Download Grade 12 Career Guidance Modules
The Department of Education (DepEd) issues the enclosed Career Guidance Modules in support to the implementation of Grade 12 Career Guidance Program.
October 31, 2018
DepEd Memorandum No. 169, s. 2018
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE GRADE 12 CAREER GUIDANCE MODULES
Bureau and Service Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Public Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The Department of Education (DepEd) issues the enclosed Career Guidance Modules in support to the implementation of Grade 12 Career Guidance Program.
2. The objectives of the module are to:
a. apply academic and employment readiness skills in work-based learning situations such as internships, shadowing or mentoring; and
b. determine a clear directional exit after senior high school.
3. The modules were rolled-out nationwide during the National Training of Trainers and Mass Training of Teachers and Career Advocates. The modules shall be delivered by the class adviser during the weekly Homeroom Guidance between September 2018 to March 2019. The school heads/principals, through the Youth Formation Coordinators in close coordination with the school guidance counselors/coordinators/advocates, shall ensure and supervise the implementation of the career guidance modules.
4. The schools shall deliver four modules each semester. The Modules 1 to 4 for the first semester and Modules 5 to 8, for second semester. However, the adviser has still the leeway on the schedule of the conduct of the modules. Close coordination between Grade 12 advisers shall be done, should there be different advisers for the first and second semesters. The school guidance counselors or designated guidance coordinators shall assist the advisers and make the necessary arrangement on the conduct of the modules.
5. The Grade 12 Career Guidance Modules contain the following eight titles:
a. Entering the Exits;
b. Discovering the Cs;
c. The Choice of Choosing;
d. Myself in Another Person’s Shoes;
e. Future Combo, Activate!;
f. Keep Me Balanced!;
g. Version of Me 2.0; and
h. Ready to Take Off!
6. The school guidance counselors or designated guidance coordinators/ advocates shall accomplish the Monitoring Report Form provided in the enclosure. The report shall be submitted to the Division Youth Formation Coordinators (YFC) for consolidation. The designated Division YFC of Schools Governance Operations Division shall submit the division consolidated report to the regions. The designated Regional YFC from the Education Support Services Division shall submit the regional consolidated report to the Bureau of Learner Support Services-Youth Formation Division (BLSS-YFD). Soft copies shall be submitted to [email protected] in November 2018 for the first semester and on the second week of April 2019.
7. The modules can be accessed through the DepEd Learning Resource Portal.
8. Expenses for the supplies related to the conduct of the career guidance modules shall be charged to the downloaded funds subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
9. Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
ATTY. NEPOMUCENO A. MALALUAN
Grade 12 Career Guidance Modules
Module 1 – Entering the Exits
This module is designed for use by teachers. It is intended to help users facilitate the career decision-making of Grade 12 learners especially in choosing curriculum exit before they graduate from senior high school. The title of Module 1 “Entering the Exits” means entering a curriculum exit after Grade 12. The learners will have to choose whether he or she will proceed to college, do business, will look for a job, or will develop the middle-level skills.
The module will help learners identify their interests and personality traits through NCAE that will help them choose the curriculum exit suited for them. Through this module, Grade 12 learners can determine his/her life and career based on chosen curriculum exit. Lastly, it is expected that at the end of the module, Grade 12 learners will appreciate chosen life, career and curriculum exit based on one’s interests and personality type.
Module 2 – Discovering the Cs
Your learners are now another step closer to achieving life and career success!
From the previous module, they were able to identify their curriculum exit. Understanding where to start their career whether from employment, entrepreneurship, middle-level skills, and higher education upon graduation will give them better chances of success.
In this module, they will learn the relationship of academic achievement to life and career success. This will encourage the learners to strive harder under their respective strands and tracks consequently, improving their academic standing. The module is also designed for learners to utilize the Labor Market Information (LMI) for various job opportunities. Finally, they will be able to identify the seven C’s of Lifelong Skills that will prepare them to meet both the occupational changes and changing individual needs associated with life and career.
So, let us now open the door and explore the C’s of life and career!
Module 3 – The Choice of Choosing
The choice of choosing is an ultimate freedom granted to all human beings. This freedom of choosing can be best enjoyed to its fullest when practiced with responsibility. The choice of a profession is one of the lifetime decisions that every individual shall make. Self-introspection and careful self-analysis can be concrete bases for decision making. This module will provide you with an avenue to explore within yourself and thus enjoy the benefit and freedom of responsible choosing.
Module 4 – Myself in Another Person’s Shoes
As the old-aged saying connotes, your role as a teacher is to open doors of possibilities for the learners under your care. But you must also accept the fact that you cannot let them trudge the path you want them to take. You cannot decide on their behalf. You cannot force them to chew the chunks of information you served them. Be as it may, you have a crucial role in preparing your learners to pack their individual bags and take their own journey toward the realization of what they envision to become.
This module will help you make your learners realize that their dreams in the future could be achieved a step closer with the help of people who are in the profession or business that they envision to be in the future. Your inputs through the different activities that they will undergo will keep their enthusiasm burning to pursue their career choice.
Continue the learning journey through this module and help your learners affirm more their desire of becoming who they want to be in the future.
Module 5 – Future Combo, Activate!
“It takes two to tango!”
This cliche emphasizes the need for people to work zealously in tandem with others to make their endeavors succeed. The same holds true for learners’ career development. While they consider the personal, academic, and familial factors in their career development, they must likewise connect their life aspirations to the pressing demands and trends in the local and global scenario. The word combo, an abbreviated form of the word combination, signifies the convergence of personal career choices to the actual needs in the labor market and industries.
By doing so, Grade 12 learners are guided to fulfill the vision of the Department of Education, which expects them to “contribute meaningfully in building the nation.” This also ensures that learners are able to attain their life and career goals vis-a-vis working for the greater interests of the country at the macro-level. To help learners clearly determine the direction of their career choices, mission statements become essential as the baseline of their career plans and actions. This module intends to facilitate the learners’ ability to make such convergence possible.
Module 6 – Keep Me Balanced!
Values are a fundamental building block of your Mission in Life (Clarke, 2012). Brown (1995) in her Values-Based Holistic Approach to Career Development third tenets stated that values play an important role in the career decision-making process of individuals more than their interests. An individual’s value orientation greatly molds and influences his/her functioning as this presents the direction to a desired end state and has a central role in setting goals or expected outcomes. Values also serve as the basis for evaluating one’s own actions and the action of others, particularly in terms of how the individual and others must function (Villar, 2009).
This module will let our learners identify their possessed values to keep them balanced with those values shared by their significant others—school, family, and community. They may be able to know their selves better as they continue navigating vast opportunities in their lifelong journey.
Module 7 – Version of Me 2.0
This module entitled “Version of Me 2.0” refers to the individual who is discovering the real Version of Me 2.0, that can be awesome in his/her own way and able to manifest greatness in pursuing a lifelong career. It is a transition from school to the curriculum exits that the learner will plan for the future job, that he/she will be productive and persistently sustain in the real world of work—that’s the real version of me 2.0.
In order to figure out how learners will work with Me 2.0, the learners should understand who they are and how they function well. This will be a great help to our learners to be aware and be guided on what they want to become, who they want to be, and know where to begin. What traits will learners possess that they can be proud of? No matter where the learners are or what moment they are in, let us take this module and learn things forward together.
Module 8 – Ready to Take Off!
Congratulations, your learners are now ready to create their Lifelong Learning Plan and to conduct personal and career development activities that will help them grow and advance in their life and career!
From the previous module, your learners identified the rights and responsibilities of the employees and employers. They also learned the importance of work values and work ethics in becoming successful in one’s chosen career, and evaluated extrinsic and intrinsic motivation for sustainable work satisfaction.
In this final module, you will guide your learners to conduct their career development gap analysis and develop their lifelong learning plan. Your learners should be aware that their lifelong learning plan will determine the kind of citizens they will be in the future. They will also be asked to write their original career philosophy expressing their love and passion in their chosen career.
Fasten your seatbelt and get ready for exciting and challenging tasks ahead of you!