Graduate Diploma in Cultural Education Leading to Master’s Degree in Cultural Education
DepEd Memorandum No. 15, s. 2016
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA), in cooperation with the Department of Education (DepEd), will conduct the Levels I and II of the Graduate Diploma in Cultural Education Leading to Master’s Degree in Cultural Education, a post-baccalaureate in-service teacher enhancement program by cluster in the following higher education institutions (HEIs), their identified project coordinators, and their DepEd counterparts:
2. The scholarship program aims to:
a. expand the teacher-participants’ knowledge base in Philippine history, culture, heritage and the arts and their application to culture-based teaching of basic education;
b. provide them with hands-on opportunities for critical dialogue with the local culture and arts practitioners;
c. help them develop knowledge structures, framework and information systems which integrate history, culture, heritage and the arts into the formal basic education curriculum; and
d. build their capability to contribute to a deeper understanding of the local history, culture, heritage and the arts in the context of contemporary Philippine realities.
3. The 24 unit graduate credit program follows a two-summer ladderized curriculum designed for public school teachers of any subject area in the elementary and high school levels. Each phase consists of 12 graduate-level academic credits. Level I scholars are expected to continue to Level II. Successful graduates of this two-summer program have the option to continue on to the Master of Education, Major in Cultural Education to be offered in HEIs selected by NCCA.
4. The following are the minimum Admission Requirements for prospective NCCA Cultural Education Scholars:
|Age||23 - 50 years old|
|Academic Qualifications||Bachelor degree with|
general weighted average of 85% or equivalent
|Teaching Experience||At least three years teaching experience in any or a combination of academic subjects in a public elementary or high school|
|Qualifying Examinations||Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET) HEI Graduate Admission Test (If any)|
|Endorsement||By any one of the following: principal, district supervisor, division education supervisor or division superintendent|
|Principal’s Certification||Service incumbency of three years,|
Good moral character, with a permanent appointment at the time of application
* Priority is given to 23 to 40 year-old applicants, 41 to 50-year old applicants may be shortlisted subject to availability of slots.
** Priority is given to 25 to 50 year-old applicants; 51 to 55-year old applicants may be shortlisted subject to availability of slots.
5. The NCCA shall provide the scholarship grant consisting of full tuition and registration, workshop kits and materials, and a P 5,000.00 stipend to subsidize meals, accommodations and other sundry expenses.The transportation to and from the venue shall be the responsibility of teacher-scholars but may be charged to local funds subject to the availability and the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
6. The deadline for submission of nominations and/or applications is on January 30, 2016 and successful applicants shall be notified on or before March 1, 2016. The implementing HEIs shall act on nominations and applications on a first-received, first-to-be-processed basis and may issue admission notice even before the deadline for application if they find that the nominee or applicant is deserving of the scholarship grant. Class sessions will start on a date to be fixed by the HEI.
7. The following documents are enclosed:
Enclosure No. 1 – Program Information
Enclosure No. 2 – Official Nomination and Endorsement Form Enclosure No. 3 – Individual Application Form
8. Inquiries may be addressed to the higher educational institution (HEI) nearest to the applicant at the contact details provided in Item 1 of this Memorandum. For further information, interested applicants may also contact:
Mr. Joseph J. Cristobal
Director, Philippine Cultural Education Task Force
National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA)
Telephone Nos.: (02) 527-2192 local 309
Email Address: [email protected]
9. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
ALBERTO T. MUYOT