Please find the attached Regional Memorandum No. 23, s. 2016 dated March 2, 2016 from DR. PONCIANO A. MENGUITO, Director IV, regarding the “Policies on Correction of School Records,” content of which is self-explanatory.
For immediate and wide dissemination.
March 11, 2016 Update:
- DO 13, s. 2016 – Implementing Guidelines on the Direct Release and Use of Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) Allocations of Schools, Including Other Funds Managed by Schools
- DO 12, s. 2016 – Implementation of the First Tranche Compensation Adjustment for Civilian Personnel, and Military and Uniformed Personnel in the National Government
Republic of the Philippines
Department of Education
National Capital Region
Misamis St., Bago Bantay, Quezon City
March 2, 2016
Regional Memorandum No. 023, s. 2016
DepEd Policies on Correction of School Records
1. It is observed that most of the subject for correction on students’ school records are innocuous, typographical or simple which can be done by schools to lessen the burden of parents and students coming to this Office.
2. Accordingly and pursuant to the approval of the Undersecretary for Legal and Legislative Affairs of the Department of Education, the following policies are adopted effective April 1, 2016, to wit:
2.1. The schools are hereby authorized to effect correction on school records of enrolled or current students/pupils under the following circumstances:
a. Typographical error in the Form 137, card, diploma or other student record which was committed by any school personnel.
b. Changes or spell out abbreviation on the first name or surname such as “Ma.” to “Maria”; “D.S.” to “Delos Santos”; dash or mere spacing ( like De Los Santos to Delos Santos); change from small letter to capital letter or vice versa or two words to one word only ( like Devilla to De Villa; Delos Angeles to De Los Angeles) / inclusion of “Jr.” or “II,” “III,” etc., after the surname.
Provided that, it is reflected in the in the Certificate of Live Birth of the student/pupil issued by the National Statistics Office.
c. Change of name based on court decisions or Civil Registrar General’s action on petitions, provided that the change is already annotated in the Certificate of Live Birth (Birth Certificate) of the student/pupil issued by the National Statistics Office.
d. Inclusion, or elimination/deletion of middle name for students without middle name in their Birth Certificate provided that the middle name is annotated in the NSO Birth Certificate.
e. Correction of place of birth.
2.2. For this purpose, the schools shall require the submission of the original Certificate of Live Birth issued by the National Statistics Office which shall be its basis for the correction/change of entries in the school records. It will be retained as part of the student’s record.
3. Correction in the school records of students will be effected through the issuance of resolution by the Regional Office under the following instances:
a. Graduate students or those who are not anymore enrolled in the basic schools except typographical errors committed by a school personnel which may be corrected by the school.
b. Students with delayed registration of birth or those registered after the year of their birth for more than a year.
c. Change of first name or surname which is entirely different from the one entered in the official records except those under paragraph 2 .1, sub. par (c), where the name is duly annotated in the birth certificate.
d. The subject of correction is outside the instances under the preceding paragraph.
3.1. For purposes of issuance of resolution by the Regional Office, it is reminded that the following documents are required:
a. Letter of the record owner or parents/guardian, in case of minors, addressed to the Regional Director requesting for the correction or change of the entries in the school record.
b. Original copy of the Certificate of Live Birth issued by the National Statistics Office. In the absence thereof, proof of non-availability attested by the City/Municipal Registrar of the birthplace, including Baptismal Certificate.
c. Affidavit of the student or parent/guardian, for minors, explaining the circumstances surrounding the discrepancy in the records or the use of the assumed name.
d. Joint Affidavit of two disinterested persons (not related to the petitioners) attesting to the fact, among others, that the assumed name or the person with such facts of entry in the school record and the name appearing in the birth certificate refer to one and the same person.
e. Photocopy of the school form sought to be corrected.
Additional Requirements if Birth is “Late/Delayed Registration” or when the name is entirely different from the school record
a. Baptismal Certificate
b. Certification from the N.S.O. that no record of such name exist or registered.
Additional Requirements for Foreign Students
a. Certification from the Bureau of Immigration & Deportation of the correct name
b. Photocopy of Passport and Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR)
4. To immediately address erroneous entries and typographical errors in the students’ records, the School Heads should designate personnel to review the school records prepared by the Advisers in the entry grade/year level vis-a-vis the Birth Certificate of students/pupils, before the end of the first semester. Noted discrepancy between the Birth Certificate and the School Record should be immediately corrected by the Adviser concerned. The entries in the Birth Certificate shall prevail.
5. In all cases, the accuracy and integrity of the students’ school records should be ensured and maintained.
6. Division Offices are advised to immediately caused the wide dissemination of this Regional Memorandum for guidance of all basic schools in the Region.
PONCIANO A. MENGUITO
- Congratulations, you are now a teacher – what’s next?
- Reiteration of the Disciplinary Jurisdiction of the Regional Office
- DepEd Core Values Indicators: Concrete Manifestation
- Granting of Vacation Service Credits to Teachers Implementing School Supplemental Feeding Program
- Procurement of Senior High School (SHS) Teaching and Learning Materials
- List of DepEd Officials for Graduation Program