May 05, 2017
DepEd Order No. 25, s. 2017
DepEd School Calendar for School Year 2017-2018
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools Heads
All Others Concerned
- The School Year 2017-2018 shall formally open on Monday, June 5, 2017 and shall end on Friday, April 6, 2018. It shall consist of 204 school days inclusive of the five-day In-Service Training and the four days for the Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC) conducted every quarter. However, learners are expected to be in school for a total of 195 class days, as shown in Enclosure No. 1.
- Private schools may deviate from this School Calendar. However, they may not start classes earlier than the first Monday of June and not later than the last day of August, as provided in Republic Act No. 7797 entitled An Act to Lengthen the School Calendar from Two Hundred (200) Days to Not More Than Two Hundred Twenty (220) Class Days. Said schools should notify in advance their respective regional offices (ROs) regarding any deviation from the school calendar.
- The Implementing Guidelines on the SY 2017-2018 Calendar of Activities are provided to enable the schools to effectively and efficiently implement the school events and activities. Likewise, the guidelines shall allow the ROs and the schools division offices to provide support to schools, particularly in the areas of instruction and progress monitoring and evaluation.
- Schools may observe national and local celebrations/activities and holidays other than those indicated in Enclosure Nos. 1 and 2, provided that the activities are beneficial to the teaching-learning process, and that the total number of class days shall not be compromised.
- Make-up classes are recommended in lieu of class cancellations due to celebrations and holidays, as well as natural and man-made calamities. Mechanism for the conduct of make-up classes must be agreed upon by school heads and the Parent-Teacher Associations. In this regard, the ROs may issue a regional school calendar to reflect their respective concerns.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
(Enclosure to DepEd Order No. 25, s. 2017)
Implementing Guidelines on the School Calendar for School Year (SY) 2017-2018
1. The school year shall formally open on Monday, June 5, 2017 and shall end on Friday, April 6, 2018. It shall consist of 204 school days inclusive of the five-day In-Service Training and four Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC).
2. Learners are expected to be in school for a total of 195 class days for this SY. To ensure quality in the school operation and actual teaching learning, the 180-day contact time for teachers and learners is non-negotiable. The physical presence of school heads in schools shall also be enforced.
3. Local activities and observances that involve student participation, such as competitions, festivities, press conferences, culminating activities, and field demonstrations must be regulated so as to not cause disruption of classes and to ensure that the required contact time or number of teaching-learning days is met. Regions, Divisions and Schools are encouraged to plan and implement these activities once in a school year or after each quarter. There shall be no co-curricular and extra-curricular activities two weeks before the quarterly examinations.
4. A general assembly shall be conducted by all schools to orient stakeholders on the curriculum, co-curricular programs and ancillary services to support learner development and the continuous improvement of school outcomes. The assembly shall be done at least a week before the school opening to ensure that the conduct of classes is done on the formal opening of classes on June 5.
5. Parent-teacher conferences shall be done to apprise the parents on the performance of their children and ensure their involvement in school activities. These conferences shall be conducted back-to-back with the General Assembly and every second Saturday after the Quarterly Examinations except on the last conference in April 2018.
6. All elementary schools shall administer the Early Childhood Development (ECD) Checklist for Kindergarten Children during the opening of classes, midyear, and end of school year. The result will be used as basis for planning and formulating appropriate interventions for children.
7. Deworming of children in school shall be conducted within the months of July 2017 and January 2018.
8. A career guidance program shall be conducted between July and November 2017 to guide Grades 9, 10 and 11 students in making informed choices on their preferred Senior High School track.
9. At the end of the Second Quarter, a semestral break for learners shall be observed to evaluate individual teachers and their collective performance, as well as to conduct the In-Service Training (INSET) activities for their continuing professional development. An additional day for Instructional Materials (IM) preparation shall also be observed.
10. The Christmas break shall begin on Saturday, December 22, 2017. Classes shall resume on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
11. To assure quality of learning, formative assessments shall be regularly conducted by the teachers. On the national level, the Bureau of Education Assessment (BEA) shall administer the National Career Assessment Examination (NCAE) to assess the aptitude and interest of students and provide them with relevant information on their skills, abilities, and readiness for academic and non-academic courses, the Early Language Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (ELLNA) to measure the literacy skills of the learners in their respective Mother Tongues, Filipino and English and the National Achievement Test (NAT) to measure what learners in Grade 6 and Grade 10 know and can do in five learning areas.
The summer/remedial classes shall begin on Monday, April 16, 2018 and end on Friday, May 25, 2018.
12. Learner deliberation may be conducted two weeks before the graduation or moving up ceremonies for the following:
a. Learners who will receive recognition and awards;
b. Learners who are candidates for graduation. They shall accomplish their clearance one week prior to date of graduation.
13. In preparation for the opening of classes for SY 2018-2019, the schools shall conduct the following activities:
a. Early Registration of learners on Saturday, January 27, 2018 in the schools where they wish to study
b. Brigada Eskwela from May 14 to 18, 2018 to enable the community and the school to prepare their facilities before the start of another school year;
c. Oplan Balik Eskwela from May 21 to June 1, 2018 to facilitate the enrolment of learners; and
d. In-Service Training (INSET) activities for teachers from May 28 to June 1, 2018, a week before the opening of classes.
14. In Enclosure 1, a calendar is presented with specific markings.
a. Declared holidays and weekdays with no classes are crossed out (X).
b. Days with school activities for teachers, personnel and other stakeholders (e.g. PTC, general assemblies, PEPT for out-of-school learners) are boxed (^).
c. Days with student activities or activities that involve student participation (e.g. NAT, NFOT, NSPC, deworming of school children) are encircled (0). These activities are conducted on class days and may or may not disrupt classes. If the date for a student activity in a specific month is still tentative, the last school day is temporarily marked to serve as a placeholder.
d. School activities conducted for several weeks (i.e. Early Registration) are no longer reflected in the actual calendar.