Columbia St., Cubao, Quezon City at telephone no. (02) 912-5249 or email at [email protected]
6. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
(Enclosure No. 1 to DepEd Memorandum No. 077, s. 2018)
DEPED – MTAP SCHOLARSHIP GRADUATE SCHOOL PROGRAM IN SECONDARY MATHEMATICS Master of Arts in Curriculum Design Development and Supervision. Major in Mathematics (MACDDS)
June 2018 – May 2019
1. Current Public Secondary Mathematics Teachers
2. Education: BSE Mathematics
AB Mathematics with Education Units and/or Engineering Courses with Education units
3. Civil Service Eligibility: Any of the following
Philippine Board Examination for Teachers (PBET)
Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET)
4. Experience: At least three (3) years teaching (third and/or fourth year Mathematics)
5. Age : 25-40 years old
6. Physically fit
7. Passer of the MTAP Qualifying Test
B. Screening Process and Documents to be Submitted
1. School Level – On or before April 21,2018
Nomination letter by the School Principal to be submitted to the Division Office
2. Division Level – On or before April 28, 2018
Endorsement of the nominees by the Division Office to the Regional Office
3. Regional Level
Selection of 3 to 5 nominees on or before May 7, 2018.
All applications should be at MTAP on or before May 10, 2018
a. Personal Data Sheet (PDS)
Attachment: Certified xerox copies of the following:
Transcript of Record
Performance Rating for the last 3 years
Seminar/’Training Certificates for the last 3 years
b. Letter of consent of the spouse (if applicable)
c. At least two certificates of good moral character (from the Principal, Division Math Supervisor and/or Regional Math Supervisor)
d. Medical Certificates from a Government Physician, including:
X-ray Urinalysis Blood Chemistry
Certification that she is not pregnant or nursing mother
e. Training Contract (Enclosure 2)
C. Qualifying Test
- The Mathematics Teachers Association of the Philippines through the Regional Office shall administer the Qualifying Examination to the 3 to 5 candidates per region on May 19,2018.
- The examination will be administered by the Regional/Division Secondary Math Supervisor preferably witnessed by the Chief of the CLMD Regional Office. Accomplished exam papers should be sent by LBC or JRS to MTAP preferably on the same day in the afternoon or at the next day.
- The tests will be checked in the MTAP Office at Quezon City and the qualifiers will be announced by the MTAP through a formal letter addressed to the DepED Central and Regional Offices by May 28, 2018.
D. What to expect in the program
- This is a Master of Arts in Curriculum Design Development and Supervision, Major in Mathematics (MACDDS) program that runs for 10 to 12 months. All school expenses of the scholars will be shouldered by the MTAP. Classes begin in June, 2018.
- It consists of 9 math subjects (27 units), three education subjects (9 units) and a 6 -units thesis based on a mathematics article. On the next page is a list of the subjects in the program.
- There will be no semestral break but a 3-week Christmas break.
- Scholars are expected as much as possible to get a B for each subject. Also, they are expected to study and work cooperatively with the other scholars.
- Scholars are not allowed to go out of the Training Center without permission and may not take any tutoring.
- Scholars are expected to help in the different day-to-day chores in the MTAP Training Center and take care of their personal needs, like medications and books they may want to bring home.
Master of Arts in Curriculum Design Development and Supervision, Major in Mathematics (MACDDS)
One of the features of the K to 12 Curriculum is its six-year program in the secondary level. This radical change from a four-year curriculum greatly affects the mathematics learning continuum. Consequently, it requires the current secondary mathematics teachers in the country, the knowledge of advanced topics in the subject, particularly those included in grades 11 and 12.
This program aims to prepare our secondary mathematics teachers, both from NCR and outside NCR, in the full implementation of the K to 12 program.
|I. Required Subjects (9 units)||Units|
|MSM 101||History & Philosophy of Mathematics Education||3|
|MSM 102||Educational Research and Ethical Standards||3|
|MSM 103||Advanced Statistics||3|
|II. Major Subjects (21 units)|
|MS 201||Algebra and Trigonometry I||3|
|MS 202||High School Geometry From An Advance Viewpoint||3|
|MS 203||Algebra and Trigonometry II||3|
|MS 204||Math of Investment and Consumer Mathematics||3|
|MS 205||Number Theory||3|
|MS 207||Linear Algebra||3|
|III. Cognates (6 units)|
|MS 208||Mathematical Probability||3|
|*MS 209||Abstract Algebra||3|
*If the Scholars can afford 45 units, Robotics will just be added. If it must be 42, Abstract Algebra will be removed and Robotics will be used to replace it.
IV. Comprehensive Examination
Upon satisfactory completion of all the required and major courses, the student should formally apply to take a comprehensive examination covering Mathematics Content and Education.
Comprehensive Examinations in Educations at school.
Comprehensive Examinations in Major Subjects at MTAP
V. Thesis (6 units)
The student has to complete a paper on a mathematic topic and present it in the form of a thesis.
Summary of Units
Required Subjects – 9 units
Major Subjects – 21 units
Cognates – 6 units or 9 units
Thesis – 6 units
42 units or 45 units