January 21, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 10, s.2016
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd), in collaboration with other government and non-government organizations (NGOs), will celebrate the 2016 National Intellectual Disability Week from February 14 to 20, 2016 pursuant to the enclosed Presidential Proclamation No. 1385, s. 1975. This year’s theme is A Welcoming Place for Every One in the Community.
2. The Department encourages all school heads especially those from schools with Special Education (SPED) programs to conduct any of the following suggested school-based activities during the week:
a. inviting the public to visit schools and classes or other educational service providers for children and youth with intellectual disabilities;
b. holding cultural shows, sports fest, photo and work exhibits, advocacy campaign in radio and television shows and other activities, which will feature success stories;
c.showcasing the potential capabilities of children and youth with intellectual disabilities;
d. conducting dialogues with parents, service providers and stakeholders on the theme of the celebration;
e. discussing the best practices and systems approach to better improve inclusion of children with intellectual disabilities in the classroom, school and community during meetings of teachers and parents in regular classes or school programs; and
f. organizing a day camp to provide opportunities for children and youth with disabilities to explore and learn while having fun and to highlight the celebration of the 2016 National Intellectual Disability Week.
3. The National Capital Region (NCR), the Quezon City Government (QCG), in coordination with DepEd-NCR, Philippine Association for Intellectual Disability Inc., Jaycees Capitol Inc. (JCI)-Quezon City, Manila Water (MW) and the Metropolitan Water and Sewerage System (MWSS), will sponsor the Annual Camp Pag-ibig at the Balara Filter Plant, Quezon City on February 14, 2016. Children enroled in special classes, including teachers, administrators and supervisors, are encouraged to join the activity. Conduct of a similar activity in all regions is encouraged.
4. All activities to be undertaken should not disrupt regular classes nor compromise their supervision pursuant to DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005 entitled Instituting Measures to Increase Time-on-Task and Ensuring Compliance Therewith. Community-based activities should be conducted during Saturday and Sunday of the week.
5. All regional offices shall submit a report on the conduct of activities related to the Celebration within 30 days after the observance through email at sped_bee. [email protected] com.
6. For more information, all concerned may contact the Student Inclusion Division (SID)-Bureau of Learning Delivery (BLD), Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, 5th Floor, Bonifacio Building, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone no. (02) 631-9993 or send a message through the abovestated email address.
7. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC