DepEd Memorandum No. 20, s. 2016
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Philippine Postal Corporation (PHLPost), in support of the Universal Postal Union’s annual International Letter-Writing Competition and in partnership with the Department of Education (DepEd), will launch the 45th International Letter-Writing Competition for Young People 2016 with the theme Write a letter to your 45-year old self. This activity is from November 23, 2015 to March 2016.
2. The Competition aims to:
a. promote literacy through letter-writing; and
b. encourage participants to express their creativity and refine their language skills.
3. The contest is open to all learners who are 15 years old and below from both public and private elementary and secondary schools nationwide. Participation of both public and private schools shall be subject to the no-disruption-of-classes policy stipulated in DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005 entitled Instituting Measures to Increase Engaged Time-on-Task and Ensuring Compliance Therewith.
4. Enclosed is the contest mechanics.
5. For more information, all concerned may contact Ms. Arlene Tiquia Labao, Project Officer, Post Shop, Philately and Museum Division, Philippine Postal Corporation (PHLPost), 3F Central Post Office Building, Liwasang Bonifacio, Manila through telephone nos. (02) 527-0108; (02) 527-0132, or visit the official website at http//www.phlpost.gov.ph, Facebook Account: @PHLPost, Twitter Account: @Ppostofficial, Instagram Account: @phlpostofficial.
6. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
45th International Letter-Writing Competition for Young People 2016 of the Philippine Postal Corporation
1. The contest is open to all elementary pupils and high school learners who are 15 years old and below both from the public and private schools nationwide.
2. The contest theme is Write a letter to your 45-year old self.
3. The entries must be recent, unpublished, and original letters.
4. Entries must be written in. English, adhere strictly to the theme, and must not exceed the limit of one thousand words.
5. Compositions must be in the form of a letter containing the basic elements: heading, salutation, body of the letter, complimentary close and signature.
6. The content committee reserves the right to test the winning participants on the originality of their entries.
7. On a separate sheet of paper, participants must indicate the following information:
a. Number of Words of the Letter;
b. Complete Name and Home Address;
c. Gender of Participant;
d. Age and Date of Birth;
e. Original Colored Digital Photo of Candidate in JPEG format (300 dpi minimum);
f. Name and Address of School/Grade Level; and
g. Contact Numbers (landline, fax and mobile phone) of School and Contestant.
8. Judging shall be based on the following Universal Postal Union-International Bureau (UPU-IB) criteria:
a. Structure as a letter 20%
b. Adherence to the theme 30%
c. Creativity 30%
d. Use of Language 20%
9. Entries must be placed in a brown envelope and may ONLY be submitted via Domestic Express Mail Service (DEMS) or Registered Mail addressed to:
UPU 45th International Letter Writing Competition for Young People (2016)
Post Shop, Philately and Museum Division Philippine Postal Corporation 3/F Central Post Office Building 1000 Liwasang Bonifacio, Manila
10. PHILPost will not accept any entry directly sent by schools or private individuals. All entries must be sent through the Post Office.
11. Entries sent through private couriers like LBC, DHL, 2GO, JRS Express, etc. shall be automatically disqualified.
12. The contest period is from November 16, 2015 to March 2016. Selection of semi-finalists must be done on or before March 30, 2016. The Final three winners must be determined not later than April 15, 2016. The First Prize from the Philippines must reach the UPU 45th International Letter-Writing Competition Committee by April 30, 2016.
First Prize – P 20,000.00 – and Philatelic presentation frame
Second Prize – P 15,000.00 – and Philatelic presentation frame
Third Prize – P 10,000.00 – and Philatelic presentation frame
First Prize – P 10,000.00 and Certificate of Appreciation
Second Prize – P 7,000.00 and Certificate of Appreciation
Third Prize – P 5,000.00 and Certificate of Appreciation
The Winning Postal Area from where the winning candidate came shall receive P10,000.00 and a Plaque of Appreciation.
The Postal Area with the most number of entries (i.e., minimum of 3,000 entries) shall receive P 20,000.00 and a Plaque of Appreciation.
14. The First Prize winning entry shall be sent by PHLPost to the International Bureau as the Philippines’ Official Entry to the UPU 45th International Letter-Writing Competition for Young People (2016).
15. A Committee shall preside and convene a group of judges who shall select the winning entries. The group shall be guided by the rules of the UPU International Letter-Writing Competition for Young People set for this year’s event.
16. From among all the entries, 50 shall be short listed by the screening committee for consideration of the panel of judges. The decision of the panel of judges shall be final and not be subject to appeal.
17. For more information and inquiries, all concerned may contact Ms. Arlene Tiquia Labao, Project Officer of the Post Shop, Philately and Museum Division at telephone nos. (02) 527-0108 or (02) 527-0132 or visit website: http:/www/phlpost.gov.ph, Facebook account: @PHLpost, Twitter account: @Ppostofficial, and Instagram account: @phlpostofficial.
Posters shall be prepared and distributed to Postal Areas for distribution to schools and post offices nationwide.