August 15, 2017
DepEd Memorandum No. 137, s. 2017
Table of Contents
2017 National Teachers’ Month and National Teachers’ Day/World Teachers’ Day Celebrations
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) will celebrate the National Teachers’ Month (NTM) from September 5 to October 5, 2017, which is also the National Teachers’ Day (NTD) and World Teachers’ Day (WTD). This is pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 242 entitled Declaring the Period from September 5 to October 5 of Every Year as National Teachers’ Month, as well as Republic Act No. 10743 entitled An Act Declaring the Fifth Day of October of Every Year as the National Teachers’ Day, and the designation of the World Teachers’ Day every 5th of October by the United Nations Education and Cultural Organizations (UNESCO).
2. This year’s theme is Gurong Pilipino: Kaakbay sa Progreso.
3. The Celebrations aim to:
a. honor those who are in the teaching profession;
b. acknowledge and give emphasis on the crucial role, loyal service, and dedicated commitment of teachers in developing globally-minded citizens, nurturing families, strengthening communities, and building the nation;
c. revitalize the image of and respect for teaching as a vocation by increasing public awareness on the value of teachers in the Philippine society;
d. take the occasion as an opportunity in building the image of teaching as an attractive and fulfilling profession;
e. generate widespread support and assistance for teachers; and
f. express gratitude for the positive influences of teachers on Filipino learners.
4. All public and private elementary and secondary schools, including district, schools division and regional offices are enjoined to follow the synchronized programs, projects and activities (SPPAs). On October 5, 2017 school-based celebrations, including the recitation of A Prayer for Teachers or Panalangin Para sa mga Guro shall be observed.
5. The Central Office shall conduct the NTD and WTD Celebrations on October 5, 2017 through a whole day program set at the Ibalong Centrum for Recreation, Legazpi City.
6. All school heads, district supervisors, schools division superintendents (SDSs), and regional directors (RDs) are enjoined to actively lead all activities for the NTM, NTD, and WTD Celebrations.
7. All schools, school district offices, schools division offices, regional, and central offices are required to post streamers with the required logo to ensure that the public is aware of the NTM, NTD, and WTD Celebrations. The digital files of the new streamer designs may be downloaded from www.deped.gov.ph/others.
8. In accordance with the SPPAs, all SDSs through the RDs are required to submit the following:
|a. Respective plans on NTD/WTD celebrations, foremost of which is the conduct of their respective culminating activity||On or before September 2, 2017|
|b. Names and contact numbers of their respective schools division and regional coordinators for the NTM, BTD, and WTD celebrations; and||On or before September 2, 2017|
|c. Reports on the activities conducted by the schools, districts, divisions, and regions which shall include clear photos and a comprehensive documentation of the various activities implemented.||October 31, 2017|
9. The regional offices shall consolidate these requirements and submit to the External Partnerships Service (EPS) through email address: email@example.com, for coordination and monitoring purposes.
10. All expenses relative to NTM, NTD, and WTD Celebrations shall be charged to local funds, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
11. Compliance with the abovementioned requirements and the SPPAs for NTM, NTD, and WTD Celebrations shall be strictly monitored by the EPS.
12. Enclosed are the following documents for ready reference:
Enclosure No. 1 – Presidential Proclamation No. 242;
Enclosure No. 2 – Republic Act No. 10743;
Enclosure No. 3 – Synchronized Programs, Projects, and Activities;
Enclosure No. 4 – Official Streamer Design;
Enclosure No. 5 – Official Logo Design;
Enclosure No. 6 – A Prayer for Teachers; and
Enclosure No. 7 – Panalangin Para sa mga Guro.
13. For more information, all concerned may contact Mr. Romeo B. Parayno, External Partnerships Service-Special Events Unit (EPS-SEU), DepEd Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone no: (02) 637-5832 or through email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
(Enclosure to DepEd Order No. 46, s. 2016)
IMPLEMENTING RULES AND REGULATIONS OP REPUBLIC ACT NO. 10743 ENTITLED AN ACT DECLARING THE FIFTH DAY OF OCTOBER OF EVERY YEAR AS THE NATIONAL TEACHERS’ DAY
Section 1. Title. This rules and regulations shall be known as the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act No. 10743 entitled, “An Act Declaring the Fifth Day of October of Every Year as the National Teachers’ Day”(NTD) otherwise known as the National Teachers Day.
Section 2. Purpose. This IRR shall provide the concerned national government agencies, local government units, other public institutions, nongovernment organizations and private institutions with adequate guidelines in celebrating the National Teachers’ Day.
Section 3. General Policy. The State recognizes the international observance of World Teachers’ Day which was first observed in 1994 by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to commemorate the signing on October 5, 1966 of the Joint UNESCO-International Labor Organization Recommendation Concerning the Status of Teachers, a landmark document that sought to establish international standards as bases to promote and protect the teaching profession.
It is also the policy of the State, by virtue of Presidential Proclamation No. 242 (s. 2011), declaring the period 05 September to 05 October of every year as “National Teachers’ Month” (NTM). All concerned departments, agencies, and instrumentalities of the national government, the various local government units, the private sector and the public at large are enjoined to actively participate and support activities and programs for the celebration thereof.
Towards this end, as the culminating activity of the National Teachers’ Month and to ensure a meaningful observance of this special working holiday, all heads of government agencies and instrumentalities, including government-owned and controlled corporations especially those that are directly dealing with the teachers, including local government units, and employers in the private sector, shall encourage and afford sufficient time and opportunities for their employees to engage and participate in any activity conducted within the premises of their offices or establishments in the celebration of the National Teachers’ Day.
Section 4. Establishment of National Teachers’ Day Coordinating Council.
There shall be established a National Teachers’ Day Coordinating Council (NTDCC). It shall be composed of the heads of the Department of Education, Commission on Higher Education and Technical Education Skills and Development Authority, Department of Interior and Local Government, Government Service Insurance System, Social Security System, Home Development Mutual Fund, LandBank of the Philippines and other government owned and controlled corporations, and private companies and organizations.
The Secretary of Education shall serve as the Chairperson of the Council. NTDCC members may nominate one representative from the private sector to act as co-chairperson of the Council.
Members from the Private Sector are encouraged to develop programs and activities intended to contribute to the growth and development of the teaching profession in the country as well as to publicly express appreciation to teachers, both active and retired. The Members shall encourage other private entities to participate in the observance of the NTD and in the conduct of programs, projects and activities prior to the NTD.
Section 5. Roles and Responsibilities of NTDCC.
The following shall be the roles and responsibilities of the NTDCC:
- Develop the strategic plan in the observance of the National Teachers’ Day and monitor progress of its implementation;
- Ensure the alignment of the National Teachers’ Day celebration with government priorities;
- Ensure the implementation of activities for this observance;
- Approve the annual budget plan for National Teachers’ Day;
- Coordinate with private sector groups to ensure alignment of activities for the entire National Teachers’ Month;
- Nominate from among its members staff and personnel to serve as the NTDCC Secretariat;
- Promote cooperation and solidarity among the Members of the Council; and
- Promote nationwide information and education campaigns for the National Teachers’ Day.
Section 6. Secretariat. The DepEd Secretary shall designate from its ranks an official to serve as head of the Secretariat. The Secretariat shall serve as the coordinating body of the DepEd with other Council Members.
Section 7. Meetings. The Council shall meet at least twice a year. Special meetings may be called for by the Chairperson at the request of any Member of the Council.
Section 8. Commitment of Members. The members shall adhere to the agreements of the NTDCC and shall carry out activities for the observance of the National Teachers’ Day.
1. All members shall have equal rights to participate in all NTDCC activities.
2. To ensure effective collaboration, members shall endeavor to implement the following measures in the best possible manner:
a. Provide funding on a cost-sharing basis or other modes of arrangement, including but not limited to, the availment of the provisions of Republic Act 8525 otherwise known as the Adopt-a-Sckool Program Act, and other public- private partnerships, for collaborative projects either with government or private entities;
b. Generate funds from other sources to support NTDCC projects;
c. Allocate funding, as may be applicable, from its budget to support or’ initiate activities for the NTD and NTM celebrations;
3. Each Member may authorize its staff or personnel to serve in the NTDCC Secretariat; and
4. Each Member shall promote nationwide information and education campaigns within its ranks and networks.
Section 9. Amendments. A request for amendment of this IRR may be initiated by any Member of the Council and presented as an agenda at the NTDCC meeting for endorsement to the Secretary of Education for his consideration.
Section 10. Separability Clause. If any provision in this IRR, or application of such provision to any circumstance, is declared invalid or unconstitutional, the other provisions not affected thereby shall remain valid and subsisting.
Section 11. Effectivity Clause. This IRR shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication in the Official Gazette or in a national newspaper of general circulation.
This IRR shall be registered with the Office of the National Administrative Register at the University of the Philippines Law Center, UP Diliman, Quezon City.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
Secretary, Department of Education