DEPED MEMORANDUM No. 33, s. 2016
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to the Executive Order No. 84, s. 1999 dated March 13, 1999, entitled Declaring March as the Rabies Awareness Month, Rationalizing the Control Measures for the Prevention and Eradication of Rabies and Appropriating Funds Therefor, the Department of Education (DepEd), in collaboration with the National Rabies Prevention and Control Committee chaired by the Department of Agriculture – Bureau of Animal Industry (DA – BAI), will celebrate the observance of March as the Rabies Awareness Month with the theme End Rabies, Now Na! on March 1, 2016 at the Muntinlupa City Sports Complex, Muntinlupa City.
2. All public and private elementary and secondary schools are enjoined to organize educational and social activities to strengthen rabies prevention education and to disseminate information on responsible ownership, immunization and vaccination of pets.
a. Several activities to be conducted are as follows:
i. Free Anti-Rabies Vaccination;
ii. Mass Castration and Spray;
iii. Information Education Campaign; and
iv. Launching of Free Pre-exposure Prophylaxis and different contest activities.
b. Some suggested activities are as follows:
i. Hanging of streamers in strategic places within the school;
ii. Conduct of seminars/fora to strengthen Rabies education;
iii. Mobilization of school health personnel for advocacy on responsible pet ownership; and
iv. Coordination with other government agencies and other private sectors in the conduct of advocacy activities within the schools and communities.
3. Regional directors and schools division superintendents are encouraged to support rabies prevention and education. The regional/schools division health and nutrition units/sections, in coordination with other government organizations and nongovernment organizations, shall take the lead in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the activities in their respective areas of coverage.
4. It is expected that narrative and pictorial reports concerning the Rabies Awareness Month be incorporated in the third quarter report on the Integrated School Health and Nutrition Program, submitted to the Office of the Secretary: Attention: The Director, School Health Division, Bureau of Learner Support Services, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
5. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO