August 11, 2017
DepEd Order No. 42, s. 2017
National Adoption and Implementation of the Philippine Professional Standards for Teachers
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. In line with the new professional standards for teachers, the Department of Education (DepEd), through the Teacher Education Council (TEC), issues this DepEd Order entitled National Adoption and Implementation of the Philippine Professional Standards for Teachers (PPST).
2. The DepEd recognizes the importance of professional standards in the continuing professional development and advancement of teachers based on the principle of lifelong learning. It is committed to supporting teachers, and taking cognizance of unequivocal evidence that good teachers are vital to raising student achievement. Quality learning is contingent upon quality teaching. Hence, enhancing teacher quality becomes of utmost importance for long term and sustainable nation building.
3. The changes brought about by various national and global frameworks such as the K to 12 Reform, ASEAN Integration, globalization, and the changing character of the 21st century learners necessitate the improvements and call for the rethinking of the National Competency-Based Teacher Standards (NCBTS); hence, the development of the PPST.
4. The PPST aims to:
- set out clear expectations of teachers along well-defined career stages of professional development from beginning to distinguished practice;
- engage teachers to actively embrace a continuing effort in attaining proficiency; and
- apply a uniform measure to assess teacher performance, identify needs, and provide support for professional development.
5. The regional offices shall be supported by their training and development personnel to organize and orient all the schools divisions within their jurisdiction for the PPST. In addition, it shall take charge of the monitoring and evaluation at the division level implementation. The schools division office shall have the same functions and responsibilities in the school districts and secondary schools.
6. Reporting of the orientation and related activities shall be done by the regional office to the Office of the Secretary through the Teacher Education Council.
7. The PPST shall be used as a basis for all learning and development programs for teachers to ensure that teachers are properly equipped to effectively implement the K to 12 Program. It can also be used for the selection and promotion of teachers. All performance appraisals for teachers shall be based on this set of standards.
8. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
(Sgd)LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
- DO 41, s. 2017 – Policy Guidelines on Madrasah Education in the K to 12 Basic Education Program
- DO 40, s. 2017 – Guidelines for the Conduct of Random Drug Testing in Public and Private Secondary Schools
- DO 39, s. 2017 – Operational Guidelines on the Implementation of School-Based Feeding Program for School Years 2017-2022