DepEd Memorandum No. 5 s. 2016
20th National Autism Consciousness Week
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. Pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 711 dated January 4, 1996 entitled Declaring the Third Week of January as Autism Consciousness Week, the Department of Education (DepEd), through the Special Education (SPED) Division, Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE), will celebrate the 20th National Autism Consciousness Week from January 17 to 23, 2016 with the theme Onwards to an Autism-OKPhilippines.
2. The Celebration aims to:
a. generate awareness, acceptance and understanding, inclusion and employment of people with autism in society; and
b. promote action by public and private sectors towards enabling people with autism to live with dignity, enjoy equal rights and access to education, services and facilities enjoyed by the nondisabled people for them to function independently and contribute productively to the society.
3. Public and private schools with programs for children with autism and SPED centers are encouraged to undertake the following activities, provided that the no-disruption-of-classes policy stipulated in DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005 entitled Instituting Measures to Increase Engaged Time-on-Task and Ensuring Compliance Therewith, shall be observed:
a. Hanging of streamers (format enclosed);
b. Conduct of IBansa, IPangako Campaign (toolkit can be downloaded from http://bit.ly/ lbansalpangako);
c. Conduct of Quiz “A”;
i. Quiz A1 for children with autism focused on an Academic Area; and
ii. Quiz A2 for pupils and students in the regular classes focused on knowledge and information about autism;
d. Indigenous painting activities/contests;
e. Folk dance and singing activities/contests;
f. Larong Pinoy (piko, patintero, sepak-takraw, palo-sebo, taguan, among other games);
g. Consultation with possible employers of people with autism;
h. Parents’ counseling activities on the why’s of autism;
i. Disaster preparedness and response activities for people with autism; and
j. Week-long exhibit on educational services offered to children with autism.
4. All concerned schools in the National Capital Region, Region IV-A (CALABARZON), and other interested schools may participate in the following activities:
|Angels Walk for Autism||January 17, 2016 (7:00 a.m.-12:00 noon) Tickets can be reserved for free at http://angelswalk2016.eventbrite.com||Mall of Asia Arena Pasay City|
|1 Bansa, 1 Pangako||January 18, 2016 (8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m.)||Respective Offices after Flag Ceremony|
|Tummy Talk: Medical Forum on Autism||January 19, 2016 (8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m.)||Medical City, Barcelona Auditorium, Ortigas Avenue, Pasig City|
|Autism-OK at Work: An Employment Forum||January 20, 2016 (9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon)||To be announced|
|Knowledge Sharing About Autism||January 21, 2016 (9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon)||Philippine Children’s Medical Center Quezon City|
|Artismo: Kulay at Saya ng Autismo Quiz “A”||January 22, 2016 (8:00 a.m.-ll:00 a.m.)||People’s Park Quezon Memorial Circle
|Artismo: Himig at Indak ng Autismo|
|January 23, 2016 (8:00 a.m.-12:00 noon)||SM Aura Taguig City|
5. All regional supervisors-in-charge of SPED shall submit a report on the activities conducted in their respective regions within 30 days after the observance through email at sped_bee. [email protected] com.
6. For further information, all concerned may contact the Special Education (SPED) Division, Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE), Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, 5th Floor, Bonifacio Building, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone no. (02) 631-9993.
7. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC