May 02, 2019
DepEd Memorandum No. 55, s. 2019
Table of Contents
SEARCH FOR THE OUTSTANDING BARKADA KONTRA DROGA IMPLEMENTERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Office of the President, through the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB), in collaboration with the Department of Education (DepEd), through the Bureau of Learner Support Services-School Health Division (BLSS-SHD), will conduct the Search for the Outstanding Barkada Kontra Droga (BKD) Program Implementers in Secondary Schools for School Year 2018-2019.
2. The search aims to:
a. strengthen the National Drug Education Program (NDEP) through the BKD movement established in the schools;
b. develop skills and understanding among students, faculty, and school administrators in initiating active responses for a drug-free school;
c. increase community awareness and participation; hence, maintaining a fully-free environment in the school, home, workplace, and community;
d. support and sustain the services in the Barkada-adopted concepts among educators, professionals, families, work forces, peer groups and other sectors; and
e. identify best practices of the different BKD Chapters, which will serve as models for other schools to implement.
3. All secondary schools with an organized and functional BKD Chapters are encouraged to join the search.
4. Enclosed is a copy of the Implementing Guidelines for the Search.
5. For more information, contact Ms. Girlie G. Azurin, Senior Education Program Specialist, Bureau of Learner Support Services-School Health Division (BLSS-SHD), 3rd Floor, Mabini Building, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone no. (02) 632-9935.
6. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
(Enclosure to DepEd Memorandum No. 055, s. 2019)
IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES FOR THE SEARCH FOR THE OUTSTANDING “BARKADA KONTRA DROGA” (BKD) IMPLEMENTERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS
School Year 2018-2019
The Office of the President through the Dangerous Drugs Board issued Board Regulation No. 5, Series of 2007, entitled “Institutionalizing the Barkada Kontra Droga Program”. This is in compliance with Section 77, Article IX of RA 9165, otherwise known as the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.
A series of launching seminars was conducted as a preventive education and information program and has evolved into a nationwide “Barkadahan” concept—a collective action among the students and the youth in the community that would strengthen camaraderie, collaboration, cooperation, solidarity and linkages in their commitment to attain a drug-free lifestyle.
Alternative activities were undertaken after the launching of the program in the different schools and in the communities, i. e. poster/slogan contest, essay writing, among others.
Since 2012, the Department of Education conducts the yearly Search for Outstanding Barkada Kontra Droga Implementers in Secondary Schools.
The search aims to strengthen the implementation of the National Drug Education Program (NDEP) through the “Barkada Kontra Droga” Program pursuant to Sec. 43 of Article IV of RA 9165 and Board Resolution No. 5 s. 1997.
Specifically, it aims to:
- Assess the extent of program implementation in the division s / regions;
- Motivate program implementers to manifest enthusiasm, leadership and deeper commitments to the implementation of the program; and
- Give recognition to program personnel’s efforts.
III. IMPLEMENTING RULES:
A. Who can participate
The Search for the Outstanding BKD Chapter is open to all secondary schools with organized and functional BKD Chapter nationwide.
B. Period of Coverage
The Search will cover BKD activities conducted from SY 2018-2019.
There will be three (3) levels of searches to be conducted as follows:
1. Division Level – The search will be conducted in June 2019 by the Division Evaluating Team. The winner at the respective Division level shall be submitted to the Regional Evaluating Team on or before July 31, 2019.
2. Regional Level – The search for the regional level will be done in August 2019 in which the best entry in each region shall be submitted to the National Evaluation Team on or before September 13, 2019.
3. National Level – Two levels of evaluation shall be conducted
- Paper Evaluation – September 16-19, 2019
- Field Evaluation – September to December 2019
C. Awarding Ceremony will be on the first quarter in December 2019.
|Functionality of the BKD Program on Drug Abuse Prevention in Secondary Schools||10%|
|a. Activities / Timetable||10%|
|Coverage and Scope of Implementation||15%|
|a. School-wide implementation||10%|
|b. Community involvement and partnership||5%|
|Nature of Extent of Drug Abuse Prevention Activities / Projects Initiated / Implemented / Organized (indicate number and support with documents)||30%|
(Use of Mass-Media-Print, TV/ broadcast, films, slide presentation, exhibits, etc.)
(Integration of drug abuse prevention concepts and BKD components in classroom instruction, organizing seminar-work shops on drug abuse prevention, launching of BKD, seminars, capability building, etc.)
(Provision of guidance and counseling services, peer counseling, referral services, assistance to student surrenderers if any, etc.)
(Sports / Athletics, Cultural, Income-Generating, Arts and Crafts, Religious, Civic and other Recreational Activities)
|Extent of Involvement of the Following in Terms of Providing Leadership and Support in Program Implementation||20%|
|c. School Administrators||2%|
|d. Parent-Teacher Association (PTA)||2%|
|e. Socio-Civic / Religious Organizations||2%|
|f. Government Officials / Agencies||2%|
|g. Non-Government Officials / Agencies||2%|
|Attainment of Objectives||20%|
|Monitoring and Evaluation Scheme||5%|
E. Evaluation Team
The Evaluation Team shall be composed of representatives from the following agencies:
Dangerous Drugs Board – 2
Department of Education – 2
National Youth Commission – 1
Non-Government Organization – 1
The representatives from the abovementioned agencies should have direct involvement in drug abuse prevention and control.
The decision of the Evaluation Team shall be final and unappealable.
F. Awards and Prizes
There will be five (5) National Winners, to wit:
|1st Prize||P 50,000.00 each + Plaque|
|2nd Prize||40,000.00 each + Plaque|
|3rd Prize||30,000.00 each + Plaque|
|2 consolation prizes||10,000.00 each + Plaque|
G. Hall of Fame Award shall be given to a school that has been awarded First Prize at least three (3) times. The Evaluation Team will conduct unannounced visits to the school after conferring the Hall of Fame Award to ensure sustainability of the school’s BKD Program.
The regions shall submit the attached Entry Form to be signed by the Regional Director or his authorized representative. Only one entry is allowed per region.
The regional entry shall consist of all the materials that show evidence of the school’s BKD activities and programs. It can include the following:
- Memoranda, circulars, special orders
- Photos/videos of BKD activities and programs of the school
- Publications of activities on drug abuse prevention and other pertinent documents
I. Submission of Entries
All official entries (one (1) per region endorsed by the Regional Director) for the National Search should be submitted directly to the Bureau of Learner Support Services-School Health Division (BLSS-SHD) DepEd Central Office. Entries submitted to the DDB will not be considered. Deadline for the submission will be on September 13, 2019.
The Evaluation Team has the right to disqualify entries that do not comply with the guidelines.