September 01, 2016
DepEd Memorandum No. 139, s. 2016
2016 National Teachers’ Month, National Teachers’ Day and World Teachers’ Day Celebration
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) will celebrate the National Teachers’ Month (NTM) from September 5, 2016 to October 5, 2016 which is also the National Teachers’ Day (NTD) and World Teachers’ Day (WTD). This is pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 242 entitled Declaring the Period from September 5 to October 5 of Every Year as National Teachers’ Month, as well as Republic Act 10743 entitled Declaring the 5th Day of October of Every Year as the National Teachers Day, and to the designation of the World Teachers’ Day every 5th of October by the United Nations Education and Cultural Organizations (UNESCO).
2. This year’s NTM theme is Guro Kabalikat sa Pagbabago.
3. The Celebrations aim to:
a. honor those who are in the teaching profession;
b. acknowledge and give emphasis on the crucial role, loyal service and dedicated commitment of teachers in developing globally-minded citizens, nurturing families, strengthening communities, and building the nation;
c. revitalize the image of and respect for teaching as a vocation by increasing public awareness on the value of teachers in the Philippine society;
d. take the occasion as an opportunity in building the image of teaching as an attractive and fulfilling profession;
e. generate widespread support and assistance for teachers; and
f. express gratitude for the positive influences of teachers on Filipino learners.
4. All public and private elementary and secondary schools, including district, division and regional offices are enjoined to follow the synchronized programs, projects and activities (SPPAs). On October 5, school-based celebrations, including the recitation of A Prayer for Teachers or Panalangin Para sa mga Guro shall be observed.
5. The Central Office shall conduct the NTD and WTD Celebrations on September 30, 2016 through a whole day program set at the Ateneo de Davao University, Jacinto St., Davao City.
6. All school heads, district supervisors, schools division superintendents (SDS), and regional directors (RDs) are enjoined to actively lead all activities for the NTM, NTD and WTD Celebrations.
7. All schools, school districts, schools division, regional and central offices are required to post streamers with the required logo to ensure that the public is aware of the NTM, NTD and WTD Celebrations. The digital files of the new streamer designs may be downloaded from www.deped.gov.ph/others.
8. In accordance with the SPPAs, all SDSs through the RDs are required to submit the following:
9. The regional offices shall consolidate these requirements and submit to the External Partnerships Service (EPS) through email address: [email protected], for coordination and monitoring purposes.
10. All expenses relative to NTM, NTD and WTD Celebration shall be charged to local funds, subject to the usual government accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
11. Compliance with the abovementioned requirements and the SPPAs for NTM, NTD and WTD shall be strictly monitored by the EPS.
12. Enclosed for ready reference are the following:
Enclosure No. 1 – Presidential Proclamation No. 242;
Enclosure No. 2 – Republic Act No. 10743;
Enclosure No. 3 – Synchronized Programs, Projects and Activities;
Enclosure No. 4 – Official Streamer Design;
Enclosure No. 5 – Official Logo Design;
Enclosure No. 6 – A Prayer for Teachers; and Enclosure No. 7 – Panalangin Para sa mga Guro.
13. For more information, all concerned may contact the Special Events Unit-External Partnerships Service (SEU-EPS), Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City either at telephone nos. (02) 637-5832; (02) 637-5834 or email at [email protected]
14. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES