May 03, 2018
DepEd Memorandum No. 79, s. 2018
2018 LITERACY WEEK CELEBRATION
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd), in coordination with the Literacy Coordinating Council, announces the celebration of the 2018 Literacy Week from September 2 to 8, 2018. The celebration is pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 239, s. 1993 entitled Declaring the Period from September 2 to 8 of Every Year as Literacy Week, and the UNESCO Proclamation in 1966 that September 8 be celebrated as International Literacy Day from 1966 onwards.
2. The celebration aims to:
a. generate awareness and appreciation of literacy programs and projects among educators, learners, stakeholders, and the community;
b. highlight the role of education in the eradication of illiteracy;
c. create interest and understanding of issues and concerns related to literacy among various sectors;
d. develop and sustain a critical mass of social mobilizers, advocates, and supporters of literacy; and
e. recognize those who have dedicated their life’s work to reaching out to illiterate individuals and communities.
3. DepEd enjoins regional directors, schools division superintendents, district supervisors, school principals/heads, and Alternative Learning System (ALS) mobile teachers/coordinators/facilitators to conduct relevant activities in line with the objectives of the Literacy Week. Awarding ceremonies may be conducted during the Literacy Week celebration. All learners and community stakeholders are also enjoined to participate.
4. Implementation of relevant literacy programs in schools and community learning centers shall ensure that activities are aligned to DepEd goal of developing learners with 21st century skills.
5. Expenses incurred relative to the conduct of the activities during the celebration shall be charged to local funds, subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations, or through the support of external partners.
6. For more information, contact the Literacy Coordinating Council (LCC) Secretariat, 2nd Floor, Bonifacio Building, Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone nos. (02) 631-0567, (02) 631-0579, (02) 631-0590, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES