Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 124 issued on November 26, 2001, entitled Declaring the Third Week of November of Every Year as Drug Abuse Prevention and Control (DAPC) Week, this year’s Celebration will be observed from November 15 to 21, 2015 with the theme Let’s Develop Our Lives, Our Communities, Our Identities Without Drugs.
2. The Celebration of the Drug Abuse Prevention and Control (DAPC) Week aims to make people aware of the dangers posed by drug abuse, and to further strengthen their resolve to do their share in the fight against this menace.
3. All public and private elementary and secondary schools are enjoined to organize educational and social activities to celebrate the occasion. The suggested activities are the following:
a. Putting up of bulletin displays depicting the theme in strategic places in the schools and in the community;
b. Radio broadcast announcing the DAPC Week Celebration;
c. Coordination with local government units (LGUs), such as municipal and barangay officials, parents-teachers associations (PTAs), and nongovernment organizations (NGOs) related to the week’s activities.
Activities during the Week
a. Holding of Interfaith services to mark the beginning of the week;
b. Conduct of school-community parade;
c. Conduct of literary-musical program;
d. Holding of intensive educational campaign against drug abuse through symposia, seminars, film showing, community assemblies, school PTA meetings/conferences and print broadcast media;
e. Conduct of contests, such as slogan and essay writing, poster making, painting/drawing sketching, composition of jingles, rhymes, song;
f. Integration of the drug abuse prevention messages/concepts in appropriate subject areas at the elementary and secondary levels and in the school paper/ organ;
g. Holding of exhibits and shows to be participated by all sectors in the community;
h. Awarding of certificates of recognition to outstanding organizations which have made significant contributions toward the prevention of drug and substance abuse in the schools and in the community; and
i. Mobilization of all school organizations and scouts in the drug abuse prevention activities.
4. National Drug Education Program coordinators from the schools division and regional offices are enjoined to reach out/coordinate activities with different LGUs and NGOs.
5. However, activities should not disrupt classes as stipulated in DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005, Instituting Measures to Increase Engaged Time-on-Task and Ensuring Compliance Therewith.
6. A brief narrative and pictorial report on the observance of DAPC Week shall be submitted to the Health and Nutrition Center, 4th Floor, Dorm E, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City not later than December 11, 2015 or through email address; firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
Bro. Armin A. Luistro, FSC