Republic of the Philippines
Department of Education
National Capital Region
Misamis St., Bago Bantay, Quezon City
Table of Contents
No. 067, s. 2014
NO READ, NO PASS POLICY
To: Schools Division Superintendents
1. The Department of Education – National Capital Region strongly believes that reading is a learning tool, therefore, if the goal is to improve academic performance, the immediate concern would be to address the problem on non-readers in the classroom. Hence, its flagship program, NCR to SOAR (National Capital Region Championing Reading to Scaffold/Strengthen Learning Skills, Overcome under achievement/ mediocrity, Accelerate academic performance and Reading proficiency).
2. Non-readers or students in the frustration level cannot cope with any of the academic requirements that will enable them to pass any of the subjects. It would follow that learning will not take place.
3. Effective Immediately, the “NO READ, NO PASS POLICY” shall be enforced. For a grade 2 student to be promoted to grade 3, he/she SHOULD be able to read in Filipino; for grades 3 and up, both English and Filipino. Take note, however, that reading without comprehension, is not reading at all.
4. Any teacher who will be found to have violated this policy will be dealt with accordingly.
5. In this connection, the pre and post test results of PHIL-IRI shall be submitted to EED.
6. Strict compliance of the Memorandum is desired.
LUS . ALMEDA